Condensation (1 Viewer)

M

Mitch

Deleted User
Hi, were suffering from condensation on the windows in our Ford E350 Coachman C-class. Usually in the morning in cold weather or when cooking.
Any tips :Smile:

Cheers, Mitch

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I get it to.

Be interesting to see if there is a solution.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I saw another thread where someone suggested running a small portable dehumidifier.

There has got to be a noise issue though.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dreamchaserrv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2008
Wherever we park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
9 Years
Mitch you need to carry a small dehumidifier.We have used one in our rv for 4 years. You can buy a small 12v/240 v one which if left on overnight will keep on top of the condensation when it has been reduced to a low level.:thumb:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Mitch
Welcome to the forum matey :thumb:
The reason that you get the condensation on the windows is because they are single glazed and the temperature differential across the glass causes the moisture entrained in the air to condense onto the cold glass. Cooking and breathing are the worst culprits..... You cannot change the laws of physics so no, there is no real solution to it I am afraid. You might try just cracking open one of the skylights or a window to allow a wee bit of air circulation, I have found that this does help a bit.
Good luck with it, and get a good quality chamois :roflmto::thumb:

Keith

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
We have used one regularly for a couple of years now with excellent results. B&Q usually do a fairly cheap line in them this time of year.

R

Rainbow

Deleted User
We have a C-class and never have any condensation since we got the silver padded exterior windscreen covers.

Jean

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Condencation

Just a thought. The by product of burning gas is water [ condensation ]

Q1/-Do you leave the stove on low at night to creat warmth ? A/ dont.

2/ If you leave the heater on all night, check that the exhaust is not blocked or leaking causing the exhaust fumes [carbonmonoxide ] to leak back into the van. If this is happening its a KILLER. :Eeek:

3/ Check that the fridge exhaust is not leaking into the van. Again it must be venting to the out side of the van

If all is well with the heater and fridge exhausts or anything else that burns gas, you will need to have adiquate ventilation to keep down the condensation coming from you breathing.

By the way, welcome to the M.H. Fun club, you are going to meet some very nice and helpful people. :thumb:
Pudseykeith.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I saw another thread where someone suggested running a small portable dehumidifier.

There has got to be a noise issue though.:Doh:

:Cool: That is the best solution. The only OTHER way is:-

1. Do NOT breathe in the RV.

2. Do NOT cook in the RV.

3. Do NOT SHOWER in the RV.

4. Do NOT BOIL Water in the RV.

5. Do NOT bring wet items of clothing and footwear into the RV.

6. Last but NOT least. Leave open the doors and windows to let fresh air circulate around the RV.

I am sure this will help some of you? :thumb:

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
i first bough a couple of small dehumidifiers from argos (about 10 inches high) to help with this. turned out to be totally useless. then i bought a big (£140 ish) dehumidifier from b & q. problem solved. no noise problems, and also has a usueful heater built in. however, have since discovered that since swmbo has stopped showering with the door open, humidity is MUCH reduced. no surprise there.

des

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I guess in a "c" class like mine, space would be at a premium.

Would the smaller units suffice for this size vehicle?What sort of power consumption and noise output?

It would be nice if they acted as an air-con in the summer and a dehumidifier in the cooler months.:RollEyes:

Is there such a thing?

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi external screen covers will stop all condensation on cab windows ! then on other windows the only solution is to crack them open a bit :thumb: and suffer a small draught:ROFLMAO::Eeek::ROFLMAO:
terry

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
I get it too in my C Class ( coachmen santara ) only on the side windows. Front does not get it due to the outside cover. When I get back home and park it up I put an electric de- humidifier in it to get any moisture out.

Some of the stand alone units you can get are quite good in small areas such as cuboards etc. I have one in my aircraft and it has been great keeping the avionics dry. When it's full you plug it in the mains it dries out ready to be used again. In the aircraft it lasts about three weeks. You would need a few in a RV, the one I have was about fifteen quid. Might be worth a try and they are silent.

Regards

Lampie

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Hi
We find that we get condensation in the cupboards in winter and on the front screen when cooking. We always leave the roof vents slightly open and try not to use LPG for anything unless we really have to. A low powered oil filled electric radiator left on 24/7 also seems to help dry out and we leave cupboards and wardrobes open when we go out, this really helps.

Jan

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
i dont have this problem i just take the grandkids the door opens every 6 seconds:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
dave

OP
OP
M

Mitch

Deleted User
Thanks

Wow, what a response.
Didn't realise there were so many RV's out there :Smile:
I'll try them all this weekend :ROFLMAO:

Mitch

S

speedy

Deleted User
Hi,
Just my couple of Penneth, I recently bought a 28ft A class Motorhome and the previous owners said that they suffered terribly from condensation and used a dehumidifier to keep on top of the problem. I know from conversations with them that they exclusively used the onboard blown air heating which is powered by gas to heat the vehicle and used the gas cooker alot. Since I've had the vehicle I have not used the blown air heating and and kept gas cooking down to a minimum and when I do ensure R.V is well ventilated. I can honestly say that I have had NO issues with condensation what so ever and have substiuted the gas blown air heating with a small Oil filled Radiator (15 quid from Halfords) and a small convector heater which keeps the R.V toastie even when temperatures have been down as low as -5. I'm convinced the gas heating has been the culprit. Oh and I have no need for a Dehumidifier since ditching the gas heating.
Regards Russ

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
i use dry bags which i got from fm our local caravan shop, they are completely natural no chemicals, plus you can use them over and over just bring them home when necessary and pop them in the oven to dry out, works for me, especially in winter, i buy samll ones for the wardrobes and everything stays dry. just buy a couple and see how you feel about them:Smile:
ruth

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I never used to have much condensation when RV was stored at home and constantly plugged in and warm but now we have her on a storage pitch for the first 3 days get a fair amount of it sadly.

Mind you with two rather large dogs who search out all thing wet it's no wonder really:roflmto:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: so that will be about 1 gallon of water per night that needs to go somewhere ie windows:ROFLMAO: we each breath out between 1 1/2 to 2 pints of water over night :Eeek::thumb:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back