Connecting a calor type bottle onto an existing Gaslow system using bbq point. (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Christmas Greetings,

We have a new to us van which has a Gaslow system already fitted (1x11kgs, 1x 6kgs).
The van also has an external bbq point.
I have seen posts on here where Funsters have utilised the bbq point to get gas into the van.

Assuming we are in Spain (and we do have a Repsol 11/13kgs bottle).
Question. How do we connect Spanish bottle?
We have a Reg. for bottle and also an adaptor.
Is it a case of attach Reg. to bottle and, using a pigtail with a bayonet, attach that to van, or what?
Over to you.

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Yes you just need a regulator on the bottle then flexi gas pipe from regulator to the connector shown in the pic then plug straight into the bbq point on Mh ok

Attachments

• 39ADA38E-6F86-42A4-9CD8-E6B8AE4323E5.png
    39ADA38E-6F86-42A4-9CD8-E6B8AE4323E5.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Here’s a selection of threads you might want to read Derek

<Broken link removed>

basically, regulator on bottle and ok to connect via gas point, I had to do that in Morocco this year as I’d lost my Gaslow hose that connects to the external filler point. Merry ChrIstmas to you and Mary btw :xThumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Here’s a selection of threads you might want to read Derek

<Broken link removed>

basically, regulator on bottle and ok to connect via gas point, I had to do that in Morocco this year as I’d lost my Gaslow hose that connects to the external filler point. Merry ChrIstmas to you and Mary btw :xThumb:
Thank you Simon for the info. and the good wishes. Right back to you and Margaret.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
There are several types of bbq connector you could use not all of them allow gas to flow both ways.
The one that flatpackchicken suggested is probably the most used--- I noticed when I ordered mine that there are two different ones that look the same----- I dont know what the difference is------ they are so cheap I would suggest you buy some extras---- one for bbq one for gas in pipe and you will find excuses to use others.
They do shut off the gas when you disconnect but nice to have a valve for safety.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The safest way is the proper hose that connects to your filler point. 🙂

Screenshot_20201226-220735_Chrome.jpg

Then just an adaptor for Spanish bottles Propano and Butano Repsol or Cepsa are all the same. 👍
If you feed through a bbq point you need to fit a regulator and best to turn your other one off. 🤔 Bob.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
The safest way is the proper hose that connects to your filler point. 🙂

View attachment 451454
Then just an adaptor for Spanish bottles Propano and Butano Repsol or Cepsa are all the same. 👍
If you feed through a bbq point you need to fit a regulator and best to turn your other one off. 🤔 Bob.
If you read the relevant BSEN 1949 standards then there is technically only one way to connect an external reserve cylinder.
Here’s a kit that offers full compliance with the requirements of the standards,

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have seen posts on here where Funsters have utilised the bbq point to get gas into the van.
In doing so Derek, you must turn off the Gaslow cylinders first, so only working off your external cylinder's regulator.

If going in through the Gaslow filler point, using the correct adapter and pipe, at least one of the cylinders must be open, as your external supply will have to go through the Gaslow regulator.

HTH,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Upvote 0

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
Bad idea IMO.
Would you back feed 240V electricity into the van using an external 13A socket and a lead with a plug on both ends?
A gas outlet is just that. An outlet. It is designed such that it stops the gas flow outwards before disconnection.
When the gas is flowing in the wrong direction, and the connection is inadvertently broken, gas will continue to flow out of the hose end with potential catastrophic results.

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
When the gas is flowing in the wrong direction, and the connection is inadvertently broken, gas will continue to flow out of the hose end with potential catastrophic results.
I appreciate where you are coming from Barty, but not in our case, as we have non return gas connections installed shortly after the regulator on the external cylinder, to the BBQ point, which allows me to instantly disconnect and thereby shut off the supply, should there ever be a problem. I can't access my set up right now to provide a photo, but it's as safe as you are going to get.

A fellow Funster put me on to them, and having tried them out and leak tested them to my satisfaction, I in turn have passed that info on to others. The choice is then theirs. (y)

1609139016658.png

The connection to the gas fill point from the external cylinder, using the Gaslow hose and cylinder adapter, is no more of a danger than using an Autogas pump hose and connector to the same fill point.................IMHO.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Hi there Jock
Can you remember where you got the non return gas connections from.
I can't find them on internet search anywhere.

Upvote 0

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
Why on earth do that when Gaslow sell a perfectly good remote cylinder adaptor pipe to simply screw in to the filler point....then it safely goes through the onboard regulator.... in fact i am sat in our van right now using exactly that set up...

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Taking into account EVERYTHING being said here about the do's and don'ts and the pros and cons, would a bullfinch allow reverse flow?

Upvote 0

Sageman

Free Member
Oct 14, 2016
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
15 years
Christmas Greetings,

We have a new to us van which has a Gaslow system already fitted (1x11kgs, 1x 6kgs).
The van also has an external bbq point.

Assuming we are in Spain (and we do have a Repsol 11/13kgs bottle).
Question. How do we connect Spanish bottle?
We have a Reg. for bottle and also an adaptor.
Is it a case of attach Reg. to bottle and, using a pigtail with a bayonet, attach that to van, or what?
Over to you.
Make sure the regulator is the same bar value as the one on the van

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Taking into account EVERYTHING being said here about the do's and don'ts and the pros and cons, would a bullfinch allow reverse flow?
Yes they do but manufacturers state it’s not actually to be used like that .
As I said the requirements of the relevant standards only acceptable secondary cylinder connection is as follows or similar.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back