Computer help please (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Computer help please.....I am in the process of clearing a friends laptop of some scareware. I understand the process but am having difficulty getting the rescue boot disc to run.
His problem is that his screen has been locked with a picture. Normally can start in safe mode and do the business but this bugger wont let you start in safe mode it just blue screens. So.....I have downloaded a Kaspersky rescue boot disc to cd but just putting it in the drive doesn’t auto run the disc.
A couple of bits of info would be handy. 1. can I check that the disc is downloaded properly and 2. how do I load this disc onto his computer. Any help would be useful thanks.:cry:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You may have to press f2 or f8 or delete as you try to boot to gain entry to the bios to enable boot from CD/DVD drive first and not hard drive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
One other point I downloaded the cd in windows 7 and the recipient laptop has Vista but I think the rescue disc runs Lynux so hope it wont be a problem. I still have my "L" plates on I'm afraid.:Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a linux disc will boot from the dvd drive provided you set the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the dvd drive first. the windows version on the machine is pretty irrelevant as it loads its boot sector from the dvd

dependent on which bios manufacturer you have, it could be esc, del, f1 or f2 to enter bios just as the computer starts up. then scroll through settings find and change the boot order. or on some systems f12 will give you a boot drive menu

once you have control of the system back try installing malwarebytes to remove all the spyware and malware from the system

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
a linux disc will boot from the dvd drive provided you set the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the dvd drive first. the windows version on the machine is pretty irrelevant as it loads its boot sector from the dvd
dependent on which bios manufacturer you have, it could be esc, del, f1 or f2 to enter bios just as the computer starts up. then scroll through settings find and change the boot order. or on some systems f12 will give you a boot drive menu
once you have control of the system back try installing malwarebytes to remove all the spyware and malware from the system
Thanks TB1 that is helpful I will have a practice before I go around to him on Saturday.
The download also gave me an option of loading it to a usb mem stick. Would I have to follow the same for uploading from that.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
not all BIOS versions allow booting from usb, however if they do its the same procedure to change boot order. if you do use a thumbdrive, remember to change the boot order back to hard disc when youre finished. its possible to kill a system with an infected usb drive as there is a virus doing the rounds that wipes the BIOS as it boots up if you leave it in a usb slot. they make use of a facility to update the BIOS from usb, which was a good idea till some pillock wrote the virus

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thanks for the help, I found that F12 was the key to enter Bios then it was all plain sailing, the Kaspersky boot disc worker a treat. His laptop is now maleware and scareware free and ready for his next dodgy site encounter.:Doh:
This particular scareware can be a real pain, it locks out you screen with a graffic of a police authority and stops any entry even in safe mode. It displays your name and address and starts your web cam filming your every move demanding a ransom and making threats if you don't pay. To add insult to injury you get some Asian sounding gentleman phoning you on your home phone each day telling you your computer has been locked and you must pay or suffer the consequences.
Thanks again:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back