Computer for an 11 year olds School Study? (1 Viewer)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
My 2 teenage grandkids (13+15) both have chrome books. Had them almost 2 years. Do the job for them but they do need a WiFi connection.
I know they HP but unsure on the model.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Does the school recommend anything or list what programs are needed? If there is anything out of the ordinary required it may not run on a Chromebook. However, it will run Google Docs and that can save and open Word and Excel files.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Argos have a laptop for £300 if you can stretch the budget.

Broken Link Removed

You could also check out reconditioned Dell laptops which the company sells.

If you can find them there may be special offers for students

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Any suggestions please ?

Need a good but reasonable priced laptop. For high school learning.

I am just double choking deals on amazon now.

Chrome book!
TBH.......I'd get a laptop running a system that I was familiar with or we'd all be learning/struggling (but probably not for long as I'd soon been overtaken by any 11 year old).

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
I did a quick search for you on laptopsdirect. I've bought several laptops from them over the years and so feel happy to recommend them. There's a few on there that seem pretty good to me, Lenovo, Asus and HP are all big brands with a solid reputation. Broken Link Removed is the link.
As others have said, personally I wouldn't go down the chromebook route. I'm not saying they aren't good, but for the use-case you describe it is probably better to get something the teachers will be familiar with - and that means windows 10 to be honest.
Be aware that the ones that come up on that search have tiny hard drives, so you would probably also want a USB external hard drive for them to use as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
We purchased for my son (school use teams) a Asus X412F refurbished with upgraded storage 240GB M.2SSD from Laptop station for £388
12 month warranty.
Around £600 new.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I did a quick search for you on laptopsdirect. I've bought several laptops from them over the years and so feel happy to recommend them. There's a few on there that seem pretty good to me, Lenovo, Asus and HP are all big brands with a solid reputation. Broken Link Removed is the link.
As others have said, personally I wouldn't go down the chromebook route. I'm not saying they aren't good, but for the use-case you describe it is probably better to get something the teachers will be familiar with - and that means windows 10 to be honest.
Be aware that the ones that come up on that search have tiny hard drives, so you would probably also want a USB external hard drive for them to use as well.
More and more schools are using Chrome books... Cheaper to manage, buy, use etc and do most of the things kids need to do. My classes used both Chrome and Windows OS but the rest of the school uses just Chrome.

I bought my youngest a Chrome book just as lockdown started and there aren't many things that he can't do compared to using a Windows machine.

I think that I'd rather have a decent Chrome book rather than a basic laptop but for my use, a decent laptop would be preferable.

It really depends on what the user is expecting to do on the device.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back