Free Member
Oct 6, 2013
suffolk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2005
tyres on motorhome showing some cracking on the side walls, they are 6yrs. old, and have done 25,000 miles, if they pass the M.O.T on Tuesday is there any need to change them.
Tyre fitter and separate garage say that they wouldn`t but that it up to me and they are also suggesting that I fit commercial instead of campers.
Advise and opinions please.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Change 'em !!! Nothing lasts forever despite appearances !!!:Doh::Doh::Doh:!!!

AND, I always fit campers as they are specifically designed for the job !!

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Commercial if your van is a lightweight. Camping tyres are designed with the consideration that they spend more time parked than rolling. Hence reinforced sidewalls.
White van man tyres roll at least 6 days a week and wear out before they reach 5 yrs by a long way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Change them.

Camping tyres if you can afford them .. otherwise, van tyres provided the load rating is high enough to carry the weight of your fully laden van.

Good article here
Link Removed

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Tyres

Change them. Much cheaper than a blowout at Motorway speeds.

If your vehicle was originally supplied with Camper tyres replace with the same or your insurers may not be happy in the event of a claim. Otherwise the cheaper van tyres may suffice.

Personally I would fit the uprated Camper tyres anyway. (I did, in February thie year).

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Change them ...mine had only done a few hundred miles from last mot ...noticed they had started to crack in the tread before trip to Belgium ...they still had plenty tread left but were 7 years old. I had to replace 6 as I have a twin rear wheel Transit ...but you can't put a price on safety.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Also don't just check the side walls, check around tyre at the bottom of the tread. I had some that didn't look to bad on walls but went egg shaped because between treads were cracked ! Very close to blow out.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Mine were the same. Date stamp said built 2005 and showed wear on the sidewalls. Wouldn't have got through the mot and wouldn't have wanted to try :Eeek:

Couldn't imagine a blowout on the motorway...best laxative known to man :cry:

Had a mobile company come and replace my Michelin Campers with the latest Michelins. Did like for like as the area of rubber on the road is probably 4 x the spam of your open hand and to me, t'was the most important factor in the decision on what to use :Smile:

I contemplated all the others but simply ruled them out. The company I used was eTyres. Brilliant price and super service too :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back