LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Guys my Dell Studio 1749 power button has gone tit$ up and I am thinking about getting it repaired, then it occurred to me that the repair guys could look through my PC and find stuff such as my online banking details, my e-mails etc, yes I know what your all thinking, very funny not...

Seriously, there is nothing illegal on the PC, but how do you protect the above from some spotty youth getting access to your passwords etc...

Thoughts, and helpful suggestions, please..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Guys my Dell Studio 1749 power button has gone tit$ up and I am thinking about getting it repaired, then it occurred to me that the repair guys could look through my PC and find stuff such as my online banking details, my e-mails etc, yes I know what your all thinking, very funny not...

Seriously, there is nothing illegal on the PC, but how do you protect the above from some spotty youth getting access to your passwords etc...

Thoughts, and helpful suggestions, please..
Buttons gone tits up......:cautious:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
D.I.Y. ........... cant be that hard if you can get a new switch.... can it... :Smile:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Depends on the computer but you can encrypt the whole of the hard disk. Always useful as it may be stolen as well.

Fairly easy for Apple MAC with Filevault and Windows 8 and 8.1 Pro with Microsoft Bitlocker. Too expensive really for Windows 7 as you need the Ultimate Edition. The Public Domain software TrueCrypt has had some issues of late, but there are some other options. I always used to use TrueCrypt but now I am not too sure what I would use now. I did upgrade to Windows Ultimate for my 7 machine. There us a useful comparison on Wikipedia.

Cheers

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
If its still under warranty by all means contact dell support.If you have the operating system working then make sure you have a secure log on,its only the power button needs the repair.If you need to leave it with a 3rd party repair company then remove the hard drive first.If you want to do it yourself,its not too difficult.But you have to first determine which part is faulty.
Here,s the manual and best of luck.
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Depends on the computer but you can encrypt the whole of the hard disk. Always useful as it may be stolen as well.

Fairly easy for Apple MAC with Filevault and Windows 8 and 8.1 Pro with Microsoft Bitlocker. Too expensive really for Windows 7 as you need the Ultimate Edition. The Public Domain software TrueCrypt has had some issues of late, but there are some other options. I always used to use TrueCrypt but now I am not too sure what I would use now. I did upgrade to Windows Ultimate for my 7 machine. There us a useful comparison on Wikipedia.

Cheers

Windows 7 so I may have to remove the hard drive...

If its still under warranty by all means contact dell support.If you have the operating system working then make sure you have a secure log on,its only the power button needs the repair.If you need to leave it with a 3rd party repair company then remove the hard drive first.If you want to do it yourself,its not too difficult.But you have to first determine which part is faulty.
Here,s the manual and best of luck.
Broken Link Removed

Thanks for that, no the laptop is about three years old and I suspect needs replacing....

Question is, Dell, HP, Lenovo?

Spec, 17" screen i7.

Suggestions?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Taking the hard drive should be quite easy. A couple of screws somewhere. There will be YouTube video on it.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If it's that important, remove the hard drive - a couple of plugs and maybe 4 screws will need removing and that's it. Not difficult. However, they don't need to boot the computer up fully to test whether the power switch is working anyway, so passwords shouldn't come into it.

Alternatively the power switch's essential bits won't be embedded deep within the casing so why not undo a few screws nearby and see if you can get to it to replace it yourself? If you buy a replacement yourself and arrange a visit to a repair shop in advance they could probably fit it while you wait.

The power switch on my workstation went recently and I attempted a repair but it failed, so I now have to hotwire it with a small screwdriver to start it up, until I can be arsed to fit the replacement switch I got off eBay.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Bypass it & glue something like this to the case :cooler:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you are still up north area Dave my mate Paul will give it a coat of looking at for you while you wait --he is back home sometime Thursday ---BARNSLEY/DONCASTER area
terry

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp