Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
HI
I am looking at increasing my Solar from 100W to 200w by adding a second 100w panel. However I dont have a lot of cable to play with between the existing panel and the waterproof housing to try and connect in some MC4 connectors and then use a y Splitter to connect the two panels. There is maybe a couple of inches of cable I can free up between the MPPT controler and the panel but I am not sure it will be enough not to compromise any connector I put in if a do cut it. Any ideas?
Plan B may be to remove the 100w panel and fit a single 200w panel.
Thanks Howard

Attachments

• Panel cables.pdf
    377.1 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Having looked again. I may just rip the old panel off and stick a single one on. Having had a closer look, there are signs of cracking on the edges of the current flexi panel, which may lead to premature failure.

Can anyone tell me what is the diference in these panels other than price?
<Broken link removed>
<Broken link removed>

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The second panel is newer technology called shingle cell arrangement, more efficient, lighter and smaller that first.
The first is std. cell arrangement but better for PWM controllers.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Am I daft? The panel outputs are circular single core cable ie pos and neg. If you put both of them side by side thru a simple gland they are likely to leak into the connections area . Also these pics never show the hole in the roof down which the cable has to go. Which is clearly a leak opportunity.
If you are doubling up then I would use an IP rated box with a gasket and four cable entry glands, they are cheap enough and I would still fill all the holes with good mastic.
Now as I understand it, panels in series will give a higher voltage but failure of a cell will affect the output. Panels in parallel are better from that point of view but you may need thicker cable and the higher current mppt controllers are more expensive.
Mike

OP
OP
Howard B
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Decided to take everything out down ti the MPPT controller. Ill run new cables with the MC 4 connectors out to the roof and fit a new waterproof entry box. New 175w panel and the jobs a good un. I think it will take me longer to remove the mastic than everything else together. My MPPT controller is good for 220w so shouldnt be a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back