Connecting solar panel (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have not used solar before. I have a panel but no controller. I think the last guy just put the wires straight on the battery. Is that safe? Will it work? I've seen controllers on Amazon for about £8 will they do the job? Sorry for so many questions. But this is all very new to me

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Depends on the size of the solar panel. A small one that fits on the dashboard would be ok to fit directly to the battery but anything above 15 watts would have to have a controller.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The solar panel on its own will generate over 20+ volts so a direct connection will overcharge the battery. It does need a regulator to convert the voltage. Some very small panels are connected straight to the battery but this is only because that are so low powered they don't go above any critical voltage.

Ref cheap regulators / controllers I see no issues and my past van had a £10 eBay version that worked perfectly for 5 years before I sold the van with it still fitted and working. They do the job for the money (y)

Get it fitted...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have not used solar before. I have a panel but no controller. I think the last guy just put the wires straight on the battery. Is that safe? Will it work? I've seen controllers on Amazon for about £8 will they do the job? Sorry for so many questions. But this is all very new to me
You can connect the panel directly to the battery, that's exactly how cheap controllers work, dragging the panel voltage down to the same as the battery. If you can remember to disconnect it once the voltage climbs above something like 14.5 volts then it will work. Forget to disconnect it once and you might be needing a new battery and with a strong sense of regret at not buying a controller!

An MPPT type controller, possibly £60+, can give up to half as much again charging current as a cheap controller but cheap ones work, just not as well as a good one. Take your choice but fit some sort of controller. :)

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
thank you everyone for the prompt replies. I will fit a controller before I use it. I have just had to replace the leisure battery and this may be part of the reason.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Really need to know what size panel and how you use your van.

As said if the panel is on the roof it's lightly to be too big to connect direct to the battery.
If it has been wired like that I would disconnect it now or you will be needing new batteries.

If you have a Brit van with a Sargent system the Sargent chargers have a cheap charger built into them normally OK for up to 120 watts.

As John says cheap ones work just not very well. Worth investing in a decent MPPT regulator. If you are thinking of adding more solar buy a regulator suitable for future needs. A Votronic or Victron depending on power £80 to £200.

Reactions: DBK
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you're going to buy a controller, consider getting one that has two outputs, that will also keep the starter battery topped up. It's annoying to find out these things exist just after you buy a single output controller.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Thanks everyone. I've just checked the panel and it has a controller built in, my fault hadn't looked at it before now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back