Connecting solar regulator to Schaudt EBL30 (1 Viewer)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I wonder if anyone could help with a solar problem. My solar regulator seems to have gone kaput, dosen't seem to be charging batteries, its a PV logic regulator fitted by Travelworld and Ive never liked it. I am thinking of replacing it with a Victron smartsolar reg
victron 100 15.jpg
, I want to wire it to the solar plug of the Schaudt EBL 30
ebl30plug.jpg
the regulator has two connections to battery, but the EBL solar plug has 3 wires, my question is how to connect the two, As I'm sure you have gathered I am not by any means an electrical wizz :ROFLMAO: .Any advice would be appreciated.

Feb 6, 2014
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer BC584 Classic
Exp
Since 2011
I have EBL 99 and purchased a

Schaudt LRM 1218 MPPT / MPP Dual Battery Solar Regulator​

This provided a link wire for the EBL as well, making an easy fitment (cost about £180)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Is this of any use?

Looks like one of the connectors is a data connector, so you can see the output of the solar panel on the van's main display. You'll lose this with the Victron, but the app will give you far more information.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I have EBL 99 and purchased a

Schaudt LRM 1218 MPPT / MPP Dual Battery Solar Regulator​

This provided a link wire for the EBL as well, making an easy fitment (cost about £180)
Yes my initial thoughts were for a LRM 1218, but they are thin on the ground, a couple of German suppliers, but since Brexit dont seem to post to UK.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I think the 3 cables are one each for Hab and cab battery positive and common negative.
How about one of these Voltronic MPP

compatable with EBL
Thanks, thats certainly a possibility, I'll see if I can find more information.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The 3-way connector : Pin 1 = negative, Pin 2 = Starter battery positive, Pin 3 = Leisure battery positive. You can see pins 1 and 3 are labelled, and pin 2 is the centre pin. I think the suggestion of a Votronic Duo is a good idea. It will keep both batteries charged.

The connector is a 3-way MNL (Mate'N'Lok) type, available from automotive electrical suppliers like Altec Automotive or 12VoltPlanet. They do a kit that contains a male and female connector shell, and some separate pins and receptacles. You crimp the pin onto the wire, and push it into the shell until it clicks locked.

You'll need crimping pliers. There's two types, One type does insulated pins with red, blue or yellow plastic insulation. However you want the type that crimps non-insulated pins. Or maybe a friendly garage will crimp the pins onto some wires for you, it only takes a few seconds.

Be careful of the colours, it's the opposite of what some people expect. Black = leisure battery positive, Brown = negative.

Also be careful not to confuse the names: Victron, Votronic and Voltronic.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
The 3-way connector : Pin 1 = negative, Pin 2 = Starter battery positive, Pin 3 = Leisure battery positive. You can see pins 1 and 3 are labelled, and pin 2 is the centre pin. I think the suggestion of a Votronic Duo is a good idea. It will keep both batteries charged.

The connector is a 3-way MNL (Mate'N'Lok) type, available from automotive electrical suppliers like Altec Automotive or 12VoltPlanet. They do a kit that contains a male and female connector shell, and some separate pins and receptacles. You crimp the pin onto the wire, and push it into the shell until it clicks locked.

You'll need crimping pliers. There's two types, One type does insulated pins with red, blue or yellow plastic insulation. However you want the type that crimps non-insulated pins. Or maybe a friendly garage will crimp the pins onto some wires for you, it only takes a few seconds.

Be careful of the colours, it's the opposite of what some people expect. Black = leisure battery positive, Brown = negative.

Also be careful not to confuse the names: Victron, Votronic and Voltronic.
Thanks for that, really useful.

bz1109

Free Member
Apr 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Grand Canyon
Hey super dumb question I have a similar setup and only have a 2 cable connector to my EBL 30 (there is a empty middle slot pin 2 on the BLOCK 6 connector) I want my starter battery to be charged. If I connect another positive cable from the MPPT to the center position PIN 2 will that start to charge the starter battery? Or is there something else I need to so?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hey super dumb question I have a similar setup and only have a 2 cable connector to my EBL 30 (there is a empty middle slot pin 2 on the BLOCK 6 connector) I want my starter battery to be charged. If I connect another positive cable from the MPPT to the center position PIN 2 will that start to charge the starter battery? Or is there something else I need to so?
You need a dual output solar regulator or if you don't want to change your single output regulator you can fit either a Battery master or CBE solar split charge relay.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I have a similar setup and only have a 2 cable connector to my EBL 30 (there is a empty middle slot pin 2 on the BLOCK 6 connector) I want my starter battery to be charged. If I connect another positive cable from the MPPT to the center position PIN 2 will that start to charge the starter battery? Or is there something else I need to so?
That pin, Pin2 on Block 6, is connected to the starter battery inside the EBL30. Not true of all EBLs, but OK in this case. However you need a proper second output on the MPPT, you shouldn't just connect another wire to the existing output. If you do, you are effectively connecting the leisure and starter batteries together with a wired connection, and that can cause all kinds of problems.

bz1109

Free Member
Apr 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Grand Canyon
OK good to know Dual output MPPT here we come. Any recommendations for a 310 watt system? I like Victron's stuff.. Oh and Thanks this probably saved me all the problems you speak about. ;)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Yes my initial thoughts were for a LRM 1218, but they are thin on the ground, a couple of German suppliers, but since Brexit dont seem to post to UK.
By the end of May I hope to have one to sell. Works well at the moment but I want one with a Lithium profile and also a link to my AES fridge's solar option.

bz1109

Free Member
Apr 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Grand Canyon
The Schaudt LRM 1218 says 275 watt max in a perfect world my system is 310 watt but I doubt I would get that. Would this Controller still make sense?

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
By the end of May I hope to have one to sell. Works well at the moment but I want one with a Lithium profile and also a link to my AES fridge's solar option.
My solar panel (flexible) is fubar at the moment :frowny: so having a rethink on the power management front.

bz1109

Free Member
Apr 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Grand Canyon
Last question on this issue for me. If I get the Victron Blue Solar PWM charge controller DUO and I put the Positive from battery 1 into the Leisure slot and Battery 2 in the Starter slot of the EBL can I share a single Negative from either of the controllers battery slots by putting that in the negative slot of the EBL 30

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
This solar controller is capable of charging two entirely separate batteries with separate negatives as well as positives. In a motorhome the negatives of the two batteries are always joined together, and connected to the chassis. I think you would need to connect the negative from the negative slot of the EBL30 to one of the controller battery negatives, then do a short wire link from there to the other controller battery negative.

Note the bit in the manual that says always connect Battery 1 first, before Battery 2.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
A word of warning that you should check the spec of the ebl... Most are limited to a max of 14 amps solar through the ebl.
A 310 watt system may push that limit.

Worth a check, before installing.

bz1109

Free Member
Apr 16, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer Grand Canyon
The 155w panels (x2) are rated at about 7.1 amp max output per panel and this is obviously in perfect conditions. The EBL 30 I think new version has a fuse on the solar for 15amp. So I think we are good. I am gonna wire the positives into their respective pin locations on the Block 6 of the EBL with negative from Battery 1 on the controller to the EBL and a jumper from Battery 2 negative on controller to Battery 1 negative on Controller (Victron Blue Solar PWM DUO).. Thanks for everyones advice and help this saved me a ton of time not having to run direct to Starter Battery from the Controller.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When I fitted my Votronic duo , I connected both battery 1 and 2 going straight to the EBL output terminals.

Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Ayer's Rock
Exp
Since 2015
Hi I've followed this thread - thanks very much- about linking Dokio 110w solar panel to EBL 30 Block 6 to trickle charge leisure battery. Wired the 2-wire cable from the Dokio 'battery socket' on controller to pin 1 (negative-black) and pin 3 (positive-red) using 3 way MTL connector and get about 14v on screen BUT zero amps. I find the controller instructions a bit tricky to follow but I presume it's not charging the leisure battery. Any ideas what's wrong?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Did you fit a fuse in the Solar slot? The input from block 6 Pin 3 goes through a fuse, the one on the extreme left labelled 'Solar'. 15A is the suggested value.

Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Ayer's Rock
Exp
Since 2015
Yes - there was a 15A fuse already installed.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Do you have a multimeter? If you remove that solar fuse, you should get the leisure battery voltage on one of the terminals. and the solar controller output voltage on the other terminal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back