Conflicting and confusing Information re:Camperstops/Aires (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

In preparation for our first trip across the Channel in the 'van, I've been scouting around the Internet and it has left me as per the title.

I've looked at Campercontact (a Dutch web with apparently 17000 places on their site) for motorhome stops and I've also looked at i-Campingcar which is a french site.

Specifically talking about various Aires on and around the old N10 down towards the Poitiers area, and beyond, Campercontact invariably states that the aires are 365 days a year open whereas the french site shows the same sites as seasonal.

Which one is invariably right?

I appreciate that things sometimes, indeed often change and I'm not worried as I know that with the 'van, it's highly unlikely I'll be stuck without somewhere in the locality, but in advance, I would appreciate Funsters comments good or bad about either of these websites/apps.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Perhaps they are talking about whether the aires are accessible but the water gets switched off at a certain point to prevent freezing during winter.

Wyn

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
All the Aires from vicarious books, the clue is in the title.

our 2nd trip in the van was 2 weeks across the pond and this was worth every penny, made the cost back in 2 days not stopping on sites.

Hymie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
when aires close during the winter it is only the water and electric turned off, you can still park and empty the grey tank etc.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thank you both.

In response to Wyn, Campercontact do mention when it is found that the Aire water/Toilet is closed/switched off and the contributors do put comments on through the winter, (indicating that whichever Aire is open.

Hymie, I'm aware of the book, and certainly no disrespect but to be fair, 'All the Aires', is only one source of information and I'm specifically asking about these two sites. I'm aghast at the savings to be had in using Aires after all the years we have been on the Continent in a Caravan.
The more info. and the more Aires to choose from the better as far as I'm concerned.

Regards

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We went last year for our first time and I know that I overloaded myself with information and looked at all the various internet sites. In the end I used the Dutch produced book 'Camperstop' from Vicarious Books. Travelling in March we found, as has been stated, many Aires with the water turned off but still open. But it's not a worry as there will be another near that will have water for sure.

We're off in a few weeks again and this time I have 'All the Aires' which I think is a much better publication and full of information including LPG stations all over France and Spain.

Don't worry...using Aires is as simple as it gets and some will astound you! Enjoy (y)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
The first Aire we ever stayed in Pont de l' Arche 4 March 2013, lovely location. No longer 'Aire Virgins' it was so easy I didn't know what I had been concerned over!

Attachments

• P1010928.JPG
    P1010928.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 33
  • P1010925.JPG
    P1010925.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 33

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Nearly every aire is open to park unless a private one or part of a caravan site.
Just the issue of water really..
Use the N10 a lot, actually came up there yesterday.. This time in car but still stopped off at a few on route as they are nice areas to have a break, ie Marbou..
I have "all the aires" as a guide, use some websites if i need to look for a specific area, have lots of free POI downloads on the tom tom and sometimes just "sniff out" others as we travel..
No issues on the N10.. Lots about...

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, don't be too worried about aires. They are not like campsites. Treat them more like car parks. If one doesn't suit you (e.g. water switched off) then move on to the next. Nothing to stop you getting water elsewhere. Much more informal than you may may be used to.

Wyn

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And if you keep your eyes on the signs , there are loads more that are not in the books

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Try the park4night app , there are loads on there from lay-bys to sites for 100s, not the best for actually finding them though, that one is a google app just simply called aires with a green logo , both free but park4free needs a wifi to work where the other one works anywhere, and they tell you the nearest aire to where you actually are at the time. Hth

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hymie, I'm aware of the book, and certainly no disrespect but to be fair, 'All the Aires', is only one source of information and I'm specifically asking about these two sites.

Regards

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm This I believe to be the definitive site,and they do a USB stick with all the Aires on it-however,in practice I find that Vicarious Books 'All the Aires' is the one we use most.
France Passion is a pleasant alternative if you like La France Profonde and produce grown or produced right where you are sleeping.-Wine,cheese,bread,Espelette pepper,rose petal products,the list goes on.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
When are you going emmitdb? We are doing the same mid September...heading down to Poitiers and southwards using the N10. Have you decided what to do about Rouen yet?

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I also downloaded the Dutch Aire guide and used some which were not in the. All the Aires guide which we use also. We found that it is a good idea to have a plan B just in case the Aire did not appeal or at the unlikely event was full and although rare might be closed. If you need campsites then the ACSI CC book is very useful although many French campsites close mid to end of September there are still a few staying open till end of October and even fewer all year round . When we were travelling in France extensively we also joined the Motorhoming France site which provided lots of info as well as photos as well as comments about aires as well as campsites and their opening times . Useful if you are online I think that the cost was about £12 . Bon voyage !

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
When are you going emmitdb? We are doing the same mid September...heading down to Poitiers and southwards using the N10. Have you decided what to do about Rouen yet?

Hi Steve,

I/We've got a friend:whistle::whistle::whistle: (He's a very new friend) and, as a result, we have decided to go via Plymuff (with 2 f's) We only live 15miles from the port so it nearly made sense before my "friend" helped out.
Now it makes sound economic sense to use the Tesco vouchers earmarked for the Chunnel for something else.
Unfortunately, we are on Grandparent duty at the endish of October so we will have to wait until then before we leave. We would have stayed in France for a lot longer and we will continue to do so if we get an Indian Summer but if not we will cross the border into Spain.

As for Rouen, it's never held any probs. for us.
Heading South we just go through the tunnel and on emerging at the other end we follow the 'Airport' sign. That sign takes us off the dual carriageway to a set of traffic lights on the river. Through the lights and almost immediately there is a sloping right turn signposted to D6015 Paris Peage and Vernon Evereux.
Just been on Google maps and the actual junction has been improved since last we went.
Bon Voyage.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We found quite a few aires not listed on any of the websites or books there are so many. Might be worth looking at the local tourist info sites if there is somewhere you want to go that doesn't seem to have one. Always look up at least 3 in case the first ones are shut or full (or just don't feel right)

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
As for Rouen, it's never held any probs. for us.
Heading South we just go through the tunnel and on emerging at the other end we follow the 'Airport' sign. That sign takes us off the dual carriageway to a set of traffic lights on the river. Through the lights and almost immediately there is a sloping right turn signposted to D6015 Paris Peage and Vernon Evereux.
Just been on Google maps and the actual junction has been improved since last we went.
Bon Voyage.

Be careful with Rouen at the moment, I've always managed to drive through no problem until a couple of months ago, due to roadworks, if you get it wrong you can be pushed through those very low short tunnels, if you can find a route around the city I would take that, until someone confirms that the roadworks are complete.

My journey south later this month goes that way and I am skirting north of the city and aiming for La Mailleraye sur Seine aire (at least I think that's where I'm heading!!!)

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just to put everyone's mind at rest.
The Matilda Bridge at Rouen is fully open as are the two tunnels.
I've just seen a photo on another forum. (So it must be true???)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi emmitdb, I use motorhomingfrance website cost £12 a year membership but all in English . I found that most info is reasonably up to date.
here's the sort of info
Link Removed
Aire at Fougeres, scroll down for more images & other aires
Link Removed
Aires: FOUGERES(3)

ADDRESS: PARKING, OFF BOULEVARD DE RENNES

TEL: 02 99 94 12 20 FAX: 02 99 94 77 30

EMAIL:

TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL
FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ TOILETS/ RUBBISH

PRICES/ RATES:

PARKING: FREE SERVICES: FREE

OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR

GPS COORDS: N48.35517 W01.21105

DIRECTIONS: Entering town from the WEST on N12, turn LEFT as you enter town at ROUNDABOUT next to CHATEAU. AIRE is in CAR PARK.

SITE DESCRIPTION A pleasant municipal aire located close to the centre of this old & interesting town. The aire is located in a large public car park next to the Chateau of Fougeres & bordered by mature trees giving good shade in places. Artisanal service point with drainage platform & rubbish bins.

REVIEW: Nice aire, close to old part of town but still on edge of town & close to large lake. Services basic but work ok. All shops & services in town, tourist train & well preserved chateau to visit. Aire is well frequented but also very popular with cars so busy in summer. Market on Saturday morning.

Link Removed
Fougeres
Link Removed

Link Removed
Fougeres

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
As MikeandCarolyn say, www.campingcar-infos.com is really the difinitive aires site. You can actually download all the aires for your satnav, at no charge at all.

Most aires are open all year - one exception being Cleres between Abbeville and Rouen. Travelling down towards Poitiers and beyond we often stay at Le Crotoy, Marboue, St Maure le Touraine, Jaunay Clan (Futuroscope motorhome park) and loads more choices after Poitiers.
Oh to have such great facilities for motorhome back home!!
Mike and Annie

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
is camping car infos just in french or is their an english site?

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
The big difference between the two apps (campingcarsinfos and campercontact) is that the latter is usable offline, the former is not. We use both when we are connected, the CC infos one is probably best in France while for the rest of europe it's campercontact.

Dick

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
ojibway....On the site now and dont have any buttons to show language preference??

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
ojibway....On the site now and dont have any buttons to show language preference??

I assume the site to which you refer is the campingcarsinfo site.
That site is only in french. The campercontact site is invariably in english.

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
emmitdb..........do u have a link please

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Hi, just looked and cannot find the button - maybe they have discontinued it!
Guess you'll just have to dig out your phrasebook;)

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
The big difference between the two apps (campingcarsinfos and campercontact) is that the latter is usable offline, the former is not. We use both when we are connected, the CC infos one is probably best in France while for the rest of europe it's campercontact.

Dick
I have bought the memory sticks in the past as they are usable off line. Very handy if not connected.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back