condensation (1 Viewer)

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
i took my van out for a weekend trip to 'give it a run' and dry things out. It worked because we left the windows open and heating on during the day, but boil a kettle or two, go to sleep and the windows are soaking wet with condensation again this morning. I use the 'water crystals' when its in storage but are there any other tips please? Do you just accept it will get very condensated on trips in the winter? Surely using it once a month is still better than leaving it months on end?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Talking of water in van, does anyone have a Burstner that has a valve on the water tank and just lets the water out if it gets too cold . If so what’s best to do when going travelling through France in winter, should we tie it shut as will need water and expect some cold nights until we get into Spain at least
if its the pull up to close you can use a clothes peg to hold it shut

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 21, 2020
Blairgowrie and Rattray, Blairgowrie, UK
Funster No
MH
Class B
Exp
Since 2018
I made some internal screens which work well. Side windows - use some cheap ply from b and q which i cut to size and covered with some silver bubble insulation I had.

If you have 240v you could try a dehumidifier. Mine was £40 from argos but I really bought it after a leak to dry out the interior. I cannot say if it will reduce the moisture from cooking and breathing.

It is the water vapour inside and the temperature difference that causes the problem. You could try turning the heat off and sleep with the windows open.

Upvote 0
Jan 9, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 803F
Exp
Since 2006
i took my van out for a weekend trip to 'give it a run' and dry things out. It worked because we left the windows open and heating on during the day, but boil a kettle or two, go to sleep and the windows are soaking wet with condensation again this morning. I use the 'water crystals' when its in storage but are there any other tips please? Do you just accept it will get very condensated on trips in the winter? Surely using it once a month is still better than leaving it months on end?
I have noticed that, in our MH, we always have condensation at the bottom of most of the acrylic windows for the first 2 to 3 mornings of use if and when the weather is cold. This is especially true of the windows around our sleeping area. The problem disappears after a few days. Apart from the moisture in the van due to cooking and breathing, I have reached the conclusion that this is due to inherent moisture within the van furnishings which levels out after a few days. No problems after that, but this has been observed every time we holiday in cold weather.

For the record, we have a dividing door between the cab and habitation areas which works well in keeping the heat in the habitation area, whilst also preventing condensation in the cab area without the use of an external screen. (As others have said, external screens do work very well, too, though.)
Whilst cooking / boiling kettles, etc, we always open the window at the cooker (even if only very slightly in extreme cold) and also open the roof vent above the kitchen area. (We also use the cooker hood fan, although, I get the impression that the window and roof vent do most good.)
I think that the design of the roof vents might mean that they constantly ventilate the MH even when fully closed. Unsure on this, though.
We have an ALDE heating system which we leave on under thermostatic control.

Hope the info is of some use to you.

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
i'll get some silver screens either way. Next stupid question..."open vents make all the difference". Where might i find these vents? There is a type of 'grill' on the side of the van but i thought that was something to do with the fridge or boiler?
Another thing worth considering Is fitting wind deflectors to the cab doors...you can leave the windows cracked a few CM's .this creates a breeze through when a skylight is open..no rain can come in ..only about 30 quid...makes driving with the windows down quieter...bit of a pain to clean the door glass tho.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Exterior screens and our roof light is always open. Whilst cooking I use the extraction over the hob and if a lot of steam open the door or rear window a crack!
If you've had a lot of condensation over time it will take a while to clear, open doors & windows whenever weather is ok.

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
russ the rambler

I have just changed from a fiat based C class (2011) to a A class and I still have the external themal windscreen cover, its a few years old but in very good condition, plus a very nearly new (used for a couple of weeks in october only, I still have the reciept) lower bnnet skirt, this covers from lower windscreen to the ground .

There "somewhere" in the back of the garage, but if you would be interested I could dig them out,

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
i'm a newbie
I'm just in the process of planning a PVC and wondering, if ducting from the warm air heating was directed near to the acrylic double glazed windows, is that likely to reduce condensation, or make it worse?

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
CITROEN LA TRADA
Exp
Since 2015
I turn on resirculated air button. That helps alot on the windshield. And run the Truma on full blow with wents open does the job

Upvote 0

fiferjim

Free Member
Jul 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner B Class
Exp
Since around 2012
I'm just in the process of planning a PVC and wondering, if ducting from the warm air heating was directed near to the acrylic double glazed windows, is that likely to reduce condensation, or make it worse?
Surely would help. Will be similar to cab heating set to blow on windscreen

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
As my post under another heading, I bought external thermal screens from http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/ excellent service, bit pricier at £199, but well worth it, cured my problem although if I leave the heating on all night (very rarely), I leave the roof light open just a crack. Hope you get it sorted.

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I made a school boy error a couple of days ago.

I thought I’d put the heating on in the van for a while, just to warm her up. However, I didn’t put my external thermal screen on, so when I went back to the van about 30 minutes later, the cold outside air had caused the inside of the windscreen and front windows to steam up.

I wiped it all off, but the only way to get rid of it completely, was to open all the doors to air the van........that was a waste of gas. :whistle: :censored:

Upvote 1

KimSteve

Free Member
Apr 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Luna Roadstar 2004
we have just tried salt bowls and have just ordered some dehumidifier pods off Amazon. van parked out of sunlight to minimise and temperature variations.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back