compulsive tinkering ....am I alone (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
All I can say for sure is that when we get our moho oh will be out there tinkering - difference being is that it'll be on the drive, not in storage how our caravan is.

The caravan was kept on the drive at our old house - he was always pottering and tinkering, we even used to sit and have a cuppa - is that really sad?

He can't wait - all that stuff to do:)

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
All I can say for sure is that when we get our moho oh will be out there tinkering - difference being is that it'll be on the drive, not in storage how our caravan is.

The caravan was kept on the drive at our old house - he was always pottering and tinkering, we even used to sit and have a cuppa - is that really sad?

Wouldn't say it was sad ............cause I've totally never done that before :whistle::whistle:
:)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Tinkering ??? Not really..............improving, for certain. Even with a brand new MH I find stuff which can be improved. But I am very careful not to leave marks or holes which would detract from a resale value. Which is why I bought new. If I'd bought secondhand it would be in bits more than it would be on the road !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
When I'm thinking of what else to do I give her a polish, can you over polish ?? Does talking to her count towards being taken away in a straight jacket ?? :whistle:
Yes, I do that with the wife. You can over polish your wife, easily done if using an orbital polisher, the wrinkles come off quicker. Forget talking to her, that will get you sectioned very quickly. :)(y)(y)

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Pleading guilty me lud.

I Was reading this earlier and then the letter box rattled and an Amazon parcel dropped on to the mat. It's a set of led lamps for the van ordered over the weekend, so off I go and spend a few hours in the van doing the lights and stuff. Another afternoon not doing what was planned...very pleasant!,

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
New to me 2005 Hymer last October. Since then:

All LED interior lights
Stainless plate made to cover multiple holes left by faulty reverse cam
New cam fitted
TV / Sat wiring to somewhere more useful
Fill pump inlet
Table split & hinged
Cab radio connected to leisure battery
Wiring to pump replaced with heavier gauge
New awning light
Mains socket re-positioned + one extra
Cab radio replaced with DAB
Aerial modified to suit
Permanent supply for satnag
3rd leisure Battery added
3 solar panels + MPPT regulator
Passenger electric window supply now always on
Heater combustion air fan replaced

Next:

LED DRLs to fit to redundant foglight holes on front skirt
Trailer lights to convert to LED
New monitor to fit for reverse cam
Front cam to install

.................. much more as I think of it.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Pleading guilty me lud.

I Was reading this earlier and then the letter box rattled and an Amazon parcel dropped on to the mat. It's a set of led lamps for the van ordered over the weekend, so off I go and spend a few hours in the van doing the lights and stuff. Another afternoon not doing what was planned...very pleasant!,
Led lamps?? Bit heavy?? :(;)

Apr 30, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 2012
I am a tinkering addict, there you go I have admitted it
I have a classic car in the garage which usually satisfies my needs when I need a tinkering fix, so when I bought a new motorhome this year I thought I won't touch this - WRONG!!
I have taken things out and added even more things, just cant help it.
Is there a motor home Priory we can sign into.

By the way Tambo, love the tints

OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Tinkering ??? Not really..............improving, for certain. Even with a brand new MH I find stuff which can be improved. But I am very careful not to leave marks or holes which would detract from a resale value. Which is why I bought new. If I'd bought secondhand it would be in bits more than it would be on the road !!
Yep im the same I don't do anything that either doesn't look original or can easily be removed .......
I am a tinkering addict, there you go I have admitted it
I have a classic car in the garage which usually satisfies my needs when I need a tinkering fix, so when I bought a new motorhome this year I thought I won't touch this - WRONG!!
I have taken things out and added even more things, just cant help it.
Is there a motor home Priory we can sign into.

By the way Tambo, love the tints

As for classic cars ....I've a 1989 lotus esprit in the garage that needs more than a tinkering ........its been there 6 years il get round to it eventually :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Tinkering should be my middle name ... I said TINKERING, not anything else which SOUNDS like that! :D

We've had our Accent for 2 years this month and I'm still tinkering! In fact today I've been doing my 'mark 2' version of the dog gate as the original 'temporary' one installed nearly 2 years ago decided it had had enough on our last holiday, finally giving up the ghost so wouldn't stay put. I've revised how it is attached and expect it to last even longer ... (y). I've also sorted out a few other bits and pieces and still have some others to do when we get back from our next holiday ... nuisance isn't it, having to stop tinkering in order to actually USE it!!!! :LOL:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yep im the same I don't do anything that either doesn't look original or can easily be removed .......

Me too. I've spent too much time removing POs bodges over the years. If it looks like an addition you've got it wrong. And I like the tints too. (y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My wife's tool kit has some interesting items. A screwdriver that resembles a table knife...:Eeek:, a hammer that resembles a meat tenderiser, and a pair of pliers that look strangely like nutcrackers.......

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Only have to hear, "looks good for its age" ego fed, on goes another coat of wax. Trouble is gross weight soon to be a problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
My best ego boost was a recent trip to Perth shire caravans where a guy in the car park thought my van was a 12 plate :)
The first part of reg is W512. And he thought it was WS12.

I was chuffed at that

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
New to me 2005 Hymer last October. Since then:

Permanent supply for satnag

Next:

LED DRLs to fit to redundant foglight holes on front skirt

I thought I was done. But a permanent supply to the sat Nav is good idea. Where did you route the wiring?

Fog/Daylight Running - I'm in two minds. I'm toying with getting these replacement front quarter panels instead...
Broken Link Removed

But my car is in for some major surgery at present so I may have to wait

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Only have to hear, "looks good for its age" ego fed, on goes another coat of wax. Trouble is gross weight soon to be a problem.
Perhaps you should stop applying so much wax then! :LOL:

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Tinkering used to be a necessity and then I bought a Hymer, tinker no more ;)
Previous m/h manufacturer begins with S and ends with T, just realised that could mean something else :D

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

No!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back