Compass gas bottle query (1 Viewer)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Whilst sorting out a battery problem on a friend's van, she explained she was off to The Lakes on a residential course for a week at the end of the month but has chosen to stay in her m/h. We checked the gas locker and there is only one 4.5 kg butane bottle fitted, she thinks she has ehu supplied and has a small oil filled radiator to take with her but realistically, she could do with changing to propane. There is room for two bottles and it has a 30mb bulkhead regulator fitted. Is it just a case of swapping the hose tail to a POL fitting and what size bottles will fit in the locker ?
Any advice from Compass owners would be appreciated. It's her first van and I'm not au fait with British marques.
20180112_113650.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes just get a new pipe for a propane bottle but as for what will fit - it looks pretty big so I would think the usual 11kg would go in but only sure way would be to measure the locker and then check the sizes of the 11kg bottles. She can use any propane bottle though so isn't restricted to Calor which is expensive especially if she has to 'rent' a bottle from them as well. She might be able to pick up a second-hand Calor bottle though via Gumtree etc so no need to 'rent' one.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Yes just get a new pipe for a propane bottle but as for what will fit - it looks pretty big so I would think the usual 11kg would go in but only sure way would be to measure the locker and then check the sizes of the 11kg bottles. She can use any propane bottle though so isn't restricted to Calor which is expensive especially if she has to 'rent' a bottle from them as well. She might be able to pick up a second-hand Calor bottle though via Gumtree etc so no need to 'rent' one.

Careful @Minxy Girl you will have Gorse Hill on your back for giving out advice like that. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like the locker has plenty of height so if fitting bigger bottles I would raise the regulator so it stays above the height of the bottle outlet to avoid a gummed up regulator.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looks like the locker has plenty of height so if fitting bigger bottles I would raise the regulator so it stays above the height of the bottle outlet to avoid a gummed up regulator.
That would mean putting in additional metal piping, my preference would simply be to make sure the connecting hose is long enough to loop down below the height of the regulator instead.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That would mean putting in additional metal piping, my preference would simply be to make sure the connecting hose is long enough to loop down below the height of the regulator instead.
True but a fairly easy job, I like to do things properly.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
OP
OP
jockaneezer
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for that folks, I wasn't sure about the regulator. I'll suggest she goes to the local Calor place and see if they will do a free swap for an 11kg propane, if not we'll get one from the scrappy or auction site.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks for that folks, I wasn't sure about the regulator. I'll suggest she goes to the local Calor place and see if they will do a free swap for an 11kg propane, if not we'll get one from the scrappy or auction site.
Make the point about propane very strongly. She'll have no heating at all in current temperatures with butane.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Additional piping = professional
It seems you was listening MG:sneaky:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
One thing to bear in mind as i can see a problem with the current set up.
When fitting any bottle try and get suitable lengths of hose so as not to have the extra hose lower than the outlet.

The condensate gathers in the hose and will cause problems.

The outlet hose going to regulator should not be allowed to get lower than the outlet.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know what compass youhave but we have a compass avantgarde and it will only take 6kg bottles but two of them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Additional piping = professional
It seems you was listening MG:sneaky:
Our current camper came with a cylinder top regulator so I actually had to install the fixed 30mb regulator myself ... shock horror! However whilst I would be more than happy to extend the metal pipework I can't see a need to do it just for the sake of attaching an exchange cylinder, but if I was doing a refillable system installation then I'd probably go the whole hog!

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
I know the threads a week old but might I just add two points

1 There are no gas dropouts ie holes in the Floor, visible. If the locker MUST be used for hoses etc then a false floor is the answer- with a gaps around it.
2 Most of the gas suppliers do give bottle sizes on their websites
Butane= no heat in cold weather ( the butane liquid in the bottle wont boil to give gas that you can burn)

Mike

OP
OP
jockaneezer
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Fitted a 6kg propane bottle, Calor exchanged it for the 4.5kg butane foc, bar £22 for the gas. Got the pol hose off them too for a tenner and £3 for a tinny bottle spanner, so the job's a good 'un ! @Mike800966, the gas locker has the proper mesh covered drop outs installed so she's safe enough.
Incidentally, she was just going to go off for the week with the original set up, I don't think there would have been enough gas left in the old bottle to boil a kettle for a cup of tea !

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
This thread is old & hopefully passed needing my newbie input, but the locker pic is enough like mine to post: Our Compass Avantgarde 120 Locker is spec'd to take 2 x 7kg bottles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back