Condensation? Do you use these..van in storage 6 weeks (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
20171126_112620.jpg
20171126_112620.jpg

Attachments

• 20171126_112643.jpg
    20171126_112643.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 4

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
No, drain down completely,open all cupboards and drawers, make sure vents are open under cooker and leave. Ventilation is the key.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Waste of money IMHO.
DITTO DITTO DITTO. See these for sale in France all the time, just don't work.
For mold to grow and flourish one needs damp air that is static. Change any one, or both of those ingredients and no mold. Best remedy is fresh air. Heating the air only increases the airs ability to hold moisture and then if/when it cools = mold.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We do (although we have granules not the 'tablets' you seem to have) and they do collect water. Ours is in storage from August to the following March generally although we do take it out occasionally during that time) and we find it does not collect water until the cold and damp really sets in around December usually. We put one near the door and one in the middle of the van.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
We do all the other things mentioned too. We don't have any damp but are usually surprised how much water collects.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I’ve always used “granule” type in the van during the winter.

They collect moisture and need emptying and refilling fairy regularly and we’ve never had a hint of condensation or damp in the van.

Can’t really say any more than that.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Also use granule type collect a bit of water, but not much. We do use the van in winter, just back after a one nighter at a folk do, it was freezing, well 1 degree, don't think the ventilation we used will have been enough to dispel the moisture from boiling the kettle though, so just a precaution really.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Losing battle......
By removing the moisture from the air it simply promotes yet more moist air to enter via vents as fast as the granules/tablets remove it.
Ventilation is the only answer.
Doors and drawers open to prevent swelling and jamming.
Roof vent slightly open and floor vents uncovered.
Dash vents open to external air and directed to floor level to stop windscreen condensation.

OP
OP
Marvic
Nov 4, 2014
blackpool
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thanks for info. Van on a farm site. Roof vents open ,not sure about this. Worried about mice. They can squeeze in anywhere.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
As pappajohn said...plus take it out for a good run at least once a month. All machines need to be worked. It keeps everything working....brakes,clutch.gearbox,suspension. Try to do 20 to 30 miles of different driving styles i.e. Italian tune up on the motorway,town/village to use gears etc.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
I'd worry about mice too. Someone turned up on a site we were on in France with that problem. He'd just got his van out of storage and discovered it was infested with mice. They were having a lovely time chewing through his upholstery, wires etc etc.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Do you really need to open roof vents as ours allows a draught in anyway if the blind is pulled back a bit :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You shouldn't need to leave any roof vents open as they normally have some gaps to allow for air to enter/exit anyway, as well as other smaller vents in the camper too - just open up drawers and cupboard doors and if the contents are pushed to the back, just pull them away from it a bit, same with seat cushions etc so you leave a gap behind them so that the air can circulate and not get 'stale' which is what usually causes damp/mould; also air the van occasionally if you can't take it out by going to it on a nice dry day and opening the doors, roof vents etc for a little while.

Forget the water collector things, humidifiers etc, they are a total waste of money IMV as all they do is remove damp from the air that is immediately replaced by the air coming in from outside.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
The larger dessicants 3in square roughly will pull out moisture i put a few in cupboards

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
My Aunty Bertha always used to put a kilo of ordinary table salt in a washing up bowl in her static caravan and it worked just like the expensive dessicants. She would go halfway through the winter and empty the water out so the washing up bowl didn't overflow (just shows how effective the salt was and a fraction of the price).

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have got a British van so I just put hundreds of bowls on the floor to catch the drips.

#winterised.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If mice are going to get in they'll get in regardless of intentionally left open vents.
Dash bulkhead/firewall is favourite.
dashboard Air vents.
They WILL find a way in somewhere.
Less chance of them taking residence if there's no warmth or food...even crumbs.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
If mice are going to get in they'll get in regardless of intentionally left open vents.
Dash bulkhead/firewall is favourite.
dashboard Air vents.
They WILL find a way in somewhere.
Less chance if there's no warmth or food...even crumbs.

They won’t go into British vans - too damp.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The larger dessicants 3in square roughly will pull out moisture i put a few in cupboards
And they cause a vacuum in the cupboards ?
Without that vacuum all the moisture you remove is instantly replaced by fresh moist air so all you're really doing is keeping the manufacturers wealthy..
The air will only hold so much moisture for a given volume and by removing it you just make room for it to be replenished.
Bit like a bath and running tap....you can empty the bath (van) with a cup (dessicant) but the tap (fresh air) keeps topping it up.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I’ve always used “granule” type in the van during the winter.

They collect moisture and need emptying and refilling fairy regularly and we’ve never had a hint of condensation or damp in the van.

Can’t really say any more than that.

:confused: You could explain how they work in a relatively large area in which the air is not constantly moving (y).

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Tis true as mention by others, use dehumidifiers be they cristal, electric or whatever method by reducing the humidity within old mother nature will find a way to reset the humidity balance with that outside unless you create a perfect seal against the outside. You could shrinkwrap the complete motorhome to that effect but so much easier, cheaper and effective to take out all consumables, open all cupboards, place cushions on their edge to present the greater surface to the free air, lift the bed matress to improve circulation, empty all water including in the boiler do not heat and then visit and open all doors and vents for a little while to change the air .... BUT ... beware if there is a rapid increase in ambiant temperature ie abnormal warm day in winter, the increased air temperature will almost certainly carry a high humidity level and opening the MH and letting warm moist air into a cold interior will create an amazing amount of condensate within. It is a juggling act for sure. Now, how many balls can you keep in the air at once?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Been using one of these for 6 years and very good, well recommended.

Wouldn't be leaving any vents, windows or roof vents open. I do leave the interior doors ajar as I do the cupboard and also open the fridge door too, with the freezer flap held open.

It's each to their own, but I wouldn't be without this in the damp weather.
http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/unibond...MI6v7uk_Lc1wIVorvtCh3CjAgWEAQYASABEgJcnPD_BwE
IMG_4348.JPG

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I am in the "waste of time" camp.
Your van has a number of air vents to allow air flow and stop you getting killed by the gas appliances. These let in the outside air, which is full of moisture. So yes it's going to fill with water but just absorbed from the air and replaced as soon as you have done it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back