Condensation in garage (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Just back from another successful short trip. New purchase all going well now but I noticed when I opened the garage doors on a few mornings there was a lot of condensation round the garage door seals, door themselves were quite wet with small pools of water at the bottom of each door. My heating was on all night on a low 2 setting but it does blow warm air into the garage hence the condensation. Has anyone else come across this problem? Not sure why there is a hot air vent coming into the garage and there is no flap to close it off? Could I just block it up or is it for safety and I just live with the condensation?

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
There is a flap to close mine off (which I have closed) so I would guess it’s ok to block it off. It would mean greater airflow to the other vents.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've sealed the garage off from the cab with foam pipe insulation tube. I saw no point in heating an empty garage and I don't want any fumes coming into the cab from it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG’s trips
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Thanks, maybe just block it off and make sure my carbon alarms are all in order if using gas ! Seems a bit daft to have a vent going in there in the first place but I suppose some may want it to dry stuff out,

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I also found that any items that accidentally block/go in front of the vent can be damaged by the heat in my van. I assume this is due to it being so close to the boiler.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG’s trips
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Yes the vent is right beside the boiler hence gives out quite intense heat which seems a waste. I just didn’t want to block it off in case it risked damaging the boiler and was there for a reason other than just dispensing heat..like a run off for example.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You really need ventilation into the garage area to minimise condensation. Moist, if it is, warm air into the garage would probably just increase the condensation issue.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG’s trips
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Not sure how I would get ventilation into garage without leaving door open all night but maybe more elaborate motorhomes have there own vents (or I could cut a bit of door out and fit a grill).

fit a grill.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We have the same issue with ours, but as we have alde heating we don't even get the airflow caused by the blown air, really don't think there is much that can be done apart from opening the doors when weather is dry?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG’s trips
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
I’m a bit paranoid about damp having come across so many used vans, whilst I was looking over an 18 month period, that failed the ‘Sniff’ test!

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
you can also get a thermal bridge effect caused by the frame of the locker door. I get this sometimes and don’t worry about it

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
We use aluminium takeaway trays filled with silica cat litter granules to make sure we don’t get condensation in the MoHo when it’s in storage. We use a total of 6, I put 2 in the garage and the rest distributed around the inside of the hab/cab area. I number the lids and leave them on the driver’s seat so I don’t forget any when we move off!
1603016931831.jpeg

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would be very cautious about just sealing up the existing vent as it will get very hot and you have to ensure you have the minimum number of vents operating for some systems so check you won't compromise this if you decide to do so.

We had a vent in the garage of our previous Rimor MH but no heating in the rear next to the bed so I moved heating tube and vent up inside the corner of the wardrobe and out the side so the vent was over the bed then just blocked up the hole in the garage as there was nothing there anymore (yes it was a lid off a food tub as that's all I had to hand at the time!). The bed was then lovely and toasty!

DSCF2388.JPG
DSCF2397.JPG
DSCF2407.JPG

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to say, the condensation is because the doors/surrounds won't be as well insulated as the rest of the garage so by heating the air it's going to react with the colder outside of the door and cause condensation to form, no different to the inside of the cab windscreen getting condensation on it but not the walls of the MH.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PG’s trips
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Thanks Minxy girl that all makes sense. Think I will learn to live with it just dry out and air it in the mornings instead of me expelling any more hot air!

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Don't have a problem with ours as nothing is left in the garage after a trip but it was said that if you want to accelerate rust just park a car in a heated garage wet through, No problem heating it but as soon as you can open both doors and get a through draft the warm air will help dry wet goods but make sure well ventilated

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
On most hot air systems there is one vent that doesnt close to avoid damage if its run with all the vents closed. You could swap your open vent for one in a better place and put the one with the flap in the garage. My van has two heated lockers, but both have flaps.

Upvote 0

Interceptor

Free Member
Feb 25, 2020
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 5
Exp
02-02-20
Hi
If you have an outlet in the garage keep it open.
The first time I used my new van I thought why heat an area not in use the garage and bathroom.
And the garage did condensate.
So now I just have all of vents open and heat all area.
Even the bathroom and it all go's out the vent in the roof.
And never had a problem since.
When on electric I put the fan in the garage and leave the inner door open.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back