Condensation inside of the cab windows. Would this cure it? (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
unlike coach builts where the cab is poorly insulated if at all! In the A class heating ducts extend to front windscreen vents....

We always sit until after dark with blinds back . With top vents open and heating a bit lower rarely a problem with condensation.
Ah thanks, so those vents can be active when the vehicle is stationary. Do you have the cab heating set to re-circulate or for outside?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sorry, have to ask but what is it about the 'Hymer' that means you do not get any condensation in the windscreen?
Read my earlier post, Hymers have vent outlets from the blow air heating along the front of the dash between the blinds and screen.

hymer.jpg

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ah thanks, so those vents can be active when the vehicle is stationary. Do you have the cab heating set to re-circulate or for outside?

No its the truama heating, it extends to the front which is better insulated and wider so more comfortable then a coachbuilt anyway. there is normally more room between the front seats as well. crossed with Lenny's post

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
unlike coach builts where the cab is poorly insulated if at all! In the A class heating ducts extend to front windscreen vents....
Not on my 2005 B584 Classic they don't! But I'd had the same idea about extending them.

Back to the OP - 'silver' screens aren't popular for no reason. Not only do they clear cab window condensation but they make a marked difference to the temperature at the cab end as well.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In winter in my Hymer B544 we suffered the worst condensation of any van we've ever owned. External Silver Screens sorted it though.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Could the disgruntled dug no just sleep up on the dashboard and keep the windae clear wi body heat and tail wagging?:confused::giggle:
Seems a cheap solution tae me.(y)

If not, exterior screens like us and others.

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
There is no way I am going to be farting about with exterior screens. One of the lovely things about changing to this MH is the wonderful integrated blinds at the front.

My karcher thingy will be going with us from now on!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We had external screens on our old van and found them a pain to store when wet, though they were effective
Appreciate the point about the Hymer front vents allowing the heating system to heat up the glass, but I think this would be an awful waste of energy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We had external screens on our old van and found them a pain to store when wet, though they were effective
Appreciate the point about the Hymer front vents allowing the heating system to heat up the glass, but I think this would be an awful waste of energy
Your Carthago has it as well, as usual they copied Hymer.:D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Did not want to go down the exterior screen cover route, if possible. I see so many motorhomers pitch up, and then out with the exterior screen cover, blocking any view from the cab. We like to sit with our cup of tea and watch the world outside (and, perhaps wondering why others want to sit in such a dark motorhome). Thought about the Hymer route, but their range did not tick all the boxes, plus having had a Hymer caravan which had a lot of niggling problems did not want to repeat that experience. For the odd times we do get condensation it looks as though it will be the micro fiber cloth still, and as I said in my introduction "wallet is still firmly closed on the extras/options front".
Don't forget external screens work very well at the other end of the temperature range. We have internal blinds as well but when the sun is shining on the windscreen in a hot country an external screen makes a huge difference to keeping the interior cool.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The trouble with condensation on the inside of A class screen is that as soon as you touch it it all runs down and then disappears under the dashboard just to reappear come the evening or even worse make whatever is under there go rotten, so it's best to stop it happening one way or another.

Martin

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not on my 2005 B584 Classic they don't! But I'd had the same idea about extending them.

Back to the OP - 'silver' screens aren't popular for no reason. Not only do they clear cab window condensation but they make a marked difference to the temperature at the cab end as well.

Sorry..was only talking about exsis vans that we were looking at..maybe later B's have it as well..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

the idea is to heat cab area making it more comfortable..windscreen demisting a bonus

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Looking in the brochure, the Drivers Cabin DOES has heating (ducts by the driver and passenger seats) but none between the windscreen and the blind.
The Alde system mentions a booster in the drivers cabin, though again I'm not sure if this has any facility for heating the windscreen.
Don't know why they dont just have a heated windscreen like you'd have in a car?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Looking in the brochure, the Drivers Cabin DOES has heating (ducts by the driver and passenger seats) but none between the windscreen and the blind.
The Alde system mentions a booster in the drivers cabin, though again I'm not sure if this has any facility for heating the windscreen.
Don't know why they dont just have a heated windscreen like you'd have in a car?
Sure my mates C- Tourer I42QB has it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Because they are meant for melting ice on the outside not water in. Would take forever.Start engine with aircon on will clear it quicker. Assuming air con fitted.:)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Our Carthago has the optional Alde heating (which is fabulous) and has rads built in to the top of the dash plus one with a switched booster fan under the drivers seat.

Although we haven't used the van in very cold conditions yet when we have had the odd chilly night in the hills of central France there didn't seem to be much condensation although there was a little one night. I don't think we helped on that occasion as all the roof vents were closed so little ventilation.

Richard.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Oh, as an addition, I have an almost new set of Silver Screens for a Ducato X250 which I need to sell if anyone is interested. Used a few times on our AutoTrail and won't fit the A class.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back