compulsive tinkering ....am I alone (1 Viewer)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I'm a compulsive tinkerer , i can't remember a time when I wasn't ...i spend a silly amount of time tinkering with the motorhome and just wondered if others were the same ....my neighbours must wonder what I'm doing half the time but im always messing with it ......yet I've still a list of things to do on it

I don't think I could ever buy a new one I'd have nothing to do.

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I'm a compulsive tinkerer , i can't remember a time when I wasn't ...i spend a silly amount of time tinkering with the motorhome and just wondered if others were the same ....my neighbours must wonder what I'm doing half the time but im always messing with it ......yet I've still a list of things to do on it

I don't think I could ever buy a new one I'd have nothing to do.

You could buy a new one from S****, you'd have plenty to do on it then :rolleyes:

I'll get me coat :imoutahere:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ditto, I go into depression when iv finished one thing until I can find something else to mess with, my last thing iv put smoke and co2 alarms front and back now just because I saw some going cheap(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Always had old motors so never worried me to make holes here and there for whatever the latest thing is but when we first had this new to us last van I was a bit wary to make any changes to it , but once I got going it's back to old ways now , a shelf here , inverter there , another battery , alarms , mats even revamped the shower cubical , come to the conclusion now we are never going to swop this van, so can't hurt it's resale value whatever I do(y)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I'm the same, but with Udo in storage a lot of the time my tinkering is restricted to when he's out and we're using him. Or just before a trip when he's at home.

The last trip saw three new LED strip lights installed, PunctureSafe put in 4 tyres (the rear inners need the outers out of the way and we weren't equipped for that at our last campsite...) and another coat of wax on the paintwork.

I find that these little improvements are worthwhile but also keep the fires of enthusiasm alive. I was the same with my Defender years ago.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Great if you can manage to tinker . I would love to except I know so little I have to rely on others to do it for me.
A Scottish motorhome learning workshop would be great for me. :)

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
I'm the same, always doing something, even when nothing really needs doing, must be the way we are wired up
A mate of mine will buy a car, motorhome etc, and never touch it

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I just can't lose the modifying streak lol

In the last few months I've removed all the windows and tinted them, removed the old faded decals and replaced them, new rear shocks and airbag suspension, removed and resealed all roof vents ,fitted f1 style removeable steering wheel, fitted scooter rack , fitted boxes in the garage for carrying all accessories , it's being reupholstered next week, im now in the process of colour coding all the vents :p and I missed a set of alloy wheels on ebay last night ... have to say though it's looking good

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I just can't lose the modifying streak lol

In the last few months I've removed all the windows and tinted them, removed the old faded decals and replaced them, new rear shocks and airbag suspension, removed and resealed all roof vents ,fitted f1 style removeable steering wheel, fitted scooter rack , fitted boxes in the garage for carrying all accessories , it's being reupholstered next week, im now in the process of colour coding all the vents :p and I missed a set of alloy wheels on ebay last night ... have to say though it's looking good

How do you tint windows please? I'd love to have our tinted.

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
How do you tint windows please? I'd love to have our tinted.
It's quite easy depending on your windows the inside of mine are completely flat so easy to do

I just removed them from the van bought the film from eBay ..6mtr roll for £10
And it's applied using soapy water

It took me about 2 hours to do all 6 of mine but that said I've done them on cars quite a few times

If your fairly good at diy you'll manage it otherwise there's many companies out there who will do it for you

Here's a before and after shot of mine
14074833168030.jpg
14081046796020.jpg

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
When I'm thinking of what else to do I give her a polish, can you over polish ?? Does talking to her count towards being taken away in a straight jacket ?? :whistle:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
It's quite easy depending on your windows the inside of mine are completely flat so easy to do

I just removed them from the van bought the film from eBay ..6mtr roll for £10
And it's applied using soapy water

It took me about 2 hours to do all 6 of mine but that said I've done them on cars quite a few times

If your fairly good at diy you'll manage it otherwise there's many companies out there who will do it for you

Here's a before and after shot of mine View attachment 39223 View attachment 39224

That's interesting as I thought it would only stick to glass and not plastic as our windows are plastic.
Tried the link but it only brings me to the front page of ebay. What do you search for please?
I have done it on our French windows on a previous house we had but they were glass.

Last edited:

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
OH its Wonder full to know im not alone, I can "Come out" at last and not be Ostricaled, :)

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
That's interesting as I thought it would only stick to glass and not plastic as our windows are plastic.
Tried the link but it only brings me to the front page of ebay. What do you search for please?
I have done it on our French windows on a previous house we had but they were glass.
No it sticks to plastic too :)

Just search for window tinting film

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Tinted windows can make your van dark inside. You'll switch on your lights earlier which is bad for battery life.
You will also miss some lovely sunsets.
I also think tinted windows are antisocial from a point of portraying an aggressive image.
If your other vehicle is a gangsta/footballer Range Rover Sport I can see the appeal.
They can make your van look smart. We'd never have them again though, more downsides than upsides I'm afraid.

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Tinted windows can make your van dark inside. You'll switch on your lights earlier which is bad for battery life.
You will also miss some lovely sunsets.
I also think tinted windows are antisocial from a point of portraying an aggressive image.
If your other vehicle is a gangsta/footballer Range Rover Sport I can see the appeal.
They can make your van look smart. We'd never have them again though, more downsides than upsides I'm afraid.
Hasn't made mine darker nor have I missed any sunsets .....looking out from inside there's little difference

What it does do is add security because no one can see in so theifs don't know if your in or out , it also reduces fading on your upholstery , it cuts down heat inside the van which we were grateful for in france it also stops nosey folk watching your every move which are the only people who think it's anti social :)

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Luv what you've done to the van - looks pretty :cool: cant tint ours as they were tinted from new :D

Yeah I've seen a few factory tinted ones that's why I though I'd do it initially :)

Anything that modernises it and for not a lot of money

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We had Seitz privacy windows in our last van.
You couldnt see in at all unless the lights were on inside.
Once the light dropped, you couldn't see out either!
We love our clear windows. If we want privacy, we draw the voiles.
The close proximity of other vans on aires is the reason continental manufacturers fit voiles in their vans.
It sounds as if your tint isn't as severe as ours was!

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
We had Seitz privacy windows in our last van.
You couldnt see in at all unless the lights were on inside.
Once the light dropped, you couldn't see out either!
We love our clear windows. If we want privacy, we draw the voiles.
The close proximity of other vans on aires is the reason continental manufacturers fit voiles in their vans.
It sounds as if your tint isn't as severe as ours was!
Yeah it's seitz windows I have ....I've tinted them dark smoke and likewise you can't see in unless the lights are on ....but I can see out them no probs

I have voil curtains too but the problem with them is once closed you can't see out very well either so with the windows I can see out ...but out can't see in
Win win in my book

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back