Compressor fridge or replace dead 3-way? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
O

oldieish

Free Member
Feb 13, 2012
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 7100i
Exp
Since 2012
Still playing with the fridge hoping to resurrect (or revive).

Is this what may be called a "good flame"?

1631383458707.png

The flue gets hot also the finned pipework at the top of the unit:

1631383584051.png

The bottom of the tubular arrangement and the horizontal cylinder running down the back also felt rather warm.

1631383760225.png

I had hoped to run the fridge all day from about 11:00 a.m. However, when I returned around 4:30-ish the gas had gone-out at some time and the red flashing light of doom was doing its thing. Why might that happen there's plenty of gas in the cylinders. It re-ignited immediately and the heating described occurred during the hour or so I was at the van. Foolishly I had left the fridge thermometer at home.

Do I have good reason for optimism?

OP
OP
O

oldieish

Free Member
Feb 13, 2012
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 7100i
Exp
Since 2012
If the fridge works on other power sources I would stick with it and get it serviced
I'm moderately encouraged by the results so far. Unfortunately the van is in storage at present without EHU. My driveway has a modest slope which would be along the length of the van. Does the fridge need to be level ≥3° on 240v as well as gas for happy refridgeration?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My fridge, running on gas, started to defrost. I removed the bottom vent and could see I had a blue flame a bit like yours. The thing I noticed though was that it was burning quietly. I took the burner off and cleaned the jet and when I relit it, it had that distinctive "roar" to the flame that you can hear from outside and the flame was half as tall again.
The fact that yours starts then stops on both gas and 12 volt makes me think it's more likely something else, which would suggest the pcb ?

OP
OP
O

oldieish

Free Member
Feb 13, 2012
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 7100i
Exp
Since 2012
My fridge, running on gas, started to defrost. I removed the bottom vent and could see I had a blue flame a bit like yours. The thing I noticed though was that it was burning quietly. I took the burner off and cleaned the jet and when I relit it, it had that distinctive "roar" to the flame that you can hear from outside and the flame was half as tall again.
The fact that yours starts then stops on both gas and 12 volt makes me think it's more likely something else, which would suggest the pcb ?
It does burn more quietly than I expected. Is it a straight-forward job to remove the burner? Hope it's not the pcb, they are now on the unobtanium lists.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
It does burn more quietly than I expected. Is it a straight-forward job to remove the burner? Hope it's not the pcb, they are now on the unobtanium lists.
Not familiar with that particular model, but my Dometic has a burner which pulls off after removing a small self tapping screw which then gives you access to the jet which is just a thin disc with a tiny metering hole in it.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
On our last van we had problems with the 3 way on gas, it had a roaring flame and looked ok, but was not cooling as it should have.
After prodding/poking/chimney sweeping and hitting with a stick, we called a Dometic engineer. He gave it a glance and said the burner is knackered - new burner. The giveaway for him was corrosion on the outside of the burner box. Telling us, if there's corrosion on the outside, it will also be on the inside. Once changed it worked like new!

Having said that, when we bought our old fixer-upper I immediately binned the existing 3 way (35 years old) and fit a 230v compressor fridge which we run from the inverter and have never regretted it!

OP
OP
O

oldieish

Free Member
Feb 13, 2012
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 7100i
Exp
Since 2012
Freezer compartment from approx 26°C to -12°C in around four-ish hours this afternoon on gas. Going to run it overnight, hopefully all will be well tomorrow. Next to try EHU when I can arrange a hook-up. Unless it doesn't need to be perfectly level on 240v, in which case I can plonk the van on my non-level driveway - and annoy my neighbours.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
On our last van we had problems with the 3 way on gas, it had a roaring flame and looked ok, but was not cooling as it should have.
After prodding/poking/chimney sweeping and hitting with a stick, we called a Dometic engineer. He gave it a glance and said the burner is knackered - new burner. The giveaway for him was corrosion on the outside of the burner box. Telling us, if there's corrosion on the outside, it will also be on the inside. Once changed it worked like new!

Having said that, when we bought our old fixer-upper I immediately binned the existing 3 way (35 years old) and fit a 230v compressor fridge which we run from the inverter and have never regretted it!
How long can you run the 240 fridge off grid for ?

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Indefinitely for most of the year. We have done several months at a time.
It's only a small under counter fridge but an efficient one.
We have a pair of 6v Trojan 105s that can be taken quite low, a couple of 100w solar panels (tiltable for oct-feb).
We have a Victron inverter with eco mode which 'sleeps' when there is no draw on it.

I have more solar to fit as overkill but if driving once a week, no problem.

OP
OP
O

oldieish

Free Member
Feb 13, 2012
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 7100i
Exp
Since 2012
Freezer compartment from approx 26°C to -12°C in around four-ish hours this afternoon on gas. Going to run it overnight, hopefully all will be well tomorrow. Next to try EHU when I can arrange a hook-up. Unless it doesn't need to be perfectly level on 240v, in which case I can plonk the van on my non-level driveway - and annoy my neighbours.
Bit of a curate's egg this here 'fridge. Cools quite rapidly on gas, but at an unknown time over-night the gas flow stopped. Flashing red light again. Re-ignited immediately and started to cool. Burner seems clean, flue doesn't dump soot when I give it a hearty "bash and wiggle". Perplexing.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
Dometic are now producing compressor fridge/freezers in like for like sizing of some of their 3 way absorption fridge/freezers, but much as I would like to
swap out our poor performing 3 way absorption unit for the compressor version, I rather feel that the over £2k asking price is extracting the urine.
Especialy as a normal household fridge/freezer only cost' £200-£400 !...even with the added 12/240v options, the current pricing is i think a lot More than taking the urine !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back