Connecting a bank of 4 leisure batteries. (1 Viewer)

earthTree

Free Member
May 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello there I hope you are well and coping okay during this time, my happiness tends to come and go in waves.

I've put off connecting these batteries for a long time since corona hit.
I have 4 - 75amphour gel batteries with a solar charge controller and a battery charger controller.

I've planned to attach 30amp fuses to the batteries but how many would I need? one in between each battery?
I bought different lengths of cable to attach them thinking that as long as each battery was connected to another with the same length that would be okay. The batteries will not sit equal distances from each other, 2 under the seat and two outside of the seat.

I've also thought about upgrading the battery charger as its only 16amps.
Any other useful information to this planned setup would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• bat1.jpeg
    bat1.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 57
  • bat2.jpeg
    bat2.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 57

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
When wiring batteries in parallel you should take the feeds of each end of the bank so the load is shared evenly between the batteries.
1589800632300.png

If the batteries are fairly close together you can just have one fuse for the bank, if spaced apart best to fuse each battery Individual fuses 30 amps should be OK for a single overall fuse I would fit a 50 amp.
If the mains charger is going to be used a lot I would upgrade to a 40 amp charger, whatever charger you use make sure it has a Gel setting or the batteries will never get a full charge.

OP
OP
earthTree

earthTree

Free Member
May 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
I'm a newbie
any charger you'd suggest?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
earthTree

earthTree

Free Member
May 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
I'm a newbie
Also I will have 4 batteries, Will the setup be the same?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
When wiring batteries in parallel you should take the feeds of each end of the bank so the load is shared evenly between the batteries.
Agreed, that method is better than connecting the positive and negative load wire to the same battery. But the best method for four or indeed any other number of batteries is to connect all the positives by wires of equal length to a common point, such as a fuse or a busbar. Since you will no doubt be putting a fuse close to the batteries that is fairly simple to do.

Do the negatives in a similar way. Connect all the negatives to a common point by wires of equal length. The common point can be a busbar or distribution point. If you are fitting a shunt for a battery monitor on the negative side, then one of its terminals is a good common point,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Same as a standard fuse but bigger. These people do all the types. The holders can interlock to stick together, and you can get a fixing plate that will screw to a flat surface and can slide a fuseholder onto it.
Also look at 'Midi' fuses. Convenient if your wires have eyelet ends.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you need 4 batteries I assume you are using an inverter. Your fuses need to be adaquate for the very high current used. I have a 3kw peak inverter with the battery fuse at 300A. If you don't use an inverter why so many batteries?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back