Confused already (2 Viewers)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I'm already scared of The Damp. We went to a dealership at the weekend and a couple of vans we looked at just smelt weird - which seemed like The Damp to me. Thanks god for internet I say.
It is a maxim for life..... If something or somebody doesn't smell right.... Give it/them a wide berth.. (y)

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Okay TB, you do not know what questions to ask. Well, start with what you want to do in the MH, I had to ask myself that and I made a list. First for me was that my dear lady gets up during the night quite often, so the sleeping arrangement had to be convenient to us both, she does not like any form of bunk bed, so over the cab etc was out, also fixed bedding of any kind. Next, she loves wardrobe space, so the wardrobe had to be large enough, also the seating area had to be comfortable and roomy enough or not only us, but for any guests. The kitchen space had to have adequate area for prep work. So the list went on.

I read you love to bake, unfortunately the ovens are a single with a grill, no range cookers, so compromise has to be made. I had to make compromises, but we are happy with our choice.

Next is not only size of van but weight, if you or your other halve drives a truck, then over the 3.5ton should give you what you want, if not, then the 3.5ton is the norm. I used to drive a Fiat Ducato for a job, that is suitable for any vehicle upto 7meters long, as van drivers are used to the width and length. If neither of you are used to that, I strongly suggest to hire one and take it from there.

I hope I have given you food for thought and ideas for things to take into account.

See you soon maybe, and all the best in your quest.

Flook

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Okay TB, you do not know what questions to ask. Well, start with what you want to do in the MH, I had to ask myself that and I made a list. First for me was that my dear lady gets up during the night quite often, so the sleeping arrangement had to be convenient to us both, she does not like any form of bunk bed, so over the cab etc was out, also fixed bedding of any kind. Next, she loves wardrobe space, so the wardrobe had to be large enough, also the seating area had to be comfortable and roomy enough or not only us, but for any guests. The kitchen space had to have adequate area for prep work. So the list went on.

I read you love to bake, unfortunately the ovens are a single with a grill, no range cookers, so compromise has to be made. I had to make compromises, but we are happy with our choice.

Next is not only size of van but weight, if you or your other halve drives a truck, then over the 3.5ton should give you what you want, if not, then the 3.5ton is the norm. I used to drive a Fiat Ducato for a job, that is suitable for any vehicle upto 7meters long, as van drivers are used to the width and length. If neither of you are used to that, I strongly suggest to hire one and take it from there.

I hope I have given you food for thought and ideas for things to take into account.

See you soon maybe, and all the best in your quest.

Flook

Yesterday I went to the dealership outside of Banbury and paid a bit more attention to what I liked and disliked about the mohos I looked at. And your question 'what do you want to do in the MH' was a good one. Our holidays are generally in gites/villas/cottages. If we don't go out for a meal our evening would be spent cooking (me), eating and reading or tapping away on our tablets, with a glass of wine or two and generally lounging around. I'd like a proper oven and a fridge freezer. We like mooching, walking, being outdoors when we can.
A fixed bed wouldn't be great for us but I'm a bit dubious about the comfort of a collection of cushions to sleep on! Neither of us are truck drivers though have driven Transits when we've shifted stuff; hiring one as a trial is definitely on the cards!

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
I often chat to people who don't use forums and they are blissfully unaware of most of the problems that might be encountered whereas I worry about stuff.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi TallBlonde

Think about how or if you want to get around when you have parked up someplace nice, will you wan to explore further than you can walk, you might want bikes or a scooter so then the choice is do they go on the back or inside if they go inside it would be a garage model so that would start your layout options.

We would be lost without the bikes so large garage was top of my list, we currently have a Tandem and two Mountain bikes in plus the inflatable canoe, BBQ, tables and chairs, water carrier etc etc and still room to get in and find things.

Cycle ride into Prague today if it doesn't rain:).

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When looking at MHs don't rule out panel van conversions (PVC) too soon. If you hire it will probably be a big white Tupperware box and you may think this is the only type of MH. Our Murvi Morocco has a good kitchen, oven and enough room in the loo for showering. Our 'fridge only has a small freezer compartment but we have recently bought a coolbox which can become a freezer if we crank it up but we don't miss a freezer as things like salad stuff need to be bought every 3 days or so which means we need to find shops and can buy the stuff which might otherwise be in a freezer.

The oven has been used for pizza and bread, it works but cooks unevenly so you have to remember to turn things round in it.

A 6m PVC can more or less go anywhere and there is little risk of any damp problems.

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Well we would definitely take our bikes as I'm sure we'd want to get out and about. We're never knowingly under-packed ;)

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
One of the most important thing to think about is weight. What is the maximum weight of the vehicle, over 3.5 ton and you need to have the c1 part of your license. Then think about the unladen weight so you can establish your payload. The issue is the payload can be a bit tight on some vans, and my advice is never trust a dealer on this, make sure your clear how much you can carry in the van including your selves, water, fuel, clothes, bikes etc while remaining under your legal gross weight.

If you find the van you fall in love with has a small payload, it is usually possible to uprate the weight. This may require some small minor changes to the van such as different tyres or air suspension and sometimes no changes are necessary. In my case I uprated and was able to carry an additional 500kgs as a result which has made quite a difference. Lot's of people here can advise you on this and the company most people use for uprating is SV Tech, talk to them if you need to. Its costs around £300 to uprate.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I often chat to people who don't use forums and they are blissfully unaware of most of the problems that might be encountered whereas I worry about stuff.
This is so true :clap2:.
However you are now on this forum and are perhaps getting a bigger list of potential problems, rather than possible features you want ;).

What has given me - as an absolute beginner - a lot of freedom from stressing is buying one significantly under whatever your budget is :Eeek:.

I did this completely unintentionally!
Like most newbies I was naturally attracted to the newer shinier models with their gadgets & gizmos.
What I ended up with (because it felt right when I sat in it) was an eleven year old MH which was a basic model even when it was launched... but
...although a bit tatty in places, and the paintwork has dulled - it has all the basics, as most vans do...
...but because it was significantly under budget, I now have a decent reserve to buy any accessories, or get things repaired which equals no worries.
:cheers:

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
This is so true :clap2:.
However you are now on this forum and are perhaps getting a bigger list of potential problems, rather than possible features you want ;).

What has given me - as an absolute beginner - a lot of freedom from stressing is buying one significantly under whatever your budget is :Eeek:.

I did this completely unintentionally!
Like most newbies I was naturally attracted to the newer shinier models with their gadgets & gizmos.
What I ended up with (because it felt right when I sat in it) was an eleven year old MH which was a basic model even when it was launched... but
...although a bit tatty in places, and the paintwork has dulled - it has all the basics, as most vans do...
...but because it was significantly under budget, I now have a decent reserve to buy any accessories, or get things repaired which equals no worries.
:cheers:
Yes! I set myself a budget of £15-20K. Then I started looking and all of a sudden I thought I need to spend £30K+ (Mr TB is panicked by anything older - even me though he married me. Or maybe because.). At the weekend I was in an older Autotrail which I took quite a shine to, then got out and remembered I wanted a low profile one. But if I liked it when I was in it, why did I then think I 'couldn't' like the because of the outside? So I'm still confused, but most confusion is of my own making.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@TallBlonde
Don't get too hung up about the container or wheels.
Whilst I was shopping I couldn't decide if I wanted a PVC, Coachbuilt or even A Class, let alone new or used :rolleyes:!
However I had a very shortlist of "musthaves" - fixed bed, length & of course budget.

In the end I decided that provided those three essentials were met, then make & model weren't important.
What was?
The dealership!
(I quickly decided buying privately wasn't for me)
So at PBoro I sat in this "cheapie" from a dealer in my top 3 list... Never heard of the make & model so had no idea of 'values' but I (naively) put my faith in my method - within minutes I have done the deal :eek:.
I'm happy to report it all seems to have panned out well (touch wood).
And if it goes a bit pear shaped, then I now have a bit of an emergency fund.

Forever Effervescent

Free Member
Jan 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
van conversion A class
Exp
I was conceived and born in a motorhome
Welcome to MHF

We have a small VW T25 Hi-top and were considering something far larger, with shower and loo, but decided that the smaller the better, and so it has proved to be, with less to go wrong and more time to travel and do things, which we do, never having regretted the decision to go small (er). We spend so much time away doing things, travelling down small lanes where bigger vehicles can not go, finding areas off the beaten track, that we now could never consider something bigger, but of course it is horses for courses, and whatever you choose, the prime consideration is "Will we enjoy ourselves in this van?"

A new world awaits.

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
Welcome to MHF

We have a small VW T25 Hi-top and were considering something far larger, with shower and loo, but decided that the smaller the better, and so it has proved to be, with less to go wrong and more time to travel and do things, which we do, never having regretted the decision to go small (er). We spend so much time away doing things, travelling down small lanes where bigger vehicles can not go, finding areas off the beaten track, that we now could never consider something bigger, but of course it is horses for courses, and whatever you choose, the prime consideration is "Will we enjoy ourselves in this van?"

A new world awaits.
Another great question to ask ourselves when we view, thank you.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
TB, buy a copy of MMM, that is full of s/h vans and different type of vans from all over the country. Also, it has a section on prices etc, this should be of a help with a set budget, you would be able to see the make/model within your limit. Do not forget your insurance cover cost, and at sometime joining the Camping and Caravan Club, also the Camping Club, you get discounts being a member as well.

So far while I have been away, I have come across someone who has hired a MH for a week, and they are liking it so far, also someone who has been motrohoming about four weeks now, and they love it as well.

You have been given sound advice, but do not worry to much about the different type of vans and the weights. When you go to a dealers ask about the weights with what your licence covers or not.

A dealer will/should give to a guarantee, a private buy won't, but a private buy would be a cheaper option. Personally, I would go for a dealer option.

Anyway, buy the MMM magazine.

Flook

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
virtually every where in western europe gets deliveries and dustbins remove so there are few places a7/.5m van wont go if your brave enough

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If the local bus service can get somewhere, most motorhomes can.

If the 'frittering' of the inheritance bothers you, change your mindset - ours isn't a vehicle, it's an extension to our house that just happens to have wheels fitted.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Putting my sensible hat on for a few moments!
This is a principle I use a lot, if you are driving along a road that you are becoming unsure of, look out for bus stops. If the road has bus stops, then you can fit down it. Or better still, follow the bus, we did this in Italy, the bus had the place name on the front that we were going to, so I followed it :D

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
If the road has bus stops, then you can fit down it. Or better still, follow the bus, we did this in Italy, the bus had the place name on the front that we were going to, so I followed it :D

That's a really neat tip especially the following the bus bit. Brilliant.(y) Like most of the best tips it's so obvious when you stop and think about it. Thanks.

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner
TB, buy a copy of MMM, that is full of s/h vans and different type of vans from all over the country. Also, it has a section on prices etc, this should be of a help with a set budget, you would be able to see the make/model within your limit. Do not forget your insurance cover cost, and at sometime joining the Camping and Caravan Club, also the Camping Club, you get discounts being a member as well.

So far while I have been away, I have come across someone who has hired a MH for a week, and they are liking it so far, also someone who has been motrohoming about four weeks now, and they love it as well.

You have been given sound advice, but do not worry to much about the different type of vans and the weights. When you go to a dealers ask about the weights with what your licence covers or not.

A dealer will/should give to a guarantee, a private buy won't, but a private buy would be a cheaper option. Personally, I would go for a dealer option.

Anyway, buy the MMM magazine.

Flook
I bought the mag last week! Trying to sort out a place to hire from but that's almost as bad as finding a MH - hire near where we want to go or hire near home and drive to where we want to go (think the former). We're about to go off to Turkey for a week or so (flying, not driving!) so will get my head a bit straighter when I get back. Trying to do too much in a limited space of time is a favourite hobby of mine.

OP
OP
TallBlonde

TallBlonde

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Searching, searching ...
Exp
Complete beginner

If the 'frittering' of the inheritance bothers you, change your mindset - ours isn't a vehicle, it's an extension to our house that just happens to have wheels fitted.

I think it's less about a sense of 'frittering' and more about being overwhelmed by all of the options. If there wasn't so much choice it would be easier. In truth, I can't wait to have a dinky home to play in!

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Now that is one offer TB even I would not turn down. To be honest if I was aware of John Cross around November last year, and of this site, I would have checked them out, ah well, sey la vie (I think that is how it is spelto_O)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi there,
We had to save up long and hard for ours and part x our last caravan. Ralph didn't want a Motorhome and loved our caravan.
So I had to use all my powers of persuasion ! He thought only pensioners had them ...... Finally came around.
We loved our Motorhome and it suited us as a family of 5. Then as the kids stopped coming with us we could get what we really wanted , for just the two of us. A smaller easier to park and get to the out of the way places we love PVC panel van conversion. We looked looked and looked. Couldn't find anything that ticked all the right boxes . Ralph wanted to add this and that and more yo everything.....
As we got it right the first time with the last Motorhome. We wanted to this time. To cut a very long story short Ralph decided to build one himself. To our spec , totally.
He's very nearly finished now. Here's the link.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/
Keep looking, sitting in, trying out. You won't regret it. We get so much quality time together on our trips. Throwing in a few funsters rallies now and again too. You won't regret it.
Welcome to the forum , best £10 you spent this year !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back