Compressor fridge any benefits? (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
As @Cal54 pointed out compressor fridges require no maintenance. No annual service which I understand the 3-way fridge is supposed to need. You 3-way fridge users do get it serviced, don't you, on top of the hab service?

If you add up the fridge service costs saved, after about 7 or 8 years the cost of a compressor fridge could well be amortised by the savings.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I have had our Waeco 70L compressor fridge in our Globecar running 24/7 non-stop since January with the van in the drive, not on H/U - only with Solar from a 150w panel and 2x95Ah leisure batteries - the fridge draws 8Ah overnight from my victron bmv700 battery monitor and the battery bank is fully recharged by early morning

Surely the solar wasn't replacing 8ah in January when you first left or running continuously.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
IMG_0366.PNG
Surely the solar wasn't replacing 8ah in January when you first left or running continuously.
I had a EHU point put in the driveway but I have not used it since I got the solar fitted in February
This is a screen shot of the battery draw this morning from overnight with the fridge and strikeback alarm running

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have had our Waeco 70L compressor fridge in our Globecar running 24/7 non-stop since January with the van in the drive, not on H/U - only with Solar from a 150w panel and 2x95Ah leisure batteries - the fridge draws 8Ah overnight from my victron bmv700 battery monitor and the battery bank is fully recharged by early morning
Why? Do you really need to have it running all the time?

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
i should say that my power draw is with the fridge set on “4” out of “7” - which is plenty cold enough for us - the fridge seems to draw about 3A when the compressor is running - but at 4/7, the compressor is not running that often - maybe 15% of the time - so no current draw when the fridge compressor is not running.
if the fridge was running at 7/7, the fridge compressor would be running for longer and the fridge would be colder (perhaps too cold tbh) but it would draw more current - worst case i guess would be the fridge compressor running 100%, therefore 3Ah - but more likely it would win at something like 50% of the time, so draw 1.5Ah... but at 4/7, i guess it is drawing something like 0.8Ah

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
It looks good in reading up your posts but my experience is not good. To cut a long story short. The dealer put a compressor fridge under my bed. It kept me awake by coming on And shutting off a lot. Couldn't use it off hookup as we didn't then have a solar panel. Bad advice by the dealer. Had them take it out again. Messed up the van doing it. I wouldn't choose a compressor fridge because of that.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Many thanks.

Well that van is out of the question then after your reply, gas 3 way one for us.

What a ridiculous fridge invention then. The thing is, the van in question has gas heating so you need gas bottles anyway and the fridge hardly uses any. So its gas heating and a gas fridge for us.
They were really designed for small boats that traditionally don't have gas on board

having holes in the bottom of the boat to let the gas out is troublesome lol

roger7

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
I have replaced my 3way fridge with a Waeco 110 litre compressor fridge.
On the Auto Sleeper van conversion the fridge vents are obstructed by the side sliding door when open on warm and hot days. (Poor design really).
A recent trip to the med in June with an an average day time temperature of 26degC proved the absorbtion fridge is not efficient at these modest temperatures. ie the ice cream in the freezer went soft.
I had fitted the usual twin fan add on to help with the heat build up but with the vents obstructed it was a no win situation.
No problems so far this year!!
2 x 110 amp/hr batteries, 100 watt solar panel and B2B charger are coping with the power consumption and the ice cream is hard

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I have replaced my 3way fridge with a Waeco 110 litre compressor fridge.
On the Auto Sleeper van conversion the fridge vents are obstructed by the side sliding door when open on warm and hot days. (Poor design really).
A recent trip to the med in June with an an average day time temperature of 26degC proved the absorbtion fridge is not efficient at these modest temperatures. ie the ice cream in the freezer went soft.
I had fitted the usual twin fan add on to help with the heat build up but with the vents obstructed it was a no win situation.
No problems so far this year!!
2 x 110 amp/hr batteries, 100 watt solar panel and B2B charger are coping with the power consumption and the ice cream is hard
i can never understand a converter putting the fridge on the same side as the door.
most want the door in the sun . much better to have a fridge on the shade side of the van .
mind i still say lots solar inverter and 240v fridge is lovely.
i will admit years ago alot of vw campers had an easy cool cooler. worked by putting a cup or so of water in the top of the cooler . the water evaporated causing the cooler to be cool. they werent refrigerators but worked a treat to keep food ,milk ok.
it nice having icecream in the sahara but the easy cool certainly kept food ok when i used them in africa .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why? Do you really need to have it running all the time?

because i can?
it means it is always at temp for an impromptu get away - i don’t have to pre chill it.
I understand that you 'can' but what I really don't totally understand is that you are running it all the time for the odd occasion when you may want to get away quickly ... surely this will reduce the life of the fridge itself? It also means your solar control unit/charger etc are on too I assume? These things do have a finite life so whilst it's nice to be able to just jump in and go it could prove to be an expensive 'benefit' in the long term.

Just my thoughts on it though, do as you see fit for your own needs.(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So why isn't there a need for an external vent on a compressor fridge ? Where is all the waste heat going ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
So why isn't there a need for an external vent on a compressor fridge ? Where is all the waste heat going ?
i blocked mine up when i fitted the compressor fridge . saves drafts in high winds . it works like your house. mine is a house fridge . the heat does come into the vehicle . but with the fridge on the side opposite the door in the shade works a treat. in truth cant say i notice the heat. not like having a flame burning away behind the fridge .
you do need a bit of clearway around the compressor fridge just like in your house .

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I understand that you 'can' but what I really don't totally understand is that you are running it all the time for the odd occasion when you may want to get away quickly ... surely this will reduce the life of the fridge itself? It also means your solar control unit/charger etc are on too I assume? These things do have a finite life so whilst it's nice to be able to just jump in and go it could prove to be an expensive 'benefit' in the long term.

Just my thoughts on it though, do as you see fit for your own needs.(y)
how often do you turn off your household compressor fridge? I would assume never.... - it is simple, tried and tested, durable tech - and TBH, most kit struggles with start and stop switching, rather than persistent low level use.

re. your comment on "solar control unit / charger” - that is a bit odd TBH - the “wear and tear” on these units is unlikely to be significantly diminished by drawing and recharging 8Ah every 24Hrs, after all, that is what they are designed to do.

do you disconnect your "solar control unit/charger” whenever you leave your van? I suspect not, as i suspect the vast majority of MH users with a solar array do not either... after all..... that is the very purpose the "Solar controller / charger” is designed to do, which is to provide charge to the domestic batteries using the solar gain.

Are you suggesting i should disconnect my solar panel when i park my van up?.... really?

If you have papers that demonstrate the opposite... please share with me..
regards

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back