compressor fridge recommendations. (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
This is for our PVC to be built next June which I have designed.

Its going to be a big fridge, which would you go for, the heating is Truma gas so I am leaning towards compressor, if it was diesel heating then there is a lot of overall draw on the batteries.

No holes in side of van, anybody got any links to good compressor fridge, one with the large freezer, seen them in the latest Globecars.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I've not managed to see the latest Globecars so not sure what compressor fridge they are currently fitting.

The freezer on this one looks big although the specs state 6.5l, I suspect that it is because it is fairly shallow.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Thankyou for that, any recommendations for low power ones or do they essentially all use the same?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
This ones bigger with a slightly lower energy consumption.

http://leisurelines.net/waeco-crx140-136l-compressor-fridge-1784-p.asp

I've been looking at them lately to decide if we would be able to cope with a compressor instead of an absorption one when we change van as although we would have a solar panel we do most of our trips out of season and off grid.

Not that I'll be doing a self build (though I would love to), it's just that a lot of the PVCs seem to come with a compressor one now and it would open more choices of van for us.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
This ones bigger with a slightly lower energy consumption.

http://leisurelines.net/waeco-crx140-136l-compressor-fridge-1784-p.asp

I've been looking at them lately to decide if we would be able to cope with a compressor instead of an absorption one when we change van as although we would have a solar panel we do most of our trips out of season and off grid.

Not that I'll be doing a self build (though I would love to), it's just that a lot of the PVCs seem to come with a compressor one now and it would open more choices of van for us.

Yes we like to camp in winter too in this country, that's also the issue, same as you. Do like they work better on a slope, in extremes of temperature, no holes in van, more efficient, its just the power, noise shouldn't be an issue as the fridge is at the front and the rear u shaped lounge will be partitioned off.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
im not sure where this idea that they dont need vents if its remnoving heat from the fridge for it to work properly its has to disapate that heat

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
im not sure where this idea that they dont need vents if its remnoving heat from the fridge for it to work properly its has to disapate that heat

I thought the vans with compressor fridges didn't have holes in the side of the van, are they vented somewhere else then?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The cooling circuit of a 3 way absorption fridge is driven by heat, usually about 125 watts of it. Whereas the cooling circuit of a compressor fridge is driven by an electric motor typically 35 watts. So with a compressor fridge there's a lot less heat to get rid of, and they are much more efficient (y)

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I have a Vitrifrigo which works fine. Venting wise, I have about 120mm "air in" at the bottom of the fridge, and a similar size air gap at the top to release the heat. Both internal ("out" vent just goes into wardrobe)

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I have found the ones which @Gromett linked to that use less than 1amp, Shoreline 12/24 range, what do you think of those anyone, power wise, have anybody used a Shoreline, are they a good make, reliable etc.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I have found the ones which @Gromett linked to that use less than 1amp, Shoreline 12/24 range, what do you think of those anyone, power wise, have anybody used a Shoreline, are they a good make, reliable etc.
1 amp? That's very good even for a compressor fridge. Our compressor coolbox runs at 2 amps in cool weather or 3 amps in Spain.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We went for the 12v Vitrifrigo . No holes in the van .
No freezer though.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Just looked them up, the 0.7 amp figure quoted is average amp hours used not the run amps so it will be less.
Our coolbox is the Mobicool FR40

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Have a look at the Thetford T1090 Compressor Fridge. Seen it today at the show, made to fit panel vans high eye level.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Have a look at the Thetford T1090 Compressor Fridge. Seen it today at the show, made to fit panel vans high eye level.

Good idea if standing on a work surface, although I have found most things Thetford and Fiamma to be avoided as a rule. Just me I think.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can understand you thinking about a gas Truma and compressor fridge to minimise demand on the batteries, but if you went for diesel heating/water as well as a compressor fridge you could add an extra battery and would then only need a small gas locker as your gas usage would be minimal, unless of course you are going for an underslung tank in which case gas locker size wouldn't be an issue.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This the new Thetford T1090 fridge which makes the best use of the space in a camper van. Mounting it at eye level will make it much, much more user friendly as you be able to actually see what's in it without getting a crick in your neck! We have a 3-way mounted this way in our camper and it's much nicer to use.

https://www.thetford-europe.com/product/t1090/

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I can understand you thinking about a gas Truma and compressor fridge to minimise demand on the batteries, but if you went for diesel heating/water as well as a compressor fridge you could add an extra battery and would then only need a small gas locker as your gas usage would be minimal, unless of course you are going for an underslung tank in which case gas locker size wouldn't be an issue.

Yes its an underslung tank but the biggest they can get in is 30 litres they said although I have questioned this. They have always fitted the Truma heating so have no experience of diesel ones.
I have heard good reports of the Webasto, we would not have an eberspacher again due to the cycling and huge amount of power it consumed.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We now have a 90L Vitrifrigo, with a small freezer compartment. It is signficantly noisier than our previous Waeco compressor fridge.

The top loading Waeco fridge was so quiet it could be left running all night without disturbing my sleep. I turn the Vitrifrigo one off when we go to bed.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We now have a 90L Vitrifrigo, with a small freezer compartment. It is signficantly noisier than our previous Waeco compressor fridge.

The top loading Waeco fridge was so quiet it could be left running all night without disturbing my sleep. I turn the Vitrifrigo one off when we go to bed.

Thankyou, those are the sort of comparisons I am looking for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back