Free Member
Oct 17, 2017
Reading Berkshire uk
Funster No
MH
Mercedes landsleeper spr
Exp
One year
Hi all I am hoping to start traveling in Europe next spring hoping to visit the Netherlands Switzerland Germany France Portugal and Spain . However I would prefer it if I could find a traveling companion. Hoping to free camp the majority of the time but not too worried if campsites are used .is there anyone out there who is looking for the same sort of trip ?

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Not us, we are staying in the UK this year. Our do is coming to us for a change..

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Linda Jane welcome to fun, if your a solo traveler then have a look at our solo forum, i think you need to be a fully paid up member never looked in there so wouldn't know :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
:welcome4: to Fun Linda. You'll get plenty of feedback from our lady and solo members but you will only get 5 posts unless you subscribe. For £15 a year it will open up the whole site and a mine of information.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
@movan ... you know you wanna..

@Linda jane ... if you are deadly serious... I recommend one join the forum.. tis only £15 .. I think...

Oh!.. and welcome :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is there something I'm missing? Does Jim pay commission if you persuade someone to sign up? :)

But to Linda Jane - welcome! You might be lucky and find someone but your trip seems quite ambitious and may not suit everyone. We're on the way back now from a trip to Sicily, returning through Switzerland (expensive but beautiful!) and now in France having been away 8 weeks and 4.5K miles. The thought of then going on to Spain and Portugal seems a bit much to me at the moment - I need to go back home. :)

My suggestion would be aim for a shorter trip, find someone to go with you (in your vehicle or their own?) and if you hit it off plan a longer trip with them. France would be ideal for this - plenty of free or low cost (€2 for water) aires to choose from

As an aside, from my limited experience of Switzerland, you may struggle to find wild camping spots. It is permitted, apart from around Geneva, but the place is so regimented and manicured there ain't a lot of waste ground. :) However, there are places, we found a few, but I would look for aires or ACSI campsites between the summer or winter periods, which are their high season.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to Motorhome Fun. @DBK I think the main reason people recommend joining is that some questions can not be dealt with just 5 free posts that people get before joining, like this lady, there are indeed people that get together for support on trips abroad like the trip to Morocco for the last few years, and a group of lady Funsters have just had a good holiday in France, but these things can't be arranged if your not a full member as Fletton says £15 a year.
Good luck with your reaserch spend a little time reading the forum and you will get an idea of what is going on, sounds as if you are planning a exciting trip.
:welcomesign:

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Welcome LJ.
From time to time I've also wished to have company whilst travelling Europe. Shared experiences, decisions, support, ideas, planning etc. can be more fun and have a greater dimension than when travelling solo.
I will again be wandering Europe next year. However, whether going in one m/h or sharing one I feel that setting off on an extended trip can be problematic unless there is a certain compatibility of personality. E.g. how far and how fast to travel each day, Autoroutes or back roads, how long to stay in one place, interests, type of food preferred, whether each prefers an early departure at the crack of dawn or a more leisurely regime. Many years ago I worked as a yacht charter skipper in the Med taking say 3 couples previously unknown to each other and it was sometimes very hard work to maintain harmony aboard!
In short I think that rather than setting off on an extensive tour a short shakedown trip or two or meeting up at Solos event would be advisable.
Indicating where you are would be a help.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
As a solo male .i enjoy my travels alone , but its nice to meet up with another for a few days to share experiences.food and wine in good company. Whatever you decide don't rush any where.I like to travel a couple of hours a day on non toll roads as its cheaper and much more interesting...Roy

Kjack

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Chard
Funster No
MH
Iveco daily
Exp
Since 2010
Hi L J .I am of on the 13 jan out of Portsmouth I intend to travel down the Atlantic coast Spain Portugal Gib and back up through the Costas I'm in no rush plan to be away about 3 MThs but there is no time limit if you fancy tagging along give me a shout .Plus any one else about then give me a shout .Kjack

OP
OP
Linda jane

Linda jane

Free Member
Oct 17, 2017
Reading Berkshire uk
Funster No
MH
Mercedes landsleeper spr
Exp
One year
Well thanks everyone I think that meeting up and having a short trip .aye In the UK would be good to see how compatible we would be. I am quite flexible I am based in Reading
At present but will be moving to Wiltshire before travelling. I will join the site and see what developed ie when the next meeting is and where so I can get to meet some of you. You are a friendly group and iv much to learn.
Linda

OP
OP
Linda jane

Linda jane

Free Member
Oct 17, 2017
Reading Berkshire uk
Funster No
MH
Mercedes landsleeper spr
Exp
One year
Welcome LJ.
From time to time I've also wished to have company whilst travelling Europe. Shared experiences, decisions, support, ideas, planning etc. can be more fun and have a greater dimension than when travelling solo.
I will again be wandering Europe next year. However, whether going in one m/h or sharing one I feel that setting off on an extended trip can be problematic unless there is a certain compatibility of personality. E.g. how far and how fast to travel each day, Autoroutes or back roads, how long to stay in one place, interests, type of food preferred, whether each prefers an early departure at the crack of dawn or a more leisurely regime. Many years ago I worked as a yacht charter skipper in the Med taking say 3 couples previously unknown to each other and it was sometimes very hard work to maintain harmony aboard!
In short I think that rather than setting off on an extensive tour a short shakedown trip or two or meeting up at Solos event would be advisable.
Indicating where you are would be a help.

OP
OP
Linda jane

Linda jane

Free Member
Oct 17, 2017
Reading Berkshire uk
Funster No
MH
Mercedes landsleeper spr
Exp
One year
Lots of good advice. When do you think you'll be starting off.
Perhaps we could arrange to meet up at a rally and discuss our plans.

OP
OP
Linda jane

Linda jane

Free Member
Oct 17, 2017
Reading Berkshire uk
Funster No
MH
Mercedes landsleeper spr
Exp
One year
As a solo male .i enjoy my travels alone , but its nice to meet up with another for a few days to share experiences.food and wine in good company. Whatever you decide don't rush any where.I like to travel a couple of hours a day on non toll roads as its cheaper and much more interesting...Roy

OP
OP
Linda jane

Linda jane

Free Member
Oct 17, 2017
Reading Berkshire uk
Funster No
MH
Mercedes landsleeper spr
Exp
One year
Thanks for your thoughts. I have no real preference and am in no hurry to get anywhere I would rather enjoy the journey sometimes just moving on when I feel like it. Everyday is a different choice to make. As a female I think I would be happier with company at least to start with.

OP
OP
Linda jane

Linda jane

Free Member
Oct 17, 2017
Reading Berkshire uk
Funster No
MH
Mercedes landsleeper spr
Exp
One year
Is there something I'm missing? Does Jim pay commission if you persuade someone to sign up? :)

But to Linda Jane - welcome! You might be lucky and find someone but your trip seems quite ambitious and may not suit everyone. We're on the way back now from a trip to Sicily, returning through Switzerland (expensive but beautiful!) and now in France having been away 8 weeks and 4.5K miles. The thought of then going on to Spain and Portugal seems a bit much to me at the moment - I need to go back home. :)

My suggestion would be aim for a shorter trip, find someone to go with you (in your vehicle or their own?) and if you hit it off plan a longer trip with them. France would be ideal for this - plenty of free or low cost (€2 for water) aires to choose from

As an aside, from my limited experience of Switzerland, you may struggle to find wild camping spots. It is permitted, apart from around Geneva, but the place is so regimented and manicured there ain't a lot of waste ground. :) However, there are places, we found a few, but I would look for aires or ACSI campsites between the summer or winter periods, which are their high season.

OP
OP
Linda jane

Linda jane

Free Member
Oct 17, 2017
Reading Berkshire uk
Funster No
MH
Mercedes landsleeper spr
Exp
One year
Thanks for this info . I don't mind if I complete my travels in one two or even three years coming home between countries or not at present I am very flexible all I know is there's lots out there and there's no reason I shouldn't go and see it for myself. I realise now that there is lots to think of before setting off. Going with an experienced traveller would have lots of advantages.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for this info . I don't mind if I complete my travels in one two or even three years coming home between countries or not at present I am very flexible all I know is there's lots out there and there's no reason I shouldn't go and see it for myself. I realise now that there is lots to think of before setting off. Going with an experienced traveller would have lots of advantages.
We are in Brittany at the moment, at the winding down stage of the trip, or perhaps just dragging our feet and putting off the return to the UK!

Our trips so far have been of the "touring" type, that is moving on every few days and often after only one. This suits us but I can also see the attraction of going somewhere and staying put for umpteen weeks. If you choose the right place you will meet up with others and have some company.

I still recommend France as a starting point. It's easy to get to and there is a huge choice of places to stay. Shopping is very easy almost everywhere - just find a supermarket. The downside is it isn't the place for the warmest weather in winter. :) You also won't find many Brits here in winter - they will be heading off to Spain and Portugal.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Lots of good advice. When do you think you'll be starting off.
Perhaps we could arrange to meet up at a rally and discuss our plans.

Who, me? :unsure:
I'm always ready (that's 'ready' as in I only need an hour to put a few bits in the m/h) but at this time of year I usually stick to the U.K. (with an eye on the forecast) for a bracing few days or a week at a time in Dorset, Somerset, Wilts, or on the Norfolk Broads then back home for a warm up and a bit of luxury! I usually start my European travels end April/Early May, heading South as a rule with no particular plan but just following the road to anywhere that looks interesting.
I've never been to any 'Solos' event but intend to do so this year but have been a bit reluctant (ahem.....shy) to go alone !! How daft is that?
I'm not sure how one makes contact with other Funsters so will have to investigate that, and also find the rally programme which I believe is on this site somewhere.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Who, me? :unsure:
I'm always ready (that's 'ready' as in I only need an hour to put a few bits in the m/h) but at this time of year I usually stick to the U.K. (with an eye on the forecast) for a bracing few days or a week at a time in Dorset, Somerset, Wilts, or on the Norfolk Broads then back home for a warm up and a bit of luxury! I usually start my European travels end April/Early May, heading South as a rule with no particular plan but just following the road to anywhere that looks interesting.
I've never been to any 'Solos' event but intend to do so this year but have been a bit reluctant (ahem.....shy) to go alone !! How daft is that?
I'm not sure how one makes contact with other Funsters so will have to investigate that, and also find the rally programme which I believe is on this site somewhere.
The rally calendar can be found by clicking 'rallies' (imaginitive eh?;)) in the dark blue strap line that runs under the 'fun' logo near the top of the page. OR click 'forums' (within the same blue strap line) and then you'll see the scheduled rallies and the rally planning section.:)

Everyone is welcome at the meets, whether part of a couple or on your own & it's up to you how much you join in, there's no pressure. It might be easier to start with one of the smaller meets as you will get more chance to chat to people. I also think it's a good idea to get involved in the forum a little as it gives you the chance to get to 'know' folks albeit virtually. It doesn't feel such a huge step then when you're driving onto the rally site:). Just my opinion of course.
Oh and if a meet is full it's still worth putting your name down if there's a reserve list as plans do change.

Hope to see you both in a field somewhere.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Thanks @Debs. I've found it now (and a lot of the other useful features on this site), since to date and although I've been a subscriber for nearly 3 years I've only been accessing the Forums.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks @Debs. I've found it now (and a lot of the other useful features on this site), since to date and although I've been a subscriber for nearly 3 years I've only been accessing the Forums.
Glad to help - you're obviously not as nosey as me:D2 but then I am part of the Nosey Mares Club

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back