Condensation/Damp in Ducato headlights (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Having suffered from the above problem since buying our 2004 Fiat Ducato based MH I decided to try and sort it out.....
Our o/s headlight unit has suffered from condensation or water ingress since we bought it. I spent a couple of hours with a hairdryer with lights on main beam to dry it out for the MOT. No problems there. The water soon returned so I took to driving with at sidelights on to try and keep it at bay but that didn't improve it much. So... ordered a replacement (second hand) off Ebay and sorted it today.
First thing I found was that the probable cause of the ingress was the fact that the rear cover, which you have to remove to access the bulbs, was not secured properly in that of the two spring clips required to hold it in place, one was not on was clipped on properly so the cover wasn't tight against the gasket. I suspect that someone in the past has tried to replace a bulb without removing the unit first.
The point of the parable is that if anyone else is suffering the same problem, first make sure both clips are in place. When I removed the old unit there was about 200ml of water inside the unit so I am surprised it worked at all!!
If anyone wants any images to show what I am talking about or how I removed the unit let me know. It took me about 1/2 hour in total to sort it.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I had a little condensation in my OS unit the other day but leaving the lights on sorted it after about ten minutes. But I shall have a closer in the light of day. Thanks for the heads up!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back