Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I know most of you have travelled the world so have you come across campsites with composting loos. The next stage of our camp site is the loo and shower block next year and I am looking into waterless composting loos. Does anyone know about them and have you used them on campsites in your travels? Are they easy to use? Mark says will our customers use them without thinking "oh my goodness me!" Will customers accept them as they seem to in other countries.
Any help please.
Eileen:thanks2:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Dylan are these loos dependent on a natural chemical breakdown? If they are your biggest problem will be idiot camper putting chemicals into them that will subsequently ruin the eco-balance that is needed. You might have to go RV or SOG only.

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Yes natural breakdown without any chemicals needed Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You would have to watch your campers like a hawk. Some campers are terrible, I have seen them empty cassettes down the lavatory, just because they are too lazy to walk a further 10 yards to the Elsan point. You could have as many signs as you liked asking campers not to put chemicals in the loo, but I think the disgusting blue (or is it pink stuff) is so widely used that most of your campers would have it and could ruin your composting system.

C

CampaMan

Deleted User
Crossways CC site nr. Weymouth has dry composting toilets complete with signs warning parents to supervise small children in case they fall down the hole.

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
I must admit I am not familiar with a composting loo.
Is this something along the lines of hundreds of years ago with holes and hay, and poking sticks?

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Ok ignore my post above - I found this which explains it all - complete with diagrams:ROFLMAO:

Loo Link

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
It seems alot of caravan sites and local councils are using them have a look at www.natsol.co.uk but I am concerned about Jims comment as we did have someone empty their chemical "blue" loo in the ditch that fed the duck pond so will people read signs on how to use them ! Best stick with the normal loos I think.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in my opinion, until people have this type of toilet in their homes no-one will understand how they work or want to use one.
one example is the european squat plate toilet.
on a greek ferry the only one available was this type and i aint gonna stand on footplates with me arse hanging over a hole in the deck and pi**ing on me leg to boot:Angry:
same principle applies. if it aint got a cystern and water it's broken.:Angry:
just my views.

john

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back