Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Any Computer Techi's out there to advise me?? At home at present (Off to Cornwall for a few days tomorrow) When I "Log on" the speed is 54 Mbps (now dropped to 24) and will soon be at 1 and I will not be able to access the internet etc/ Something needs replacing??I dare say This has happened for some time now but just aware off it>
Many thanks:Eeek:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Are you wireless? There are a number of things that can affect like wireless phones etc. Do a speed test to check whether it is your connection or no
Suggest you run your test on a site like this.

Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm no expert.. but it may be a virus that's hogging your bandwidth .. do you have a good up to date anti virus program running ?
Do you have another computer you can compare speed with, if on wireless try connecting with a cable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
First question is where are you seeing this speed? Is it on your wireless connection or are you on a fast internet connection from the likes of Virgin?

If it is your wireless connection it may not be anything to worry about too much as no doubt the broadband connection will be down in the single Mb's.

If it is wireless, changing the channel on the router may help. If you have too many wireless networks on the same channel in the area they can interfere with each other.

OP
OP
geoff1947

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Thanks

Thanks for advice and will get my son to look at the problem. I understand most things but electronics :Eeek:etc No way!!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It could be times that you are logging on (peak times), it usually is 'Background Programs' - these can be anything from sapping anti virus programs (some really slow you down) it could be a virus, could even be a toolbar - google toolbars are well known for slowing things down.

Have a tidy up, and strip non-essential programs down. Some automatically run on start up - alot of these you may not need. Check also if you are having auto updates, as these will be priority and slow you up. You can time these to take place when you shut down etc.

I would run a full scan first for spyware, malware and Virus:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back