Confused (1 Viewer)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Evidently the british climate doesnt provide enough vitamins for the under 4's and they should all be fed vitamins
they have come to this conclusion as cases of rickets which was virtually eradicated in the 50's 60's\and 70's are on the rise again
my first point is how many cases of rickets have come in to the country rather than being developed here?
and if we didnt have it before and weve had 30 years of global warming why is the climate to blame ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
First thing is kids do not play outside any more

Next is to look at why they do not..

Mums are all too keen on pointing at X-Box or telly, but the reality is a bit more scary

Thanks in main to the media brainwashing and instilling paranoia and fear, very few mums will let their kids off the leash and give them the freedom we enjoyed. We, as in the kids born in the 40's,50's and 60's .

( dont get me wrong, I do not blame them )

So the children are only allowed to play right outside the front door or in the garden.
And mums are busy souls and are pretty worn out by little johny or jane most of the time so do not really have the time or indeed the energy to keep the youngsters entertained outside all day

Kids being kids get very bored very quickly. If they wander off they get told off, so instead they just stay in doors on the gameboy or whatever..
Stay indoors, no sunshine, vitamin d reduces..rickets is the result

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My half sister died of rickets in the early fifties. I dont remember her, but I do remember kids at school suffering from it, and polio. Terrible afflictions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I had measles as a child and remember being very ill, I was off school for weeks, we now vaccinate against measles and rightly so.

My daughter was extremely ill with pneumonia as a baby, unfortunately there's no vaccinations for that.

If simply giving vitamins can help prevent a painful illness then go for it.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
1940s child

Hi, All I am old enough to remember the polio jabs and a mate of mine had rickets I think you can now get a one off jab for pneumonia I had it last year, I had Measles when I was about 9 I can still remember seeing the bedroom going round and round and my jimjams being stuck to me with perspiration, it was near christmas ,a young girl in our street had polio she ended up with a caliper on her leg permanently, the biggest tb hospital was just a mile away happy days eh.Theres a school just around the corner from my house and if I am passing I see the kids are running around screaming and playing football something they used to do in the street in my day, they would also go on messages for the old ones in our street if asked ,how times have changed when was the last time you saw any one playing hopscotch:roflmto:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Diet

Thankfully I was brought up in the 50s and joined the army and got plenty of good food and lots of exercise playing sport and in training
Today poor diet doesn't help either and as they are not getting any exercise the muscles are not developing properly especially the heart and legs .
Sadly "poverty" doesn't help either as its easier/cheaper to buy processed food from Iceland/Farm Foods than fresh at Tesco
Plus how many young mothers know how to cook a proper meal these days, bar for pasta. Too easy to live on McD or Pizza etc with no decent veg broccolli carrots etc.
Couple across from me with two teenage boys are all obesce and can barely walk as they seem to live on takeaways.
Goodness knows what illnesses are being stored up in the curent young generation.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
The reason the kids have rickets ,is because mums listened to all the hike about being out in the son without the maximum sun protection cream, they got paranoid about it,by following like sheep, there doesn`t seem to be any common sense these days, now they are paying the price, what about the middle road, neither one extreme or the other.and no I don`t think the tax payers should fund the vitamins to try and put this right, don`t the parents consider having children you pay for what they need, and if you made the wrong decision then, they pay to put it right.Can`t pps think for themselves these days, I despair at times, how ever did my generation survive, survive we did and with more gumption than todays lot.I know this will undoubtably cause some controversy, but please find some common sense and think.By the way, I have eleven Grandchildren, they play outside, also into all the sports, they don`t suffer with rickets, then they have sensible parents who didn`t go ott.
I live on the outskirts of a village this ,week school holidays, I have lost count how many kids were playing out in the fields and village, no trouble just enjoying themselves.it was lovely to see. They can play out in their own gardens if parents want to keep them "safe "they are still outside.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I was thinking about this, as you do LOL

We did actually have suncream when I was little in the 1950's, I recall it was called 'Cooltan' and no idea if it was protective or not, but we certainly had it rubbed in when we were in our bathing costumes on the beach. Never otherwise.

BUT - here's the main thing. You didn't put that on, until a parent was willing to go in the sea with you, not allowed solo, ever. As soon as you got that cozzie wet, you were required to remove it again pronto, be dried and have your shorts and T shirt back on. Meanwhile the parents sat in deckchairs, dad in his flannels and a short sleeved shirt and mum in a cotton skirt and blouse. Some dads wore (long) shorts, the rich ones possibly had a panama, the rest wore their caps. Some mums also wore sunhats and some children too.

Any baby remained fully shadowed under their pram sunshade, even though they may only be wearing their nappy. Ditto toddlers, full sunhats were de rigueur, and they were dried dressed and put in the shade after excursions running about or paddling. If they wouldn't stop running about in it when you took em to the beach, you took em off the beach at lunchtime to somewhere in the shade - the park for instances where there was tree cover.

The parents might wear their sunhats of whatever description and we all wore the above clothes, if say we went out for the day to the country, picnic or sandwiches in a pub beergarden. But no more than that exposed.

So the trouble is, we all go OTT with (virtually) whole body sun exposure now, don't we? Instead of it being RARE. And yes, mothers do go OTT with sun protection now too. And so do flipping schools. Ridiculous unless the child actually HAS a problem !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Interesting post Jenny,

I never had sun cream as a child, had swimsuit on, remember one a ruffled nylon lime green, horrible, when wet see through, :ROFLMAO:don`t remember any sunhats either, played on sand in swimsuits, we were always out when children, out for the day school holidays, with a few sanwiches with friends, went home when hungry,got told off at one time as had a taken a five year old with us,parents agreed to let her come with us, only reason we got told off was because we were later back than we should have been, , after that my parents bought me a watch.

We would walk miles to a local beauty spot,the park, went fishing with a jam jar and a net, we were never bored, never ever got into mischief with a mother like mine you wouldn`t dare, simple pleasures that didn`t cost anything. we had freedom which is sad that a lot of todays children do not have, also gives you independance, our parents always knew where we were going, I had the freedom to go out and play in the counrtyside, just like my parents before me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back