Connecting inverter to existing 13amp socket (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
this is how i would do it if you want a pretty simple solution and if youre then just gong to use it purely for inverter 'power' only !! just disconnect existing cables and fit some sort of junction box to ensure the existing wires are safe, then connect a cable, which is plugged into the inverter to the socket terminals

i dont need to explain about electrical safety etc, etc but if you are unsure then get a professional in to do the job

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
You could just run an extension from your inverter around the van to a socket of your choice, you would have to disconnect that socket from the vans 240v and wire your extension lead into that socket. Personally I just use a double socket extension reel into the inverter then move that to where it’s required, usually out side so the wife can use her washing machine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
Depends if you want the sockets to automatically switch between MHU and Inverter power. If not, then the above advice is sound enough.

If you do want them to switch over automatically (which is a project I'm about to start), then you need a mains triggered Connector Relay. Something like this. Sockets are connected to all four outputs (just join Live to Live terminals, and Neutral to Neutral), Inverter power is connected to the NC feeds, MHU is connected to both NO feeds, and the relay trigger.

As soon as MHU is plugged in, it triggers the relay and the feed is changed from the inverter to MHU. Simples!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can anyone give me some advice as to if its possible to connect an inverter to an existing 13amp socket and if so how To do it,
Thanks for any advice given
The neatest solution is to fit a relay which disconnects the sockets from the mains and connects to the inverter output. This is what I did but it isn't a simple DIY job and you need to be confident working with potentially lethal voltages and ensure you don't create a fire hazard. Sourcing the correct relay was a bit of a chore too. There's a link in my signature below on how I fitted mine. The relay looks like this:

1593081944587.png

The simplest solution is either fit a new socket or run an extension lead from the inverter to where you need the socket.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I put a double pole 20a changeover switch on ours so I can manually select over to hook up for the hair dryer. Something like this, the switches are about £10 from amazon...

20200625_114618.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B07L8SJXGV

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
As per DBK, the neatest solution is indeed to fit a relay and then to splice into the feed supplying the sockets you wish to power. I personally used the following relay device purchased via eBay:

Inverter relay

I'm no expert but if you were to just plug into a socket from the inverter, this would also power up all 230v devices e.g. fridge and battery charger.

An inverter installation can be either an easy or complicated installation but if your not confident with electrics, it can also be life threatening!

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I went the route of wiring in additional sockets powered by the inverter mounted next to the original EHU 240 sockets. I used sockets with flaps that denote that they are inverter sockets.

View attachment 401695

View attachment 401696
That's a great solution Paul. Could you share where you sourced the sockets?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
That's a great solution Paul. Could you share where you sourced the sockets?

I bought and fitted ours a couple of years ago so suppliers and prices have changed.
They are CBE C-Line and having had a quick scan of the internet the prices vary widely for the same item. I'll list the parts but would advise you to hunt the best prices.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=233590611400

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Depends if you want the sockets to automatically switch between MHU and Inverter power. If not, then the above advice is sound enough.

If you do want them to switch over automatically (which is a project I'm about to start), then you need a mains triggered Connector Relay. Something like this. Sockets are connected to all four outputs (just join Live to Live terminals, and Neutral to Neutral), Inverter power is connected to the NC feeds, MHU is connected to both NO feeds, and the relay trigger.

As soon as MHU is plugged in, it triggers the relay and the feed is changed from the inverter to MHU. Simples!

Thats how I did ours, but I wired it the other way round so the inverter triggered the relay. That way the relay isn't being engergised for days and getting warm while on EHU and only on for short bursts instead. Plus if on a low amp EHU we can turn the inverter on and it still switches the sockets. Seemed a more useful setup,

This is the contactor I used
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=222284414367

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fitted a 30 amp changeover relay which swaps all the sockets over but the fridge and charger only feed from the mains input.
Default is all sockets connected to inverter plug into EHU and sockets swap to the incoming mains. My relay is mains powered to cut down on battery drain as we rarely use EHU.

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
Thats how I did ours, but I wired it the other way round so the inverter triggered the relay. That way the relay isn't being engergised for days and getting warm while on EHU and only on for short bursts instead. Plus if on a low amp EHU we can turn the inverter on and it still switches the sockets. Seemed a more useful setup,
Good idea. We’re the other way around, though; we are rarely on EHU. I like the idea of also being able to choose which to use.

BishBosh

Free Member
Sep 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Upgrades!!! of course
I used a NDS Priority Switch. With this you can choose what is run on the inverter and what is on the EHU. It auto switches when EHU is on.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I may well, in the future, automate mine. Currently I use a manual switchover but as the switch is in an outside locker, it can sometimes be inconvenient. Replacing the manual switch with a 240v contactor would be straightforward.

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I bought and fitted ours a couple of years ago so suppliers and prices have changed.
They are CBE C-Line and having had a quick scan of the internet the prices vary widely for the same item. I'll list the parts but would advise you to hunt the best prices.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=233590611400
Great feedback thanks Paul

Mr mrs tupcox

Free Member
May 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
10 years
We just run new cable to 2 new sockets 1 for hover and other stuff and 1 for the microwave.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I fitted a 30 amp changeover relay which swaps all the sockets over but the fridge and charger only feed from the mains input.
Default is all sockets connected to inverter plug into EHU and sockets swap to the incoming mains. My relay is mains powered to cut down on battery drain as we rarely use EHU.
which is the correct and safe way to do it

Don’t forget to install an additional RCD in series on the inverter output

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have some extra sockets that are fed by the inverter. The mains and inverter circuits are kept entirely separate. The RCD needs to be a 2 Pole one because many inverters do not have a simple positive and negative and a 1 Pole RCD will only switch off half the power, leaving the other wire live.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I went the route of wiring in additional sockets powered by the inverter mounted next to the original EHU 240 sockets. I used sockets with flaps that denote that they are inverter sockets.
I went same route using separate sockets, i realy like the use of deliberately different sockets. Currently my use of ehu and inverter is so small i would direct you to some other method to alternate use, relay if you are resistive to manual switching.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back