Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Does anyone carry a hotplate for use when hooked up.
We are considering this but is it worth the cost/weight/space to save a bit of gas?

We have a twin electric hotplate we use when on hook up. When not needed it slides away in the small gap betwen the floor and the slide out baske / tray in our pots and pans locker.

We find it very useful....... it is pretty light so it's weight when the van is loaded up for a long tour is insignificant. Gas bottles (normal) are not light......

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a full size cooker in ours, 3 gas burners, 1 electric plate, grill and oven and a microwave ( unused so far) We mainly use a wok and a couple of saucepans, being mostly veggie, we stir fry a lot. Then we have a bread maker for when we are on EHU, ( twice I think since June!)
The less time spent cooking and clearing up the better, and we eat out if the dogs are allowed to sit with us.
Allan

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Another vote for Cadac.. We keep ours in the Gas locker, having fitted 1 x 11Kg Gas it refillable bottle, that leaves half the locker free for the Cadac... Simples.....:thumb:
Mitch and Jenny.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Although we don't eat our we have only a two burner stove in the van which is more than adequate we find. We use a double skillet for baking potatoes, refreshing french bread and heating up things wev'e prepared beforehand.
We have a Cadac that we rarely use.
But our best extra cooker is one of these cheap ones in a suitcase which we use for frying fish, onions and other things that smell out the van. They are brilliant!
Mike and Annie

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We only have a 2 ring hob and a useless grill, so we have:

10" double skillet
5L pressure cooker which doubles up as a large cooking pot (for pasta, stews etc) or as chip pan
1 medium & 1 small sauce pan (Tegal Ingenio ones with removable handle)
Chip pan basket (useful for all sorts of stuff not just chips!)
1 x small frying pan (Tefal Ingenio again) (both double skillet pans won't fit on the rings at the same time)
1 x hob grill plate (see picture below) which really does work very, very well, especially useful for 'watery' meats!
2 x hob top folding toasters
1 x electric hotplate - its a very old one which probably wouldn't pass 'H&S' standards now but works beautifully!
1 x suitcase gas cooker which works off aerosol type cartridges which can be bought anywhere/any country.

When doing a 'fry up' it can be difficult to keep everything hot, the way I manage it is: use one of the double skillet pans to cook sausages and bacon and the small frying pan for mushrooms, once they are all cooked I transfer the sausages and bacon to the small frying pan, then I remove it from the ring and put the beans saucepan on the ring instead and place the small frying pan on top to keep the contents warm from the heat off the beans pan. I then do the eggs in the skillet and transfer them over to the small frying pan and finally the fried bread then serve the lot up .... yum!!! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• grill plate.jpg
    grill plate.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries