Confounding problem with Tec Tower (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
In May I had an issue with a failed 230vac element in Spain. The failure of the element was masked by the solar connection switching it to 12 volt when there was excess solar going to the batteries. So element was replaced under warranty. May and June fine on EHU. Worked in July when I switched the fridge on for our trip to the Lakes. I keep a small temp gauge in the fridge which I look at most times I open the door. Tuesday morning it was reading 15 degrees instead of usual 6ish. So switched to gas and it started dropping back to normal temperatures. Once it reached a much cooler 8 I switched fridge off and after 20 mins switched back on with electric. Element heated, so did shroud and cooling pipe work. But fridge after 2 hours was back to 11 degrees!
So left on gas for 36 hours and yesterday afternoon with temp at 7 degrees I switched to electric just to see. It maintained 6-7 all evening, I went to bed with it on EHU and at 6 degrees. This morning its 11 degrees, switched to gas and in 30 mins down to 8 already.
Dometic engineer whose knowledge of events does not include yesterdays experience says cooling unit failure and looking at warranty replacement.
Its just so weird why work on EHU and then not. Does the fact that the temperature overnight goes down to 10-12 degrees outside have some effect?
I would be interested in any thoughts?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We have had similar variations in temp when on hookup.
When at home with the fridge on mains the temp has risen alarmingly overnight and I've had to switch to gas. I put it down to the drive being on a slope and the fridge not liking a slight lean to the rear and right. Previous vans with a similar type of fridge have always been OK but the fridges were the opposite side of the van so leaned in the opposite direction.
But, the same thing has just happened with the van turned round so that theory is now thrown out.
Next theory is low voltage. I'm using a 25m hookup cable plugged into an outside socket that is an extension from a garage socket. Too many connections perhaps and too much cable?
I understand that Dometic fridges don't like low voltage.

Richard.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have had similar variations in temp when on hookup.
When at home with the fridge on mains the temp has risen alarmingly overnight and I've had to switch to gas. I put it down to the drive being on a slope and the fridge not liking a slight lean to the rear and right. Previous vans with a similar type of fridge have always been OK but the fridges were the opposite side of the van so leaned in the opposite direction.
But, the same thing has just happened with the van turned round so that theory is now thrown out.
Next theory is low voltage. I'm using a 25m hookup cable plugged into an outside socket that is an extension from a garage socket. Too many connections perhaps and too much cable?
I understand that Dometic fridges don't like low voltage.

Richard.
At low voltage the fridge automatically switches to gas

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I am paranoid about keeping the van level even when in storage at our barn, so I am not sure that is an influence here. Yes I know about the voltage drop issue and Dometic publish a graph showing the effect down to 190 volts. Unfortunately I do not have a volt meter on the AC but it is something I may do this winter. We are on a new 16amp post here on the refurbished CCC site at Keswick so I would doubt the voltage is the problem. Its something to do with the cooling unit I think. A friend has said that the gas heats the whole pipe with a flame spread whereas the AC is just an element held against the pipe in a localised fashion. The science of the heating and gassing is beyond me but I have had reference to contaminants and or non gaseous liquid getting into the gas area and restricting flow. But then WHY does it work on gas??

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
In May I had an issue with a failed 230vac element in Spain. The failure of the element was masked by the solar connection switching it to 12 volt when there was excess solar going to the batteries. So element was replaced under warranty. May and June fine on EHU. Worked in July when I switched the fridge on for our trip to the Lakes. I keep a small temp gauge in the fridge which I look at most times I open the door. Tuesday morning it was reading 15 degrees instead of usual 6ish. So switched to gas and it started dropping back to normal temperatures. Once it reached a much cooler 8 I switched fridge off and after 20 mins switched back on with electric. Element heated, so did shroud and cooling pipe work. But fridge after 2 hours was back to 11 degrees!
So left on gas for 36 hours and yesterday afternoon with temp at 7 degrees I switched to electric just to see. It maintained 6-7 all evening, I went to bed with it on EHU and at 6 degrees. This morning its 11 degrees, switched to gas and in 30 mins down to 8 already.
Dometic engineer whose knowledge of events does not include yesterdays experience says cooling unit failure and looking at warranty replacement.
Its just so weird why work on EHU and then not. Does the fact that the temperature overnight goes down to 10-12 degrees outside have some effect?
I would be interested in any thoughts?
My hypothesis based on my own experience is that the fridge temperature mirrors the ambient temperature, meaning that it will be lower at night and higher during the day.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
My hypothesis based on my own experience is that the fridge temperature mirrors the ambient temperature, meaning that it will be lower at night and higher during the day.
My thoughts too and this issue is the reverse, when on AC, but not when on gas. I am coming to agree that the cooling unit is US and that it will need replacing... which is the fridge out of its space. UGH.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This may only add to your confusing and frustration, we have very similar results, but the bit that gets me, even if the fridge is not performing well, the freezer stays frozen, on electrics o_O

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Michael
I'm toying with the idea of replacing the Tec Tower in my new van with this

<Broken link removed>

Virtually the same dimensions as the Dometic,

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Is that with the oven fitted over it?
Yes
The LEC fridge is only 5mm taller than the Dometic, which I'm hoping I can lose by removing the feet.
It's slightly narrower, and I was considering fitting insulation sheets down the sides.

In worst case I can refit the Dometic

Edit:
I would re fit the oven above he LEC fridge

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Should also add Michael that the energy consumption of the LEC is only 1.7A (or 500w per day)
My planned solar and B2B charger should easily cope with this.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Interesting, I will investigate when I get home, need to look at colour options!

Only comes in white, but reading the reviews it appears to have a curved front.

When your fridge is next out could you please take a look at how the oven is attached?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Are you sure that the replacement element was the correct wattage?

I had to replace mine and was disappointed that the dealer that I went to gave me a lower wattage element than it should have been (discovered only when I took the old one out to replace it. I thank that I was given. 125W element when it should have been a 185W element.

Not surprisingly, the lower wattage element struggled to provide enough circulation of the coolant.

Ian

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Only comes in white, but reading the reviews it appears to have a curved front.

When your fridge is next out could you please take a look at how the oven is attached?
The curved front is a plus, I will try and take some pictures for you. It will be a week or so.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just a thought @Robert Clark, when we had our fridge door issue and I tried to swap the fridge freezer, we found the oven and fridge were attached by wires and gas pipes, I am sure anything can be overcome, plus we also have the fridge controls on our oven section

I bought the new fridge freezer before I realised it wasn't that simple o_O

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just a thought @Robert Clark, when we had our fridge door issue and I tried to swap the fridge freezer, we found the oven and fridge were attached by wires and gas pipes, I am sure anything can be overcome, plus we also have the fridge controls on our oven section

I bought the new fridge freezer before I realised it wasn't that simple o_O
Ours is quite different David
Looks like they are two distinct units with independent controls on each appliance

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Looking at the spec it requires 18-38° ambient temperature. So what is the plan there Robert?
The fridge generates its own heat when running, so I would test a combination of vent covers on/off and vent fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The fridge generates its own heat when running, so I would test a combination of vent covers on/off and vent fans.
Sounds a plan. I think as mine is under warranty I will have the cooling unit exchanged and see where we get. But it will be interesting to see your final solution. Remember the fridge on N+B is wired direct from the EHU point so that will need to be changed.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Michael
I'm toying with the idea of replacing the Tec Tower in my new van with this

<Broken link removed>

Virtually the same dimensions as the Dometic,
Have you checked that you can get the fridge out your hab door RC, some manufacturers build around the fridge :eek:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you checked that you can get the fridge out your hab door RC, some manufacturers build around the fridge :eek:
No not yet
But will do before ordering
It's a shallow fridge which helps

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sounds a plan. I think as mine is under warranty I will have the cooling unit exchanged and see where we get. But it will be interesting to see your final solution. Remember the fridge on N+B is wired direct from the EHU point so that will need to be changed.
I was planning to run a new power supply from the inverter

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
No not yet
But will do before ordering
It's a shallow fridge which helps

Seems like a good deal!!

Services
  • Connection £ 14.99
    We’ll get your new fridge freezer in place, level the feet and take away all the bulky packaging for you. Your new appliance will need to sit for a few hours before it’s plugged in. This is important as it ensures the gas coolant inside the fridge settles

Think they might say different though.....

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Seems like a good deal!!

Services
  • Connection £ 14.99
    We’ll get your new fridge freezer in place, level the feet and take away all the bulky packaging for you. Your new appliance will need to sit for a few hours before it’s plugged in. This is important as it ensures the gas coolant inside the fridge settles

Think they might say different though.....
Not more Po+y gas coolant!

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
As luck would have it, the nearest carpark to Luna Lapin in Kendal is Majestic wine store. It would be rude not to....

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Does anyone know of a mobile Dometic fridge engineer in the Home Counties area? Not working on mains this morning. Maybe a fuse, not looked yet.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I found one by looking on the Dometic website
Was a mobile guy who was very professional

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries