LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just been in our new (used)MH tonight pottering about for a while, heating on, went to put some stuff in overhead cupboards and they are all damp with condensation....At least I'm hoping that's what it is. MH had habitation done before we bought it last week and highest reading was 13.2. Now I'm worried incase the results were false and we have a problem.

Whats your thoughts, am I right to worry? Now opened all windows a little.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont worry, its condensation.

Warm air inside and cold bodywork outside.
Some vans have little or no insulation in the overcab bulge.
Leave the locker doors open for a while.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
When our vans parked up we try and leave all the lockers open. This prevents them getting cold with no air flow

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I normally have the heating on very low (park at home on ehu) but still leave all the cupboards and doors open.

Came back from a trip late on one night and got a bit lazy. Didn't open the cupboards etc. and didn't connect the ehu.
Two days later SWMBO went in to the MH and panicked because the toilet walls and mirror were covered in moisture.
It was condensation.

Always park up properly now. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to have a Chausson Flash 04 (low profile) MH and had the same problem in the overcab locker as there was no real insulation on the 'ceiling' part, just the inner and outer fibreglass shells which I assume didn't have anything between them! I cured it by cutting down some old foam camping bed rolls and stuck them on to it and we had no further issues. This isn't only restricted to Chaussons, even Hobby MHs have this problem and they cost a fair bit more than ours did!

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We used to have a Chausson Flash 04 (low profile) MH and had the same problem in the overcab locker as there was no real insulation on the 'ceiling' part, just the inner and outer fibreglass shells which I assume didn't have anything between them! I cured it by cutting down some old foam camping bed rolls and stuck them on to it and we had no further issues. This isn't only restricted to Chaussons, even Hobby MHs have this problem and they cost a fair bit more than ours did!

Or was it lack of warm airflow in the overcab area?
Our Chausson overcab is lovely and warm at minus 27!:Eeek:

Hopefully it will be next week too!::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When we used to have a static it was the given thing among all the regulars to put dishes of salt around the cupboards and windows over the winter to collect condensation and it always worked as far as I know, we never had any problems anyway. But the mh never stands for long and it is in a shed so never bothered with it.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Or was it lack of warm airflow in the overcab area?
Our Chausson overcab is lovely and warm at minus 27!:Eeek:

Hopefully it will be next week too!::bigsmile:

Nope, ours was an actual cupboard, not an overcab bed which I assume is what your MH has and with therefore will have better insulation than a standard locker. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp

In 2 years we have never had condensation anywhere in our Hobby and I have never left any doors open in the winter, it could be that insulation is peculiar to the model not the brand

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
In 2 years we have never had condensation anywhere in our Hobby and I have never left any doors open in the winter, it could be that insulation is peculiar to the model not the brand

It tends to afflict some of the low profile versions, not overcabs ones, so you wouldn't experience it. Several people on another forum have mentioned it in the past about their Hobby low profiles.

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
We seem to get a lot of condensation on the windscreen in colder weather, which is to be expected I suppose. Which silver screen / blind would be best to avoid this - internal or external ??

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
External.Ive got both.but find externals more efficient:Smile:

Upvote 0

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
It tends to afflict some of the low profile versions, not overcabs ones, so you wouldn't experience it. Several people on another forum have mentioned it in the past about their Hobby low profiles.

We have had our low profile Hobby for 10 years and no problems with the cupboards left open or closed .

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We have a small fan heater programmed to come on twice a day while the van is sitting on the pad. We also leave all lockers etc open, and on a good dry day :)cry:where have they gone:Doh:) we air the Van for a couple of hours.

Upvote 0

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
I use a dehumidifier or i leave the heating on the lowest setting , never realy had any problems doing this .could be more of a problem to those of you who have to leave there van in an outside storage facility though, have mine at home so am able to plug in to electric hook up.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We seem to get a lot of condensation on the windscreen in colder weather, which is to be expected I suppose. Which silver screen / blind would be best to avoid this - internal or external ??

We use a Taylormade external cover and find it works very well.

www.taylormade-covers.co.uk

Some use Silverscreens and I believe that work very well too, but I have no personal knowledge of them.

www.silverscreens.co.uk

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just checked all our cupboards, no sign of any condensation.
There is a half inch gap between the tops of all the cupboards and the roof. Inset in the top of the cupboards is a strip of led lights that light up the roof in the hab area and the insides of the cupboards.
I leave the heating on low all the time when its parked up, maybe this gap enables warmer air to circulate in the cupboards and keep any condensation at bay. Plus, the walls are very well insulated.

Allan

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back