Conflicting advice Switzerland (1 Viewer)

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
Hi
We travelled through Switzerland a bit earlier this year and as we are 4500 kgs and tow a car on a trailer the system requires HGV tax for the van (days on the road to be filled in on the form) a viginett for the car and also the trailer.
Paid for the viginett on the car and HGV tax for the van but ignored the trailer hoping if pulled plead ignorance but never saw a soul so I think there is an element of luck as to getting a tug.
D

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Just out of interest why were you fined in Italy ????
We were on a toll for about 290km - paid at our exit 30 euros went onto another toll for a very short distance, no ticket machine just had to pay a fixed price of 1.70 euros - headed off onto yet another an when we came to the booths the barrier was up Mrs TC inserted our visa as there was no button to press for a ticket yet the machine kept spitting our card out so we drove through and carried on our journey (about 9:30pm pizzing down with rain) just seen a car full of youths turn their car over in one of the tunnels heading towards Lake Maggiore -came to a paying station booth after half hour driving and as we had no ticket we tried to use visa, wouldn't have it, Mrs TC pressed the assist button - Italian man came on and couldn't understand us so he shut the machine down - i reversed out and drove to the only attendant on the booths (this was the guy who turned the machine off) we asked if he understood English ? He waved his arms about and slammed the booth window down - came out an took our reg - went back in and printed out a fine of 82.50 euros - opened the barrier and waved at us to go through - he wasn't interested in why we had no ticket but it should have been paid last week - i haven't paid it and have had no confirmation from the Italian toll company as to why i am not paying the 82.50... why is it that some tolls issue tickets and others are just a fixed price and no tickets are needed ? I must admit that i wasn't looking forward to going to Italy in the first place - it was for SWMBO and i have to admit i bloody hated the place !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Regarding the roads in Switzerland they really are a feat of engineering - not only the way they have layed them but for every bend you drive round the scenery is breathtaking - never yet to see anything that compares to it - well worth a trip there and looking forward to going back :cool:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We were on a toll for about 290km - paid at our exit 30 euros went onto another toll for a very short distance, no ticket machine just had to pay a fixed price of 1.70 euros - headed off onto yet another an when we came to the booths the barrier was up Mrs TC inserted our visa as there was no button to press for a ticket yet the machine kept spitting our card out so we drove through and carried on our journey (about 9:30pm pizzing down with rain) just seen a car full of youths turn their car over in one of the tunnels heading towards Lake Maggiore -came to a paying station booth after half hour driving and as we had no ticket we tried to use visa, wouldn't have it, Mrs TC pressed the assist button - Italian man came on and couldn't understand us so he shut the machine down - i reversed out and drove to the only attendant on the booths (this was the guy who turned the machine off) we asked if he understood English ? He waved his arms about and slammed the booth window down - came out an took our reg - went back in and printed out a fine of 82.50 euros - opened the barrier and waved at us to go through - he wasn't interested in why we had no ticket but it should have been paid last week - i haven't paid it and have had no confirmation from the Italian toll company as to why i am not paying the 82.50... why is it that some tolls issue tickets and others are just a fixed price and no tickets are needed ? I must admit that i wasn't looking forward to going to Italy in the first place - it was for SWMBO and i have to admit i bloody hated the place !
Thanks for the reply, I guess its part of travelling......I found the Italians driving appauling so not suprised you saw an accident. I tried the some of the long distance non toll roads and they were awful a couple of years ago so stuck to the tolls. Just was grateful I got out of Italy with a broken sidelight only from touring ....hope the fine business works out ok(y)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I was charged 50 euro at the border for a vignette, got 7.50 swiss francs change. We have a class 2 campervan. Thought it was very steep. Quite shocked. And that darn Gothard tunnel! I checked the web cams at the tunnel entrance and exit, hardly any traffic, no wonder, it shows the traffic after the traffic lights, which I knew nothing about. Not too keen on Switzerland, won't hurry back.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Also I should point out that this year, we only intended to stay 3 days in Switzerland. I ticked the box on the form that said any 5 days in a month by accident. But then on our return voyage from Italy, the Sat Nav re-roouted us due to traffic back into Switzerland, I had time to perfect my smug look! :D

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Our road tax is especially a bargain in Scotland and now the RTE is just about applied to most islands things just get better. Just need some warmer climates.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I stay off the toll roads & avoid countries where they wish me to pay.:) There is nothing that I haven seen in any of them when you didn't have to pay, that I would want to pay to see again.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Our road tax is especially a bargain in Scotland and now the RTE is just about applied to most islands things just get better. Just need some warmer climates.
Ahh, there's the rub ... That's why you have a motorhome!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
When we went to Switzerland a few years ago at the border/Motorway we were given the option to buy the Vignette in Euros but we bought it in Swiss Francs which worked out cheaper. Pete

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We are 5t, stopped at the service station towards Basel , asked at the counter and got a window sticker and paid 42€.
At the Swiss customs we went through the 'bus lane' and were waved through .
Maybe different on our way back !!

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Well, I was sitting in the van, having a beer, looking at the view over lake Iseo, I had a knock at van door. It was a man waving a bit of paper, he said ' sprackency deutche' my reply was 'neine'. Anyway, he was showing me the bit of paper which he got at the Swiss boarder for vans over 3.5t. 32€ for the use over 10'days. He said they are very strict, and also suggested that I remove the existing sticker from my window, because that would show I travelled through with the wrong vignette....
So I guess that I will have to throw away the sticker I bought for 40+€, and then buy the proper one for 32€.
Live and learn .....

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well, I was sitting in the van, having a beer, looking at the view over lake Iseo, I had a knock at van door. It was a man waving a bit of paper, he said ' sprackency deutche' my reply was 'neine'. Anyway, he was showing me the bit of paper which he got at the Swiss boarder for vans over 3.5t. 32€ for the use over 10'days. He said they are very strict, and also suggested that I remove the existing sticker from my window, because that would show I travelled through with the wrong vignette....
So I guess that I will have to throw away the sticker I bought for 40+€, and then buy the proper one for 32€.
Live and learn .....

Up to you I guess but if driving straight through I have heard as long as not stopping even at services you are unlikely to get stopped.....Then again the permit for one day is only 3.25 SF.. peanuts!

Como - Basel 3.5 hrs + tunnel delays

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but hopefully this will set peoples minds at rest. This short dashcam video shows how stressful it is to register at the Swiss border with a heavy vehicle. The Border Guards are really helpful, you will hear him give me exact directions on what to do! :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There seems to be rule changes almost weekly in Switzerland !
last time we went it cost us €27 for the van and another €27 for the trailer..
AND we were stopped and checked by two armed police ( who seemed REALLY miffed we had the two vignettes ! )

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
There seems to be rule changes almost weekly in Switzerland !
last time we went it cost us €27 for the van and another €27 for the trailer..
AND we were stopped and checked by two armed police ( who seemed REALLY miffed we had the two vignettes ! )

Well... you have ruined our international reputation in one fair swoop! for being shysters and cheapskates:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but hopefully this will set peoples minds at rest. This short dashcam video shows how stressful it is to register at the Swiss border with a heavy vehicle. The Border Guards are really helpful, you will hear him give me exact directions on what to do! :D

That's terrible! The bare faced cheek of them! stopping a Englishmen on his travels:(

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
As I was travelling by myself, swmbo flew back to work, I decided to risk it, straight through the customs on the Italy side, and out of Switzerland into Germany .
But what amazing pieces of motorway building through the mountains....

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Naughty :D
I agree though, the motorways are something to behold!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back