Compass Avant Garde 200 - thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Victoria Sandwich

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Funster No
Hi Everyone

I have been enjoying the forum on here for a couple of months - lots of friendly/expert advice.

I’m going to take 9 months out next year to travel the uk - and maybe Europe if I feel brave enough and can afford it! To say I’m excited is a massive under statement. Anyway I’m a female with non existent mechanical know how, and I’ve never even stayed in a motorhome before- but I’m absolutely sure I will love it. Bro in law is going to help with the purchase in terms of mechanical knowledge. I’ve done loads of research and I’m going to make a checklist of everything I need to consider. I plan to start looking after Xmas.

I’m hoping to buy something that’s roomy enough for several months travel, sleeping 1-3 adults (sometimes I will be on my own and sometimes my partner or friends will join me), prob end lounge; not too big to drive/manoeuvre. Budget £12000.

At the moment I’m really keen on the Avant guarde 200. It’s the layout I favour and looks quite compact - and prices seem to fall within my budget.

Any thoughts from you guys would be much appreciated. Either in general or regarding this particular model.

Ps I’m planning on getting breakdown cover and learning some v basic maintenance,

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
We have one too and absolutely love it. We find bed making easy. We store the bedding in the overcab and I reach up and pass it to Sue to make up the bed. 10 minutes tops. Love the end lounge for feet up lazing. We did have a swivel fitted to the passenger seat so I could sit and have an early morning cuppa while Sue lays in bed. Just our tradition :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have one too and absolutely love it. We find bed making easy. We store the bedding in the overcab and I reach up and pass it to Sue to make up the bed. 10 minutes tops. Love the end lounge for feet up lazing. We did have a swivel fitted to the passenger seat so I could sit and have an early morning cuppa while Sue lays in bed. Just our tradition :)
We also have a swivel seat but don't use it much , in practice we leave our bed up and just roll the bed clothes back and use it as a big sofa and as the table is not fixed just put it up and sit on the bed .

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
What month/s are you thinking of visiting the UK. Some months can require a heater, which can be a learning curve in itself.
You could join a camping club or use the UK equivalent of French 'Aires', plenty information in the 'Camperstop' books or, if you want to meet a lot of different people and do a lot of touring, consider buying 'Britstops' which is a book full of places to stop for free providing you have a drink or meal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Victoria Sandwich

Victoria Sandwich

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Funster No
Thanks all for your comments. All v encouraging so far re the avantguard

I’m planning on starting my travels in the uk around April next year. If all goes well heading off to Europe for the last few months of the year. Hopefully heating won’t be required.

Like the sound of Britstops!

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
http://www.britstops.com/

If you intend touring Europe towards the end of the year, you could also consider getting an ACSI card, not expensive but will allow you to get very low prices at Campsites all over Europe.
The use of "Aires" has become very popular over recent years, many being free or inexpensive, most provide basic facilities and occasionally even free electricity
Touring in France mid-winter can present some problems if you wish to use camping sites, for most will be closed. It also gets cold and many places turn off water taps.
Personally I use 'Camperstop', 'All the Aires France' or Spain, Italy etc.... (from Vicarious Books).
Many people now use 'CamperContact' which can be downloaded to your mobile phone, the basic version is free but still good.
Have FUN!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back