Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
about 3 months ago I bought a new Leisure battery from a reputable dealer.
I had gone in to buy a lead acid battery as that was the existing unit fitted.
When I told the guy at the counter my vehicle,(A 1994 Hymer 544), he told me that as the battery storage was inside the living area that I should have a Gel battery so taking his advice I Shelled out £134 for the gel battery.
I used my vehicle for the first time(presently in France) and a knowledgeable told me I should not have a gel battery as it will either knacker my battery charger or the battery as my fitted charger is for lead acid.
What think you wise men as they can't both be right.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The common German Electrobloc charger units have a wet/gel setting. Not sure what you have.

Most of us have wet batteries inside in a ventilated battery compartment or with a vent tube running outside.

OP
OP
Tombo

Tombo

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
The common German Electrobloc charger units have a wet/gel setting. Not sure what you have.

Most of us have wet batteries inside in a ventilated battery compartment or with a vent tube running outside.
My vehicle is an older Hymer with the battery box to the left of the drivers seat. As far as I can see it is ventilated which means I have been conned into buying an expensive Gel battery whereas a normal battery at £70 would have done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tombo

Tombo

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2000
Sorry, I should have added that there does not appear to be an adjustment on the battery charger. Does that mean that I cannot even charge the battery up.
If so I shall be contacting the store that I was persuaded to buy it from and ask for a refund.
The trouble is that by the time I get back home it will be three months old.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
You have not been conned. If you check, most German vans are now fitted with Gel batteries as original equipment. There should be a small switch on the Electrobloc that will be shown in your handbook. Only if the previous battery was 'wet' and the supplier of the Gel battery did not check should you need to do anything. £134 for a Gel is not a bad price to pay from a garage but much cheaper offline.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back