Computer Help (Remote Assistance) (1 Viewer)

onthebeach

Formerly 'Leggo'
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Spain
Funster No
Exp
5 yrs
HELP:Doh:

Can someone help me, I have an elderly mother back in England and I am trying use remote assistance through messenger. The problem is as I understand a few things have to be altered because windows XP which I have and windows Vista which she has have a few problems connecting to each other.

As I have never used Vista at all, it is difficult to tell someone over the phone what to do. If someone could give me a step by step and click by click instructions how to make her computer except remote assistance. Also my mother has a norton anti virus software, do you think this has to be altered in any way.

Really hope someone can help me because it is so hard to help someone over the phone. My mother does very well for her age, but now getting to the point it would be so nice rather to explain than for me just to do it for her.

onthebeach:thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I have successfully connected to an elderly aunt's machine, she was XP and I have vista, no problems (although I appreciate that this is the other way around to your set up).

The remote end has to initiate the connection. In vista, click on help and support. Under "Ask Someone" click on Windows remote assistance. Then click on invite someone to help you. Then basically follow the instructions. This uses e-mail not messenger, it sends an invite to you which you have to accept. You then have to ask to take control of the machine, the other end has to agree.

If you talk it through on the phone whilst doing it you should be OK.

There should be no need to change anti virus software but if there is a norton firewall this may need to be switched off.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
onthebeach

onthebeach

Formerly 'Leggo'
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Spain
Funster No
Exp
5 yrs
Hi Motorhomer

Thank you for reply, we have tried that I get a message that I am being asked I say accept but then we come to a stop. I know the security in Vista for allowing the connection has to be altered to a low level and the computer must be switched on somewhere to allow remote assistance. For me it is finding out where it is and the best way to get to it to be able to advise her as I cannot see her screen and do not know vista.

Hence the click by click so I can talk her through it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
I use a free program called 'LogMeIn' which is easily found via Google. You would probably need to download it and then email your mother a copy and then talk her through how to install. (Very easy). Make sure you make a note of her password, in case she forgets it.

I'm on XP and find connecting to my mother's Vista PC a doddle. First thing I did was right-click on the task bar (on her PC) and change the Vista 'Start' settings to Windows Classic, which will help you find your way around better if you're not familiar with Vista.

Paul

OP
OP
onthebeach

onthebeach

Formerly 'Leggo'
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Spain
Funster No
Exp
5 yrs
Hi Paul

Thanks for the information, did not realise you change to windows classic that will be a great help.

I shall download that software and give it a go.

Cheers

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
As I mentioned there could be an issue with the firewall. If your mother has installed norton av, then does this include a firewall? if so it needs to be switched off. (if it does include the norton firewall, then the vista one should be switched off as using 2 firewalls is not good!)

Vista and XP both have firewalls and the "host" machine - which was vista, may need this sorting too.

The following is a guide to that. - copied from the Vista help pages.

btw, if the suggestion to use "logmein" works, then fine, I have not tried that. But I would have thought that this would also hit the firewall issues if the firewall is on, so you would still need to turn it off.

Good luck!

"Allow Windows Remote Assistance to communicate through a firewall

Because firewalls can restrict communication between your computer and the Internet, you might need to change firewall settings in order to use Windows Remote Assistance.

Click to open Windows Firewall.

Click Allow a program through Windows Firewall. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Under Program or port, select the check box next to Remote Assistance, and then click OK.

Note
If you use a different firewall, follow the instructions that came with your firewall."

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Just a bit of further info:

Once you have LogMeIn on mother's PC, you'll probably find the program stays resident in the startup files on her PC, (bottom right hand side of the task bar). This means once you've connected the first time, she'll not need to do anything in the future, other than make sure the PC is switched on. You'll be able to pick up the phone, tell her you're just about to connect, (so she leaves the mouse alone), and then you can get straight in.

Everyone has their own favourite utilities, but the ones I swear by are:

Glary Utilities. Just Google it when you're logged in to her PC and download it. Excellent program (free) which will safely clean up the registry as well as clean out all the unnecessary temporary files that soon add up, taking lots of space. This program is a must have IMHO.

Malwarebytes. A program that searches out any spyware on your PC and eliminates it.

Other than the Windows updates, and possibly Java, Shockwave & Adobe Reader updates, there's not much more to do to keep everything running sweetly.

So much easier than trying to explain it over the phone. I've been there enough times! :Doh::Doh:
Cheers

Paul

OP
OP
onthebeach

onthebeach

Formerly 'Leggo'
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Spain
Funster No
Exp
5 yrs
Hi guys thanks for all your help - little update.

Managed to get connected for a while but then all of a sudden loss connection.

When trying to reconnect I get the message attempting to connect but then it said after a while that there is a problem, but does not say what it is.:cry:

I cannot understand it, sometimes it connects and sometimes it does not. I suppose that is computers for you.:Doh:

She was really surprised to see how it all worked. (When I got her to leave the mouse alone that was).

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Is one of you using wifi or do you both have broadband?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We connect to customers either by VPN Access to their servers or using Netviewer....

I used to use LOGMEIN at my previous employer....

Don't know what I'd do without it now.

Even managed to Totally build a PC for my Dad remotely.....Well He is 185 miles away....

Firewalls can be a real pain sometimes in blocking apps / ports...

OP
OP
onthebeach

onthebeach

Formerly 'Leggo'
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Spain
Funster No
Exp
5 yrs
Hi Sedge,

Thanks for the reply, my computer is connected via a wireless router. Although I don't think this is causing the problem because I can connect to another laptop here which both have wifi connection, although they are running XP.

Hi American Dream

My mother and I downloaded logmein but still have the same problem, for some reason we could not get this to work.

I have been told that on vista there are two things that have to be ticked. One is allow remote assistance and the other is less secure. Having spoken to my mother she can see allow remote assistance which has been ticked, but there does not appear a box to tick that said less secure. As I do not know vista can anyone tell me if this box less secure actual appears. :Doh:

I turned the firewall off for a couple of minutes just to try, although no change.

Thanks again

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Sedge,

Thanks for the reply, my computer is connected via a wireless router. Although I don't think this is causing the problem because I can connect to another laptop here which both have wifi connection, although they are running XP.

Hi American Dream

My mother and I downloaded logmein but still have the same problem, for some reason we could not get this to work.

I have been told that on vista there are two things that have to be ticked. One is allow remote assistance and the other is less secure. Having spoken to my mother she can see allow remote assistance which has been ticked, but there does not appear a box to tick that said less secure. As I do not know vista can anyone tell me if this box less secure actual appears. :Doh:

I turned the firewall off for a couple of minutes just to try, although no change.

Thanks again

Hi.

Have you tried the "install as administrator" option or turning off UAC?

Steve.

braintiller

Free Member
Mar 26, 2010
Funster No
Hi! I am using RHUB's TurboMeeting appliance to interact with my mother who lives in India and I am in California. Till now I didn't face any such problems while using this appliance. So, I would like to recommend this appliance to you. Just have a try. They offer free trials.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back