compressor fridge (coolbox type) or Ice Maker (1 Viewer)

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Hi.

Just booked next summer trip to Spain.

During this year in S Frence, the fridge struggled. I have fans in the vents and I run it on Gas etc but the simple fact is that Mrs Psawn and I drink far too much and the fridge just could not cope with warm cans of beer and bottles of wine being loaded into it :D

I had an electric coolbox with me that did about as good as you could expect a ThermoElectric £50 box could in the 34C heat located in the garage.

I want to ensure cold beer and wine throughout the 3 week trip so I was considering a compressor fridge that can sit in the garage. We rarely go without EHU and for short periods, we have a 1500W inverter with three batteries and 180W solar.

I looked at the options for the compressor fridge but this fridge Link Removed is too big.

I only have a space of 600x350 due to the bikes stored in there so nearly all compressor fridges are too big and I also have to allow space to open the door. I have concerns how good a standard compressor fridge would hold up to being transported around in a vehicle situated near the rear wheels.

There are options for compressor cool boxes such as Link Removed but jesus, they are expensive!

So I turn my thoughts to having something that can help within a resoable budget and that has cropped up an Ice Maker.

an Ice Maker such as could be used to produce enogh ice to keep the electric coolbox working better and also be used for a conventional cool boox to keep everything cool.

Has anyone experience of using this type of Ice Maker to keep drinks cool?

I really want to let the "Fridge be a Fridge" and not keep stocking up with beers and the compressor coolbox looks a solution but the cost is very high and I am not sure how good they really.

Any ideas and experiences for additional beer/wine cooling grealty appreciated.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Compressor coolboxes like the Waeco/Dometic CDF26 we've got are very good. We run ours at 4C and it keeps it at that whatever the ambient temperature.

We carry ours behind the passenger seat when travelling in our PVC and then move it between the seats when we stop. The book underneath is optional. :)

DSC_0433.JPG

DSC_0434.JPG

But yes, they are expensive but look for any sales, sometimes you will find someone selling them at a discount on Amazon. This might be a good time to look as it is the end of the season. :)

• Informative
Reactions: JJ
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We bought one to use as a freezer in Benidorm, it did struggle to get below -10 in the heat and it ran continuously. Would be ok as a fridge but for your purpose I would consider a Coleman xtreme passive cool box and just buy a supermarket bag of ice cubes as and when you want to stock it up, this is what we used in the car boot when we had the caravan. Very effective, the drinks cool quickly and are teeth cracking cold for 2 days ish per bag ❄️?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have an ice-maker similar to your link.
I basically use it at home, for ice cubes in drinks.
Once up and running it produces quite a lot of ice...
I've only once used it in the van, when on EHU...

Wildax Bar v2.jpg

The cubes are relatively small & hollow [due to the way they are produced]

If you have specific questions please ask away.

OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Thanks for the replies.

I'm certainly watching the prices on Amazon to see if they go down in the winter months.

My thought is to do what Richard and Ann suggest, just using the ice maker to produce said ice instead of trying to get it back from a Supermarket before it melts.

We have a few coolboxes so there would be zero cost there.

Langtoftlad
What model is your Ice Maker?

if you look at the video of the Ice Maker I linked to on Amazon, it has some automated paddle thing that looks like it won't last too long before it breaks. does yours have the same contraption?

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Compressor coolboxes like the Waeco/Dometic CDF26 we've got are very good. We run ours at 4C and it keeps it at that whatever the ambient temperature.

We carry ours behind the passenger seat when travelling in our PVC and then move it between the seats when we stop. The book underneath is optional. :)

View attachment 341187

View attachment 341188

But yes, they are expensive but look for any sales, sometimes you will find someone selling them at a discount on Amazon. This might be a good time to look as it is the end of the season. :)
Is it noisy at night?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Langtoftlad
What model is your Ice Maker?

if you look at the video of the Ice Maker I linked to on Amazon, it has some automated paddle thing that looks like it won't last too long before it breaks. does yours have the same contraption?
It's a " TecTake " but I think they're all pretty much the same regardless of the brand name.

Well maybe - I bought mine a few years ago, and nominally because it was 'German' [but assumed it would be manufactured in China] however, it's still going strong [don't use it continually] and the brand is still in existence!
https://www.tectake.co.uk/bathroom-home-technology/appliances/ice-makers
Cheaper from eBay
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=283134475588
[+10% off for the next 8h]

Yes I have a 'paddle'... it scoops the ice into the basket after cubes have formed.
Seems to be adequate for the job...
20191024_150207-800x450.jpg

You don't touch the paddle, only user action is to lift out ice basket when full, or to top up water.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is it noisy at night?
No, very quiet, like a domestic fridge. It sits beside our heads when we are sleeping. But I do sometimes turn it off at night to save electricity if not on EHU. It's even quieter then. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back