LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Half a million for a tourer - you must be joking!!!! That's a moving house on wheels! Got to be a serious long term nomad with an executive pension to justify and afford that. Absurd!!
Not sure why it’s “Absurd” that somebody spends a % of their income/savings on what they want. Good on them I say.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Michael

I have worn varifocal since my flying days and for sailing and driving and they have been excellent.

I had no problem getting used to them, despite others' comments. I never had bi-focal but I think I would have more trouble adjusting to those.

The Civil Aviation Authority were not keen on the varifocal at first, because of the deterioration in peripheral vision, but now for an extra cost one can overcome that deficiency in the lenses, but I just go with the standard ones.

Of course as a pilot one had to have bi-focal or varifocal as one could not be changing glasses to look at the instruments then the runway ahead, but then I think it is similar with driving.

What I like about them is that if something at a certain distance is a bit fuzzy then only slight inclination of the head up or down solves that problem.

Just my thoughts for consideration.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff, I am going to look into it. On the German forum LT there is debate about lens replacement as a definitive solution with many positive reviews.

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Took me 6 months to a year to get use to them. Been wearing them for 6 years now & still prefer reading glasses for reading. Also can't look at large computer screens with them have a seperate pair that are just Mid range & Reading varifocals.
We are all different 😊😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As this seems to have drifted into a glasses discussion I will add that I have been using VF for years but a lot depends on the lens you go for.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Are you talking about surgery for lens Michael?

I must admit Ive been wondering but havent tried VF yet.
I think so but not sure. I have to say having surgery because it is the only way is one thing but I feel very precious about my eyes. I know someone who had cataracts, one op worked the other didn't she was blind in one eye! Scary.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
I wonder when those exterior mirrors will disappear to be replaced by cameras!!
Have see quite a few HGVs on our trip a couple of weeks ago without mirrors ie Amazon and TESCO trucks.
Anyone else noticed?
DJT
If they malfunction its a recovery job !

• Informative
Reactions: DJT
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I really hate electric parking brakes. The Volvo truck design is particularly poor as its a finger type thing on the dash and there is no click or clunk to confirm its on, its too easy not to put it on properly. They also don't always release automatically - the older they get the more random this is - leaving you sitting like a chump on a green light.

A relative with a polo ( I think) went to move her car on our gravel driveway and it took a bit of getting going, we then realised that because she hadnt fastened her seatbelt, the brake hadnt released. If she wants to move it she has to start it and sit in the seat with her seatbelt on, Its too much control!

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I really hate electric parking brakes. The Volvo truck design is particularly poor as its a finger type thing on the dash and there is no click or clunk to confirm its on, its too easy not to put it on properly. They also don't always release automatically - the older they get the more random this is - leaving you sitting like a chump on a green light.

A relative with a polo ( I think) went to move her car on our gravel driveway and it took a bit of getting going, we then realised that because she hadnt fastened her seatbelt, the brake hadnt released. If she wants to move it she has to start it and sit in the seat with her seatbelt on, Its too much control!
The trouble is Jon you are fighting a losing battle as it's coming like it or not so you just have to hope the technology gets better or the operator learns to embrace it ;)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The trouble is Jon you are fighting a losing battle as it's coming like it or not so you just have to hope the technology gets better or the operator learns to embrace it ;)
true martin but you know my strategy - buy ever older although I am going to look at a newer scooter this afternoon 😁

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think so but not sure. I have to say having surgery because it is the only way is one thing but I feel very precious about my eyes. I know someone who had cataracts, one op worked the other didn't she was blind in one eye! Scary.
I ve been wondering about laser treatment but like you - they re the only eyes Ive got.

I ve been wearing a single reading contact lense for some years which has been working well but my other vision is now starting to deteriorate.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I ve been wondering about laser treatment but like you - they re the only eyes Ive got.

I ve been wearing a single reading contact lense for some years which has been working well but my other vision is now starting to deteriorate.
Had both my eyes done with Lazer in 2001 went to London for a few days as it was about the only place that did it at the time.
Unbelievable the difference it made was like Superman vision for the first couple of days till it settled down.
Just started to have glasses for reading in the last 3-4 years.
Had both mind done on the same day😳😳
Worst bit is when the little machine they bolt to your eye goes across and slices the top off😳

Jul 1, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I dont know if you know already ,but the man in charge at Morello used to own Concorde

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Go in with an open mind and look, touch, feel MORELO suited us better in the end but our short list was MORELO or Concorde as Frankia went out in the earlier rounds, it’s just down to personal taste and what ticks your boxes, Concorde will be showing their new designs at Düsseldorf so it could all change 😏 good job we are not going😄

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

I suggest going to a good optician first. By good I mean one who can do a lot more tests than you will get from one of the budget chains.

I used Vision Express for a few years recently as an attempt to save money but the VF glasses they provided were not very good with a narrow field of vision. So I went back to my original optician knowing a pair of specs from them doesn't give you much change (if any!) from £1k.

I had several sorts of examination/test including having the back of my eyes photographed. Had early stage cataracts diagnosed and was advised to use daily eye drops as they detected the surface of my eyes were starting to get worn - common in wrinklies like me. The glasses I got from them are excellent. I can see the damage to my wallet from a considerable distance. :)

As several folk have said they are the only eyes you've got and personally I wouldn't touch laser surgery with a barge pole. They might do it right initially but eyes change and you are likely to be back wearing glasses in a few years.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If they malfunction its a recovery job !
Don't see why. If it becomes an issue (and I doubt that it will) a window clip-on would give a decent rear view to drive to the depot or a repair place. There are too many advantages for them not to become the norm. I'd have a set tomorrow if they were available / affordable.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have you considered varifocals? I have these from specsavers and have found them to be excellent, I believe they come in different price/function bands, the ones I have are the tailor-made ones but they have some specifically for driving.

They do a two for one deal as well so you can have a pair of sunglasses with the same prescription.
I tried some specsavers varifocals with a complicated prescription, couldn't see a thing through them , they tried again still couldn't see so he asked to see the glasses I had on which came from costco , there was a ahh right, these are essilor lenses , we can get those but they'll be expensive.

Back to costco , first go with essilor , perfect , not all varifocals are the same

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Don't see why. If it becomes an issue (and I doubt that it will) a window clip-on would give a decent rear view to drive to the depot or a repair place. There are too many advantages for them not to become the norm. I'd have a set tomorrow if they were available / affordable.

A few years ago I organised a trip to the UK for members of our French club. One of the members was unfortunate to clip an eastern European lorry as he was leaving the ferry in his Rapido and demolished his right side "coach" mirror. I spent several hours the next morning trying to find something suitable as a temporary replacement. In the end we went for a car-style wing mount caravan mirror and fabricated some mounting brackets. It did the job for the next two weeks. A replacement cost him, or his insurance, some 3500€. So, there are ways and means to ivercome some problems.

J

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Have you driven a vehicle with mirror cam and good luck finding a dealer with the software!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back