Computer help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
I'd not touch Office at this point, as there isn't really much pointing to Office.

If Windows Explorer is crashing whilst simply browsing your "my documents" folder, Office doesn't execute or do anything at this point. It is possible there is a dodgy hook in Explorer; or corrupt Icon cache; or something even more iffy going on.

You need to do some other checks before you remove software to get to the bottom of this. What files are you trying to open? Does it crash with simple text files? Does it crash if looking at files in other folders?

Also, Office does have an inbuilt "repair" facility, so if it is simply causing issues with Office documents (TBD) then try repairing office. If it is just file assoication you can simply repair that (e.g. start-->Run and type "winword /r" or "winword /regserver" without the quotes). But without a good feel as to the real issue we're chasing ghosts at the moment!

Last edited:

RonnieJ

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Computer help please!!!!!!!!!!!

I see there are no further posts and wondered if you have solved it. You must be getting pretty confused now with all the advise. Hope you have solved it and if so would really like to hear what was causing the problem.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Ronnie,
Sad to say I have not solved the problem; thanks to a suggestion given on an earlier thread I installed Openoffice and consequently I have gone around the problem, it does not affect this programme.
However when I try Documents the monster is still there; I think I shall have to get someone in to fix it but at present have too many other pressing matters, so it will ahve to wait.
When I finally get the problem resolved I will update the thread and let everyone know as it seems to be quite a common fault. Thanks for your help and interest.

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
I am having problems accessing "My Documents" Every time I click it opens the page but as soon as I scroll down and click on a file - Windows explorer is closing down. Despite googling the problem I can find no solutions to the. Can anyone help please?

Norman

your problem is that windows is corrupted, ie the windows files.

you have a few options

im sure you will want to avoid option one...format the drive and start again

got to start / computer and do a search for your ducuments - usually *.doc assuming you use windows. then save them to a memory stick.
its also possible that windows is so messed up you cant do that, so try running in safe mode - (f8 on bootup anc choose safe mode) safe mode loads up only basic progs so might let you get at them - then copy them to something.
The bottom line is you are going to need to ultimately wipe the drive, once explorer goes wrong there is never a proper solution short of a fresh install of windows. Of course if you are one of those people who bought a preinstalled pc with no disk its going to get expensive now as you need a copy of windows as well - good luck

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I had a similar issue, all the permissions for a number of files had changed and I could not recover. I backed up all my files and then re-installed windows, now its as fast as lightening and I have all my files.

I do use a Home server which makes recovery easy.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
your problem is that windows is corrupted, ie the windows files.

you have a few options

im sure you will want to avoid option one...format the drive and start again

got to start / computer and do a search for your ducuments - usually *.doc assuming you use windows. then save them to a memory stick.
its also possible that windows is so messed up you cant do that, so try running in safe mode - (f8 on bootup anc choose safe mode) safe mode loads up only basic progs so might let you get at them - then copy them to something.
The bottom line is you are going to need to ultimately wipe the drive, once explorer goes wrong there is never a proper solution short of a fresh install of windows. Of course if you are one of those people who bought a preinstalled pc with no disk its going to get expensive now as you need a copy of windows as well - good luck

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Each to their own! :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back