Computer virus.....help please (1 Viewer)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Recently a member of our family contacted me to let me know he had received a multi address e-mail with a link, and suggested I had a virus in the laptop.

I ran Malwarebytes as I do weekly, and security essentials daily, both were run twice and reported no risks etc.

Two minutes ago, my daughter e-mailed me to say she had received the same multi addressed e-mail with the link. I tried to type the link in be it registers in blue, so I've deleted it out.

This latest e-mail was despatched at 02.17 am 14/08/2014 when I was tucked up in bed and the laptop was switched of.

Any advice would be most welcome, it would appear someone has control of this laptop.

Thanking you all in anticipation.

Deleted User
Not an expert on this by any means but I would suggest that someone has hacked your email account, a change of password may solve the problem.

OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Thanks for the advice Matamoros and Papajohn.
Last night I checked the settings and found the windows firewall was switched of...................tried to reset set it and it produced error code Ox6D9, and after trying another approach it produced error code Ox80070422.

No matter which way I approach this, system restore, reboot nothing is allowing the firewall to be turned on.

Security Essentials is working normally as is Malware bytes.

Any advice on this would be gratefully received.

Thanking you all in anticipation.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have come across similar problems on a friends laptop, not being able to clear using malware bytes type software. I downloaded a boot disc on my laptop then booted his laptop with the disc which allowed me to clear his unit of this scare ware type of problem. Dont have all the details with me but I'm sure others will know if yours is a similar problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are still able to receive e-mails then it sounds a bit different to what I experience when someone hijacked my account. They set up a redirect so anyone sending an email to me or replying to the email they sent out (saying I was stuck in Malaysia without any money ;)) would have there e-mail sent to the spammers, who would then no doubt try and trick someone into wiring me (them) some money.

No help to the OP of course to whom I can only suggest trying a safe boot (press F8 during start up) and running things again. Also in Microsoft Essentials run a full scan. The little critter they put on my machine was not picked up by the quick scan. It will take at least a couple of hours to run but well worth it.

OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Thanks Buttons,

I will have a look online for boot disc's.

thanks also to DJA, that link is interesting, in fact it has started the firewall in as its listed in the start menu, so that's ok, I thought, but when I checked in the security centre, it asked to be turned on. When I did so, the popup said "windows could not start the firewall" so I'm not out of the woods yet.

DevonBeeKeeper, I am still receiving emails so I'm not suffering your plight, and yes I have run a full scan on Essentials, nothing found, will do as you suggest (F8) and another full scan.

Thanks all for your help.

Reactions: DBK

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I have the same problem had it over 6 months cant get rid of it, eventually changed email address and all passwords.
Its still happening but from my old email address I only know when someone contacts me to say its still going on.
Tried Malwarebytes and several others but nothing touched it.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Have you tried the Symantec online virus scanner.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
nomadic
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Yes changing my account was one thought I had, will wait and see if todays changes help.

Hymie, I've not heard of that one, will have a look, thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back