Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi Folks
Got a new leisure battery, and somehow turned the charger off in the van :Doh:
We ended up with a completely flat battery that wouldn't even iluminate a light let along move the needle on the battery gauge.
Now the thing-is it charged up ok and has held a charge all winter albeit not to the top of the gauge, but should i trust-it or not??
I'm leaning towards not,:cry: but at less than a year old and a cost of £100 i don't want to throw it away. Dunno what to do so i thought i'd ask the experts.
Another thing, to connect another battery and double our capacity it's positive to positive and negative to negative isn't-it??

cheers nige

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
You are correct in the pos to pos etc bit. You need to test the battery, if you connect a duff one to a good one, you;ll not really gain anything and could cause problems. Did the battery have a warranty? if so, it was probably two years........? Halfords will do a drop test on if for you, or you could do a simple test by turning stuff on and seeing how long it lasts....good luck.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its still holding charge it sounds like you may be Ok.

you could do a load test with a known load to be sure using something like a 50watt car spotlight bulb and a digital voltage meter.
a regular charger wont fully charge the battery but it will be close enough to test.

let the battery stand 'off charge' for a couple of hours.

connect the meter to the battery and check voltage (should be 12.6v/12.7v), then connect the bulb as well.

check the meter regularly.

a 50w load should bring a 110ah battery voltage down to 12v (50% charge) in around 13 hours.

if the battery is knackered the time will be greatly reduced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back