confused,ignition lights on with main battery disconnected (1 Viewer)

cypsela

Free Member
Nov 22, 2016
morecambe
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato 1996 hobby
Exp
im a newbie
hi can any one tell me should i still get ignition lights when i disconnect main battery,i presume the leisure battery is wired up to the same circuit,its a fiat ducato 1996,with a hobby tuscarna conversion,i now it recharges of the alternator,is it normal for this to happen or is something amiss with the wireing.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Sound like the split charge relay is stuck or you are on mains hook up

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Quite possibly the split charge relay has stuck closed or has been bypassed altogether....Can't think of any other way it can happen unless both batteries have been intentionally linked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
If you are on hook up the charger will power the ignition on older vehicles

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi . By main battery I take it you mean the vehicle battery..
If with that disconnected you are getting an ignition light on when you turn the key then your leisure is obviously linked in some way...
That would not normally be good practice as it could leave you with a flat start battery..
I wouldn't turn the key to start as it may at best take out a fuse at best at worst destroy some wiring ..
Also the leads to the disconnected start battery will still be live so insulate them when the battery is disconnected till you get it sorted .
Hope I've understood your post..
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

cypsela

Free Member
Nov 22, 2016
morecambe
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato 1996 hobby
Exp
im a newbie
The reason i disconnected the main battery i was haveing starting issues,it kept on clicking when i tried to start the engine,thought starter was faulty,but when i disconnected the leisure battery,and reconnected the main battery it started fine,auto electric man i think i need,where would the split charge relay be normally located if anyone knows.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back