Feb 6, 2012
Newton Aycliffe
Funster No
MH
Hiring one in US
Exp
First timer
Hi
I'm Alan and I have never even sat in a motor home before but this year I and my wife Kate are going to hire a motorhome (or should I say RV) in California for 6 weeks. I'm hoping to pick a few brains to learn about the joys and pitfalls of this type of holiday. My son Alasdair and his wife Sarah are walking the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mexican to the Canadian border, through California, Oregon and Washington, a total of 2650 miles, and we will be meeting up with them in a couple of places to give support, feed them up and run them to the nearest town to re-supply. Their trip will last 6 months and we will be meeting them in the Sierras between Kennedy Meadows at the south end and Yosemite Valley at the north.

Hope someone can help!

OP
OP
A

Alan Fowler

Free Member
Feb 6, 2012
Newton Aycliffe
Funster No
MH
Hiring one in US
Exp
First timer
Yeah! 20 or maybe 30 years ago I might have tried something like this myself but now I'm too creaky to live in a tent for so long so hence the motorhome.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Alan and :welcomefunster: you'll love it. I have to say having spent several weeks last year doing exactly that, you'll love it.

Must do's; Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, miss the Hoover dam and head for Zion National Park. If you have time "Brice NP" too.

Grand Canyon and much as I hate to admit it, we spent three days in Vegas. The only part of the holiday I wasn't looking forward to and it was certainly one of the highlights.

Did a little bit of Route 66 somewhere between Flagstaff and Phoenix. Death Valley and Standpipe Wells.

The list goes on and on. I have to say the Americans really do set their RV parks up well. Every site is a "pull through" so you'll probably not have to reverse into anywhere.

I think I'm talking myself into going again..........All the best Griff

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome feel free to ask any questions im sure a member on here has hired an RV in the USA before also.

Gerry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
loads of advise on here if you wait a while...

one member in particular, Forest boy, may rear his head at some point.
I believe he's RV'd every American state except Hawaii

as said, the American campsites are geared up for larger motorhomes, much more so than the UK.

and remember....the majority of 'small' American RV's are still larger than the majority of European motorhomes

you may also get a lot of advise on our sister forum.....RVOC

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
Hi Alan and :welcomefunster: you'll love it. I have to say having spent several weeks last year doing exactly that, you'll love it.

Must do's; Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, miss the Hoover dam and head for Zion National Park. If you have time "Brice NP" too.

Grand Canyon and much as I hate to admit it, we spent three days in Vegas. The only part of the holiday I wasn't looking forward to and it was certainly one of the highlights.

Did a little bit of Route 66 somewhere between Flagstaff and Phoenix. Death Valley and Standpipe Wells.

The list goes on and on. I have to say the Americans really do set their RV parks up well. Every site is a "pull through" so you'll probably not have to reverse into anywhere.

I think I'm talking myself into going again..........All the best Griff

Did you get a meal in Standpipe Wells? the waiter there is the drummer of Bill Hayley and the Comets

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]Did you get a meal in Standpipe Wells[/HI]? the waiter there is the drummer of Bill Hayley and the Comets

Yes we ate there but I don't recall anyone telling us that. Great cocktails there and made some Yank friends. Small world ain't it.

I do remember it being the worst dust storm on our journey

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
ahh vegas......breakfast..my fav meal....

a few dollars gets ya more food from so many different cultures than ya can imagine...like doing a world tour in one spot.

was it "Grits and biscuits" one of the choices....was like being a cowboy

When you are over there very near to when ya get to da big mountains look out for a tourist information post....easily spotted as its the only building I saw in 3 hours driving. they will give ya a piece of paper with drawings on when to turn off the road by looking out for a bolder shaped like this...you go down the track and there are all the boulders the Lone Ranger was made there, Rawhide, film after film....no charge...

So my only tip is..food and bears...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back