Congestion charging

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dare_Devil_Dennis, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Dare_Devil_Dennis

Dare_Devil_Dennis Funster

Ratings:
    +410
    Hi
    As a coach-built motorhome, my unit is registered as zero emissions. This is because the original base vehicle manufacturer cannot just guess the final weight of the finished vehicle, so a special case has been made for coach-builts.

Does this mean it will not be charged for entering the low emissions zone, or have they got this loophole covered? (I am an eternal optimist)

I read somewhere recently about someone who picked up a family member from Heathrow in their motorhome and fell foul of the charge and got a £500 penalty.

I used the Datrford crossings recently to and from Canterbury and saw the signs. As a Northener and infrequent visitor to London and surrounding areas, I am ignorant of the detail. Any advice appreciated.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Ratings:
    +14,761
    Go on the TfL website and check with your vehicle's type or registration number. It only applies on weekdays during working hours.

It's £11.50 basic paid up front or on the day (online or by phone with debit card) before midnight, otherwise £14.00, or a fine if you don't pay the £14.00.

We were down there recently working in central London with a diesel car and had to pay, so I'd be surprised if your MH would get away with it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Dare_Devil_Dennis

Dare_Devil_Dennis Funster

Ratings:
    +410
    Thanks, Just checked, and My unit is exempt! Amazing.

I just feel sorry for the poor guy who unknowingly entered the zone and it cost him dearly.

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. rb62

rb62 Funster

Ratings:
    +17,542
    Just checked ours, 2008, 3.0 litre euro4, 5.2t......no charge :xsmile:

Not that I'd drive into London deliberatly,Packet Boat Marina is quite far enough ! :xeek:

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. SMB

SMB Funster

Ratings:
    +1,013
    My vehicle is also showing as being exempt. 2012 Ducato 2.3l 4.25T. Tempted to drive into the LEZ just cos I can :xThumb:

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +4,882
    The TFL site is not always accurate , it doesn't get updated to be correct if there is a change of original vehicle data, in both directions.

7. SMB

SMB Funster

Ratings:
    +1,013
    Don't burst my bubble :Grin:

I will check via landline if I ever decide to visit London whih is unlikely to be honest...

8. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +8,403

I don't know what route they took but Heathrow is well outside the any charge zone, infact its barely London :)

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +21,472
    You are all confussing the conjestion
    You are confusing the Central London Congestion charge with the LEZ. The LEZ goes out nearly to the M25 and if your vehicle does not comply and is over 2500kg it is £100 a day up to 3500kg, £200 a day over 3500kg.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  10. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Ratings:
    +14,761

Whoops, just realised I got mixed up between the Low Emission Zone (basically within the M25) and the Congestion Charge Zone (Central London). Sorry about that.

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. SpeedyDux

SpeedyDux Funster

Ratings:
    +4,824
    It is worth checking online whether your vehicle is recogised by TFL as exempt from the charge, before travelling anywhere near the LEZ.

The TFL checker didn't recognise my previous 2002 VW T4 campervan as LEZ charge exempt, which I had assumed it should have been at that time, both because of the date of first registration (in Germany) and it being Euro3 emissions compliant on the Certificate of Conformity. It was an import and somewhere between the DVLA re-registration and TFL there may have been a mixup. I didn't bother trying to sort that out with TFL, but made sure that I stayed well clear of the LEZ while I drove that campervan. The M25 is all OK, outside the LEZ.

I don't know if mine was an isolated example, but any Funster with an import who assumes they should be exempt from the charge should use the TFL checker before entering the LEZ.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone/check-if-your-vehicle-is-affected

12. SMB

SMB Funster

Ratings:
    +1,013
  13. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +8,284
    It is all getting very confusing in London. You have the congestion charge in the central part of London, and, on top of that, you have the T-charge, which is an emissions surcharge on top of the standard congestion charge. This applies if your vehicle does not meet the Euro 4 standards.

Entirely separate and additional to this you have the LEZ (Low emissions) zones and soon to be introduced ULEZ (ultra low emission) zones. These operate 24 hours a day and every day. The LEZ only apply to heavy vehicles, which I think are over 3.5T. With these the charge for a none-compliant vehicle is an eye watering £200! The ULEZ will apply from April 2019 to all vehicles that do not comply with Euro 4 for petrol vehicles and Euro 6 for diesel vehicles. It covers exactly the same areas as the congestion charge and T-charge, but is paid in addition to these. If your vehicle is non-compliant the charge is (I think) £12.50 if you are under 3.5t and £100 if you are over 3.5t.

If you drive a vehicle which does not comply with any of the requirements of these charges (and those requirements are different for the different charges) into central London after April 2019 you will have to pay 4 lots of different charges and if you forget you will be subject to 4 lots of different fines. I have a 4.5t Euro 5 moho. I can drive it in the LEZ without charge. If I drive into the congestion charge area I have to pay the congestion charge, but not the T charge. After April 2019 I will have to also pay the ULEZ charge of £100!

The complexity of having 4 different schemes with 4 different rules is utter bloody madness! I can understand (and agree with) wanting to deter vehicles, and especially higher polluting ones, from driving into London. It has a brilliant public transport scheme with lots of busses and underground trains. When I go up to central London (not often nowadays) I always go by train and then use the tube. But why not make one simple to understand scheme in which you pay depending upon what vehicle you are driving in what area.

• Informative Informative x 9
  14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +21,472
    I think it is over 2.5T, my neigbour had to buy a car as he couldn't visit his mum in Croydon in his 2.8T VW camper.

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

Ratings:
    +1,408
    It's enough to keep me out of London compliant or not.
    :party::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

• Nice One! Nice One! x 5
  16. tacr2man

tacr2man Funster

Ratings:
    +4,882
    Ringing them wont help as they just look at the database :)
    (This is LEZ BTW)

17. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,392
    Ducato 2.8JTD on a 2006 plate and also exempt.
    IMG_4386.PNG
    It's all very confusing stuff, best just stay away from the place. Heard thy don't speak English there anyway...
    IMG_4387.PNG

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +8,284
    [
    And this just demonstrates the confusion that rains with this whole sorry mess.

This gives exemption from the T-charge, which is the add on to the congestion charge and applies only in the congestion zone in inner London. But it does not mean that you will be exempt from the LEZ charge, which covers most, but not all, the area of London within the M25, including the congestion zone. And sure enough when I check your reg number your moho is not exempt from the LEZ zone.

So the good news is that you will are exempt from paying the additional T charge of £10 if you venture into inner London. The bad news is that you will have to pay the £200 LEZ charge to get to inner London from the M25 in the first place.

Confused yet ???????

A cynic would suggest the system is designed to trick people into having to pay large fines.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +8,284
    Sorry Lenny, I was guilty of over simplification. With motorhomes, under 2.5t are exempt from LEZ if they were built 2002 or later; over 2.5t and under 3.5t are exempt if they were built 2006 or later.

My head hurts ......

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

Ratings:
    +8,403
    Really who'd of guessed :eek:

The ridiculous thing is you pay a ridiculous amount of money to drive into London with a so called polluting vehicle. The charge doesn't stop the pollution though does it? So it can only be a revenue generator :rolleyes:

• Like it Like it x 3