Free Member
Jul 4, 2017
Radclife manchester
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
9 years
How long will a compressor fridge last with two 110 AMP batteries and a 100 W solar panel approximately last? Is this the best option for a short wheel-based transit camper van or is there a better-suited fridge that you recommend?

Thank you in advance,
Georgey

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I initially had the same set up as you but have had a second 100 wt solar panel added. Obviously it depends on other usage and the weather but I never ran out of battery power when away on rallies etc for 4/5 days. Now that I am confident about my power use I actually prefer the compressor fridge with freezer box. No faffing having to be totally level for the fridge to work and I feel it chills faster. Also less maintenance.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hi @georgey I have a similar set up as you and did a fun filled experiment that you can read about here!

The bottom line is it pretty well depends on the amount of time the fridge door is open and how good the weather is. Not very helpful I know. I'd say, with care, you could make it last a week or more, but if the weathers bad and you are in and out of the fridge a lot then 2 days. (y) :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The main benefit of a compressor fridge is they work better in high ambient temperatures than a gas one. They can also be installed without cutting holes in the vehicle for vents.
So It depends where you plan to go. If you intend staying in the UK you might find a gas fridge more suitable though if you are converting the van yourself a compressor fridge will be easier to install. :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
They can also be installed without cutting holes in the vehicle for vents.

Hi John
My understanding is that compressor fridges can not be boxed in without providing some kind of ventilation.
The 12v one I've been looking at required holes in the floor, and at high level.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi John
My understanding is that compressor fridges can not be boxed in without providing some kind of ventilation.
The 12v one I've been looking at required holes in the floor, and at high level.
Probably depends on the size? I know the small ones don't need external vents on the side of the vehicle but they would need internal venting and not be fully boxed in. However, I think I would prefer external vents otherwise the heat is going to escape into the interior, which might be welcome in chilly UK but not say in Spain in July. :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You need to get rid of the heat you've extracted and the best way is to the outside, especially if it's cooler there.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Not an expert by any means, but ours doesn't seem to have any external venting at all. It's just like an efficient house fridge.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Probably depends on the size? I know the small ones don't need external vents on the side of the vehicle but they would need internal venting and not be fully boxed in. However, I think I would prefer external vents otherwise the heat is going to escape into the interior, which might be welcome in chilly UK but not say in Spain in July. :)
I would prefer external venting too because it would allow you seal around the fridge internally with a view to reducing the noice from the compressor

Reactions: DBK
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Domestic integrated fridges and freezers rarely have any sort of vents and they seem to perform OK. There might be a small vent in the plinth but that is usually about it.

Richard.

OP
OP
G

georgey

Free Member
Jul 4, 2017
Radclife manchester
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
9 years
thank you all for your advice and speedy answer more qestions to come i am sure what a fantastic club cheers

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I've bitten the bullet and bought a compressor fridge, to help to up the leisure battery is there a "magic box" that will transfer the alternator to the leisure battery once the engine battery is full and/or run the fridge off the vehicle battery whilst the engine is running??

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
I've bitten the bullet and bought a compressor fridge, to help to up the leisure battery is there a "magic box" that will transfer the alternator to the leisure battery once the engine battery is full and/or run the fridge off the vehicle battery whilst the engine is running??

I think you need a B2B battery to battery thing, if you fut b2b in the search bar at top righthand of this page you should get some results.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@jetlag03, if you do decide you want a B2B then I know a Funster who has one for sale. It has never been used, was bought recently and opened but then discovered not needed. Send me a pm if interested and I will put you in touch and you can discuss price etc.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You don't need a B2B charger to charge the leisure batteries off the alternator. All most MHs have is a split charge relay, which won't cost very much and you can find wiring diagrams on line if you Google it. This will also feed power to the 'fridge when the engine is running as it will top up energy taken from the leisure batteries by the fridge.
A B2B charger is a sort of split charge relay on steroids which works by tricking the alternator into pushing out a lot more current than it would otherwise. They are a good gadget but are not cheap and as mentioned not essential unless you intend to stay off grid for a long period without solar and/or have a high power use.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back