Confused (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2018
Funster No
Morning everyone. Desperate to take my motorhome out for a maintenance run as it has just sat there for weeks. I know several weeks ago the Police were stopping people in Caravans and Coach built motorhomes and fining them £200. My Motorhome is a 7.5 metre coach built, so I couldnt get away with driving to supermarket as they would say it was not my primary form of transport, you could probably get away with this if you have a pvc motorhome.
So with changes to the rules happening does anyone know for sure if its legal to take motorhome out for a run.Thanks in advance for any advice.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I am not aware of any rules that stopped you making a journey based on what vehicle you use . It’s the journey in question rather than the type of transport used ,but if you have information on people being fined simply for driving a motorhome , I would be interested to see this .
Anyway you can travel around now more freely but are “ advised “ to stay local . No overnight stops until Monday April 12th 👍🏻

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
agree with Swifter.
This is all the gov.uk says.

Travelling within England​

You should minimise travel where possible. This means you should:

• avoid making unnecessary trips
  • combine trips where possible
You should not stay away from home overnight for a holiday.

If you need to travel:

• walk or cycle where possible
  • avoid car sharing with anyone from outside your household or your support bubble
  • plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport
  • regularly wash or sanitise your hands
  • wear a face covering on public transport, unless exempt
  • stay 2 metres apart from people you do not live with where possible, or 1 metre with extra precautions in place (such as wearing face coverings or increasing ventilation indoors)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Yes, totally legal now to drive.

I took ours to the petrol station yesterday to fill with gas - round trip of 29 miles along A23, M25, A3 A245 even had a Police car behind me for part of the way, they did nothing. Mine is 8.7m A Class, so not so different to yours

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Had two 40 mile round trips to the sea side over the last two days. Lots of vans on day trips.
The guidance is clear you can go on day trips

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Agree with others when they say... Nothing says what you need to drive for an essential journey.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
My Motorhome is a 7.5 metre coach built, so I couldnt get away with driving to supermarket as they would say it was not my primary form of transport, you could probably get away with this if you have a pvc motorhome.
In the past when it was essential travel only, you could use any vehicle you want to do the essential journeys like shopping and health appointments. I heard of people fined for taking their MH (a second vehicle) to be fixed at a garage, because it was not their primary means of transport so therefore not 'essential'. But I took my MH (7m Hymer) to supermarkets and even to a park for exercise.

That's all gone now, you can go as far as you like, as long as you don't stay overnight. And on long trips better to go in a MH to avoid public toilets.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Must of seen ten mohos today out and about one parked outside my lockup . All rubbing salt in the wound we aren’t allowed access to ours until the 12th.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Not a problem you are allowed to drive it locally as much as you like.

I took mine out for a 30 mile round trip yesterday to give it an airing and see what might be dropping off. Fortunatley nothing was.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
The police have never been able to stop you using a motorhome for essential travel as long as it’s road legal.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Not a problem you are allowed to drive it locally as much as you like.

I took mine out for a 30 mile round trip yesterday to give it an airing and see what might be dropping off. Fortunatley nothing was.
Yes our shake down trip found two issues now getting them, fixed ready for the 12th, so its worth everyone who has stored the van due to lock down to give it a day out to see what's not working

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've been recommissioning ours, our conservatory had all the stuff in that we'd removed for the hab check etc at the end of last year, so I've been sorting through it and put a load back in but will be giving all the pots, pans etc a good wash first as they've got a bit dusty. Tazzy enjoyed it yesterday sitting on the rear bed in the sunshine 'dreaming' of far off places we've visited no doubt whilst I put stuff away!

I'm gonna tax it shortly as we're gonna fill it with fuel on Saturday then as it hasn't been driven since December we'll be having a trip in it to our Lodges (to sort out stuff before they re-open to holiday makers) on the following Friday. It'll be nice to go out in it again ... no doubt 'cause we haven't used it for a while hubby will forget where the handbrake is and instead try to grab the nose of one of the dogs who will be laying between the seats! :giggle:

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Ours is 7.5mtrs and I used her to go shopping 16 miles away a few weeks ago.
She is legal and a police car come towards me didn't even look in my direction.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Was out today in the doblo registered as a motorcaravan we saw several motor homes and one car and caravan, M63 I didn’t wonder where the motor homes were going but did wonder about the car and caravan. Did a bit of speculation and decided that coming back from abroad and going home to isolate was the kindest

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ours is 7.5mtrs and I used her to go shopping 16 miles away a few weeks ago.
She is legal and a police car come towards me didn't even look in my direction.
Probably warned not to stop your particular MH as the occupant can be a bit ... er .... tetchy? :imoutahere:

I mean Robert of course .... :rofl:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We went out in ours on both Monday and Tuesday this week for days out no issues. During lockdown although legally you could take it out so long as your journey was deemed essential such as food shopping we did not bother as we would not have wanted the hassle if stopped for any reason but it was a personal choice.

Willbo

Free Member
Aug 4, 2019
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Apache
Exp
New to it
We took ours out of storage today for a run to the coast,40 mile round trip. After weeks of not using the moH it was good to drive it.
There were a few other vans In the car park we used.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back