Compressor Fridge and Solar Power (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
And don't forget that with just a little planning, for much of the time you really don't need to run the fridge during the night.
Keep freezer blocks in the freezer and when you turn in for the night move the blocks into the fridge and turn the fridge off.
8+ ish hours of ah saving, every night.
Have always done this even with gas & works well (y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Has anyone got a van with the compressor fridge? how does it work in practice and how power hungry is it? - we will have a twin 95Ah leisure battery bank and will probably add 100-200w solar - the feedback i’ve had to date indicates this won’t help and the compressor fridges are unsuitable for off- grid camping due to their current draw - somewhere between 50-100A /24hr which is a bit of a blow.
icon_cry.gif
We've been looking at what solar panels are needed to support a 95l compressor fridge with freezer compartment (45 watts) & with 2 x 95ah batteries & one 100w panel it should be ok for 4-9 days without EHU depending on time of year & other usage. If driving during this time then figures obviously improve. If you or anyone wants to see the spreadsheet for this then just PM.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Our 65L Waeco fridge uses around 30 to 35 amps a day at most. We would be put off buying a van with a gas fridge installed.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We've been looking at what solar panels are needed to support a 95l compressor fridge with freezer compartment (45 watts) & with 2 x 95ah batteries & one 100w panel it should be ok for 4-9 days without EHU depending on time of year & other usage. If driving during this time then figures obviously improve. If you or anyone wants to see the spreadsheet for this then just PM.
Just found out thanks to @gerry mcg a 95Ah battery would only really have 47.5 Ah accessible (50%) before the battery is at risk of damage from deep discharge & the spreadsheet figures supplied to us don't take this into account! :eek: Looks like one panel is more borderline than we thought (know some do manage with this but depends on usage & how often motorhome is moved) so would suggest two 100w panels are the way to go.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We have a 100w panel on the roof and another freestanding 100w when required with around 300AH of batteries. We just don't have any problems and do use a lot of power also for TV, Sat, Diesel heating and computers.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Just found out thanks to @gerry mcg a 95Ah battery would only really have 47.5 Ah accessible (50%) before the battery is at risk of damage from deep discharge & the spreadsheet figures supplied to us don't take this into account! :eek: Looks like one panel is more borderline than we thought (know some do manage with this but depends on usage & how often motorhome is moved) so would suggest two 100w panels are the way to go.
Sorry :(

Life is easy

Free Member
Nov 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I hope this helps everyone who is looking for a simple non mathematical answer....I built own campervan,I live in Scotland and I have no power issues whatsoever running chinese deisel heater,led lights,fans,water tap,18l compressor fridge,and now and again inverter....All this runs perfectly well every day on 320w single solar panel and 2x 230ah deep cycle lead acid batteries.I do not have split charger or b to b charger. Simples

Life is easy

Free Member
Nov 8, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I hope this helps everyone who is looking for a simple non mathematical answer....I built own campervan,I live in Scotland and I have no power issues whatsoever running chinese deisel heater,led lights,fans,water tap,18l compressor fridge,and now and again inverter....All this runs perfectly well every day on 320w single solar panel and 2x 230ah deep cycle lead acid batteries.I do not have split charger or b to b charger. Simples

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
18l fridge ?? Couldn't you just use 3 AAA batteries? :LOL: :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back