Connecting smart devices via the Web (1 Viewer)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Advice wanted please:

I want to be able to control smart sockets, lights and other devices remotely for a property that others will visit.

Devices will be connected to the Internet via a mifi.

Is there any difference between Alexa or Google Home or other hubs regarding the range of devices that can be controlled? What one would you recommend?

If I buy smart devices from different companies, could I control all of them via the hub (e.g Alexa) or same Google Home Routine if I was not connected to the same WiFi network? Some smart sockets I've seen suggest I would need to use their specific app - I'd prefer not to need an app from every supplier and prefer to just use remote connection to Alexa/Google. Would I have to go down the potentially much more expensive route of Nest or similar?

Could a smart socket type connection be used to turn a storage heater on or off?

Can a guest at the property override any smart switches etc while using the property and could I resume control once they have left if they have, for example, turned lights off? I wouldn't want or need them to have to install any apps or connect to the device hub but it would be useful for them to have voice control of devices.

How reliable have you found smart device web connections? If there's a power cut, do they reliably reconnect.

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The answer is there is a multitude of ways, you can do home automation without Google or Amazon gathering your data.

Broken Link Removed you can use Apple Home or google play if you wish or another company called if this then that IFTT

You could also consider Shelly which is a fraction of the cost of Phillips along with HAS IO

Consider how your connecting to the internet and if you opening security points to your home, it maybe you do not connect to the internet just have home automation isolated.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I use Samsung Smartthings which is hub based using an ethernet connection and can be used with or without Google Home and Amazon Alexa and also integrates with lots of other manufacturers kit allowing both local and remote remote control.

Amazon Alexa voice control is a bit hit and miss if you're not actually there so use the Samsung Smartthings app on your phone and you can control all the individual devices and importantly see if they are on or off from anywhere in the world.

Home automation very glitchy and is not 100% reliable and often needs a little bit of time to settle down. All my automations have manual override so that they still work when the internet is down or when software updates have gone wrong.

Mark

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We use Hive for our heating controls. Been very impressed so far
They do power points and lights too which are all controlled from a single interface

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Mattyjwr

I will be interested in what others have to say but there is one issue I have found with Alexa devices which could be a problem for you.

The devices normally rely on their ability to connect to the internet via your router and I see in your case you are considering using a Mifi, presumably tucked away out of access for the visitors. Now once the devices are set up by you there is not a problem but in the event of a power cut or if they want get around your system then they could turn off the mains power then turn it on again..

The issue that appears to occur is that as soon as the power is restored the Alexa items will immediately seek your Router/Mifi and if they don't find it within quite a short period then they give up and don'tgtry again later. The problem is that with most routers the time it takes to boot up, connect to the Internet and be ready for the Alexa devices is longer than the time the devices try to log in. Whether this issue will occur with the Mifi is down to a test. So you finish up with a system that is not working. The solution is you then have to go around and restart each Alexa item and it then will log in. Difficult to do when you are not there.

I know there is a landlord version of the Hive system so that the landlord can set the Temperature etc and the tenant cannot control the central heating. Whether you can set up a battery powered system for the Mifi, via say a Power Bank, so that it still works whilst mains power is off then the backup is recharged when the power is restored that may be a help.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi Mattyjwr

I will be interested in what others have to say but there is one issue I have found with Alexa devices which could be a problem for you.

The devices normally rely on their ability to connect to the internet via your router and I see in your case you are considering using a Mifi, presumably tucked away out of access for the visitors. Now once the devices are set up by you there is not a problem but in the event of a power cut or if they want get around your system then they could turn off the mains power then turn it on again..

The issue that appears to occur is that as soon as the power is restored the Alexa items will immediately seek your Router/Mifi and if they don't find it within quite a short period then they give up and don'tgtry again later. The problem is that with most routers the time it takes to boot up, connect to the Internet and be ready for the Alexa devices is longer than the time the devices try to log in. Whether this issue will occur with the Mifi is down to a test. So you finish up with a system that is not working. The solution is you then have to go around and restart each Alexa item and it then will log in. Difficult to do when you are not there.

I know there is a landlord version of the Hive system so that the landlord can set the Temperature etc and the tenant cannot control the central heating. Whether you can set up a battery powered system for the Mifi, via say a Power Bank, so that it still works whilst mains power is off then the backup is recharged when the power is restored that may be a help.

I was thinking along similar lines...the advantage of the mifi is that it would last for around 5 hours on battery if there was a power cut so would be ready for the devices when they restart... If the power cut lasts longer, I'd need someone to restart the mifi.

Any ideas how long a sim router takes to restart?

Do Google connected devices reset faster or keep searching for a Google mini or hub?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I was thinking along similar lines...the advantage of the mifi is that it would last for around 5 hours on battery if there was a power cut so would be ready for the devices when they restart... If the power cut lasts longer, I'd need someone to restart the mifi.

Any ideas how long a sim router takes to restart?

Do Google connected devices reset faster or keep searching for a Google mini or hub?
We use Hive for various controlled bulbs and to work the central heating and water. We have 2 Ring doorbells with cameras and 2 external cameras. We also have a couple of controllable sockets, (one switches the TV on on) and an internal camera. All of these can be controlled using the Alexa app or by their own apps or a browser on my phone of laptop as long as I have an internet connection. I can also switch them on or off or set a schedule for any of them.

With the doorbells I get notified by the Ring app on laptop and phone if the bell is pressed and can see and talk to the person at the door. With the ring cameras I get notified if any movement is recorded and can view it live, or look at it and download it later.

Our mains router and all the devices are back working within 10 minutes or so of the power being off. I do not have a problem with Alexa reconnecting after a power cut. But in reality the cameras, bulbs, doorbells, central heating and sockets can all be controlled by their own apps on my phone anyway. All Alexa (or Google) does is to give you another channel with one overarching app for them to work through.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
So I've started the shopping and am tying to find a WiFi Controlled 13A Fused Switched Spur that can be controlled via Google.... The only one I've seen so far is only controlled by the app that comes with it.

Can anyone recommend one? I would like to use some for my storage heaters.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
So I've started the shopping and am tying to find a WiFi Controlled 13A Fused Switched Spur that can be controlled via Google.... The only one I've seen so far is only controlled by the app that comes with it.

Alexa & Google Assistant can piggy back onto Logitech Harmony Hub's devices - and more relevant to you, switched mains plugs from Seetime Smart & Smart Life

edit: so maybe your plug's app is also GA ready

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Alexa & Google Assistant can piggy back onto Logitech Harmony Hub's devices - and more relevant to you, switched mains plugs from Seetime Smart & Smart Life

edit: so maybe your plug's app is also GA ready
This is the one that I waa looking at but no GA option. It will do the job but not be as clear as convenient aa using GA.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I don’t know much about these things, as I’m not “in to“ them. But be wary of things that require a lot of power through them. I’ve got a customer who had one to auto start his hot tub, which is rated less than 13amp. His 13amp auto switch caught fire.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Why does it have to be a fused spur? If it is 13A you can use a 13A socket and then use a smart plug. Lots around and many work with Alexa (don't know about Google). Obvious example is from Hive, but there are lots of others around. And even if they only work using their own apps those apps can be used anywhere where you have the internet. .

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Why does it have to be a fused spur? If it is 13A you can use a 13A socket and then use a smart plug. Lots around and many work with Alexa (don't know about Google). Obvious example is from Hive, but there are lots of others around. And even if they only work using their own apps those apps can be used anywhere where you have the internet. .
The storage heaters are on Fused spurs. I want to keep them hard wired. I'm trying to get smart devices that I can control from GA to make it easier for me to control remotely and visitors when they are in the property, via the Google Hub that will be there rather than having to download smart apps onto their own devices.

This is the link I had planned to share yesterday: Amazon product ASIN B07228W28L

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back