Connecting permanent connectors for a smart charger (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We have had a problem keeping the vehicle battery charged. The van (Bailey 620 Approach) is stored securely indoors so the solar panel can't keep the vehicle battery charged.

Accordingly, we have bought a smart charger that allows for the vehicle battery to be be kept permanently on charge without risking over charging.

The charger allows for permanent leads to be connected to the vehicle battery so that you can easily connect the charger to the battery by plugging the charger into a socket rather than to the battery itself.
My question is related to attaching the permanent leads to the battery. Will I risk a shock trying to connect the lead to the positive (red lead) if the black lead is connected? I'm reluctant to disconnect the live lead on the battery completely in case I lose all memory settings such as the radio etc.

The sequence I propose is:

1. Disconnect negative battery lead.
2. Loosen bolt on on positive terminal lead but not remove it from the terminal post and then place the permanent charging lead over thread and replace bolt and tighten.
3. Perform the same on the negative lead.

If anyone can confirm whether this is the correct way to proceed (or indeed warn me if I'm doing it wrong) I'd be grateful.

Thanks in anticipation.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As you already disconnected the neg terminal from the battery in effect you removed the battery from the electrics.

No problem at all to also remove the pos terminal.

You cannot get a shock from a 12v battery...the current is DC and the voltage is too low

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Could you just attach it using crocodile clips?would make connecting/dis-connecting much simpler and easier to change the ends on the charger.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The main reason for removing the neg terminal first is if you should accidently touch the spanner to earth it wont do anything at all.
If you were doing the pos terminal first and the spanner touched earth there would be a flash and loud crack with the possibility of the spanner heat welding to earth.
Wont do your nerves or the battery any good at all.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Once you remove the negative terminal you have effectively removed the battery connection from the vehicle so if your radio needs a code you will have to recode it..
After that make your connections for the charger leads and bring them out to wherever you plan..
Remake the negative connection... you may heare a load of clicking as the battery powers up the van electronics... give it time to settle down before switching anything on.. ( I'd do the same before disconnecting the battery.. ie don't use anything say 5min before disconnecting.. )

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@pappajohn- yes I see. Your second post dealt with my anxiety. I've in the past had quite a belt when jump starting a car( not this van).
As the battery is effectively disconnected when the negative lead is removed, how are the settings saved? I've read when people talk about disconnecting the battery to resolve various issues, the advice is not to do so as settings, that require the battery connected, will be lost.
@Red Dragon the permanent leads to the battery are to be preferred becuase you can then bring the lead out into the cab and just connect the charger as and when. Otherwise, you'd have to lift the carpet, get access to the battery etc every time you need the charger.
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@andy63. Thanks also for the helpful advice. Luckily, I have the radio code.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As the battery is effectively disconnected when the negative lead is removed, how are the settings saved? I've read when people talk about disconnecting the battery to resolve various issues, the advice is not to do so as settings, that require the battery connected, will be lost.
The only setting you may lose ate the radio memory.
Anything on the vehicle will have flash memory and while setting may be reset to default you wont lose them.
Many things learn their settings as you drive.
A performance trick on my car is to remove and then refit the fuse protecting the automatic geabox electronic 'brain'.
This resets the brain to default and erases the 'grandads been driving' memory learnt while town driving for weeks on end.
gear changes are better and the car goes like a rocket....until i have another prolonged town driving period then it learns the different driving style.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back