condensation on the inside of the screen (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Great idea! I was aware that cat litter is good for absorbing moisture in caravans, MHs etc, but putting it in an old sock, rather than in tubs with holes in the top, is a much better idea. Might have to give it a go ... I'll just have to nick some of hubby's socks when he's not looking! :D2

I think there's going to be loads of people trying this idea, socks will be going missing all over the place.

What about an old draught excluder cut, emptied. re-filled with cat litter and then seen back up?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Outside screens all the time. Don’t take a minute to put on or take off. Cooking inside with heating on, cold outside, never one bit of condensation. Open the middle in day to let light in.
28E62DEA-0985-402A-BD3A-02BFB9CF9C62.jpeg

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Outside screens are both expensive and a bit of a pain to fit on a large A Class screen.
In our Carthago the front blind/screen is quite well insulated and there are two radiators fitted on top of the dash which are half inside and half outside of the blind and so give some heat to the screen.
As we don't have a drop down bed over the cab there is a small roof light over the cab area. Leaving that open a tad at night seems to make a huge difference. The Karcher window vac takes care of any condensation on a very cold morning.

Richard.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think there's going to be loads of people trying this idea, socks will be going missing all over the place.

What about an old draught excluder cut, emptied. re-filled with cat litter and then seen back up?
Good thinking Batman! Might not do that myself though as our dogs think draught excluders are toy snakes so like to bite and shake them around ... don't want cat litter shaking all over the camper if they decide to 'kill' it! :D

Only downside I can think of is if they are left in situ all the time the damp they hold 'might' cause issues on older MHs where the base of the windscreen has some metal exposed and thus encourage rust etc, however so long as they are regularly dried out (weather permitting!) it should be okay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just reading up on dehydration and it seems carbon filled bags have a limited life but silica gel bags some available on Amazon can be repeatedly dried by heating.
Tried the cat litter, boy it stinks awful :eek:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Silver screen is the way to go ,stops the damp.When parked up we also tend to put it on during the day as well if the sun is very hot helps to keep the van cool.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Silver screen is the way to go ,stops the damp.When parked up we also tend to put it on during the day as well if the sun is very hot helps to keep the van cool.

Have used but don’t like them , a pain to put on and take off especially when persisting down .

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Have used but don’t like them , a pain to put on and take off especially when persisting down .

my mate has the silver screen on his Hymer Classic, it seems to be a 2 person install, and as said previously, not good if it's hissing down with rain, we@re quite happy with the charcoal been using it now for some time, radiator, dry, use again no problem

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Our 2015 Hymer A class came with the Hymer screen as part of the Arktis Package. Looks very good quality and thicker than the Silverscreens or Taylormade. Not difficult to put up single handed, once you get the hang of it. But it takes a good 10 minutes or so to get it out of the bag, unrolled, sorted and up on the screen. And another 10 minutes to get it down, folded, rolled and back in the bag. But never got the Taylormade screen on our previous C class up and down in much less than that anyway. And, if it has rained overnight, you have to get it all back out of the bag to dry when you can.

A quick go over with the Karcher window vac is a lot quicker, especially when you are only staying for one or two nights.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I also use the Karcher but have to put a sock on it otherwise it sprays everywhere .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Great idea! I was aware that cat litter is good for absorbing moisture in caravans, MHs etc, but putting it in an old sock, rather than in tubs with holes in the top, is a much better idea. Might have to give it a go ... I'll just have to nick some of hubby's socks when he's not looking! :D2

Cat litter obviously absorbent but is it re usable if dried ? Might be a cheap way out .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cat litter obviously absorbent but is it re usable if dried ? Might be a cheap way out .
No idea ... I have dogs not cats so never used it but no doubt cat owners would be able to advise.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had genuine Hymer external screen on the last van only used them a few times so didn't bother with this van.
Found we don't really need them as we have the aluminium insulated front blind & there are heating vents along the top of the dash between the screen and blind. Only time we get condensation is when we have been running the van hot and when we put the blind up & it makes a beeline for the screen. A quick wipe with the Karcher window vac clears it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Following on from the cat litter idea for the windscreen ... do you think if I make a flat version and suspend it above the cooker it will act as a cooking steam collector? :D

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Following on from the cat litter idea for the windscreen ... do you think if I make a flat version and suspend it above the cooker it will act as a cooking steam collector? :D

Interesting.
I was a little disappointed when my mhome didn’t have an extractor as my previous RVs did.

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
We have an A class ( no insulated screen) and dry with a Karcher and then place a fan bought for the heatwave and now used to finish the drying process, till the engine heats up to keep the window dry.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Cheapest way as standard covers dont fit A class vans is a length of bubble wrap under the wipers and top fixed with a couple of bits of duct tape on top of windscreen.

You could also do it on C class

Peter

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
I've got a twenty year old cat, I had to buy cat litter for her when the dogs decided she could squeak louder than their dog toys!!! She was grounded for a week in her cat house. I had a huge bag of litter left over, thanks for the tip folks, now I know what to do with the odd socks. The cat recovered by the way, Frankie is now in her 21st year.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Condensation, caused by warm air coming in contact with a cold surface.

Best way to avoid completely is don't allow warm air to come in contact with cold surface.

We never get condensation on the cab windows of our fiat Ducato because we have use three plywood board to seal off the cab after pulling the overcab bed across.
It's got to be a very cold night before we get the smallest amount of condensation windows around the bottom edge of the habitation windows and we just mop that up window kitchen roll.

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Hi,
We use a kaercher handheld window cleaner.
Just sucks up all the moisture.
Once charged had a very long battery life.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back