Compact Coachbuilt... and storage (layout options) (1 Viewer)

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Hi, I guess I'm new here, I'm (Hopefully) returning to motorhomes (not metronomes, private joke;) after selling my last motorhome in 2002. I have more time now, had a quick look at a couple of dealers, and I notice how things have changed !
Unfortunately the screen price of these vehicles has gone up like everything else, the £26.500 that we paid for a Bessacarr E435 in 2001 has gone up rather a lot, possibly to around £42,000 ? I sure wish I still had that van, anyway.....
The criteria now, is for an attempt at much the same layout, although in this new (to me) compact style coach-built. we'd like to keep the dimensions of the vehicle as neat as we can, reducing the length to the 5.7-ish of the Elddis Autoquest 115 would be lovely, or at worst close to 6m of some of the Accordo range. We didn't have a great experience with our 'Swift-group' bessacarr, so I bought a change to Elddis might be good, open to other options too. We'll be losing the height and some of the width of the old Bessacarr, so I'm looking forward to a less stressful, more car-like driving experience.
The Bessacarr had, at the front, a side facing sofa, with a 4 seater dinette, which could be left in place, and it's main bed over the cab. End kitchen, and corner shower room. This layout really suits us, but we have to make some changes for the compact replacement.
We looked at the Elddis Autoquest 115, it has two side facing sofa's at the front, then matching the Bessacarr behind that, with end kitchen and corner shower room.
One of the problems that we had with the Bessacarr was lack of storage, it was lovely and open in the living space, but lacked large cupboards or storage areas.
Elddis Accordo range has a similar vehicle to the Autoquest, the Accordo 105 is similar, but with a rear shower room and side kitchen
I guess I'm trying to almost achieve the impossible, I have a couple of Bromton folding bikes, they're 62cm x 62cm, and it struck me that it these small vans, it's likely that there is nowhere to store them ? I'm guessing that there is little space under those sofa's ?
We clearly need to make our way down to our local dealer, we can have a measure up of some options, I just wondered if anyone has advice, or knows the size of the storage under those Autoquest 115 sofa's ?

Paul

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I do answer my own questions, I find myself having full-on conversations sometimes ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Take care when you talk to yourself:
As you get older you may find the conversations stop making sense.
Worse:
If they develop into an argument, you may even start to lose!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi & welcome :hi: We are selling our 6m motorhome with large garage soon so will PM (Private Message) you to see if our "wildcard" may be of interest to you or at least it's another type of layout to consider if you want storage space. Look at your Inbox at the top right hand corner for our message.

Reactions: Mel
OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
I'm thinking that Accordo 105 and Autoquest 115 are in the shortlist for that dealer visit

whats the score with 'Dealer Specials' ? an earlier phone call to my local dealer quickly turned into them trying to offer an upgraded special edition version of one of these elddis vans, what concerned me there was firstly it was £7000 more (but the salesman mentioned that they can discount them close to the price of the standard elddis model) and secondly that I would be buying some unknown special model ? is it usual to see this type of van, something in me just tells me to stick with the standard models

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Whereabouts are you from PJ ? The Elldis factory at Consett often has open-days where you can see them being built. Also the local Marquis dealer, Birtley, can arrange a factory visit for you if you really are interested in buying a new 105 or 115 (or their variant from them).

We very nearly bought a 155 from new, but when we saw a Chausson Flash 10 stood next to a 155 and compared them the Chausson won hands down !!

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Hi Geordies, I'm only just over 100 miles from the Elddis factory, I could give them a call and see about open days, that sounds very interesting

(I'll also take a look at the Chausson, my local dealer sells that make too)

trouble is, I don't really have the budget for busting through £43,000ish, I'm blessed with other expensive hobbies to fund :(

....... I just had a look at the Chausson Flash 530, and OMG, wow! I'm going to break my £43,000 budget, that didn't take long ;). Thanks very much regarding the tip to look at Chausson, it's on the shortlist !

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a couple of Bromton folding bikes, they're 62cm x 62cm, and it struck me that it these small vans, it's likely that there is nowhere to store them ? I'm guessing that there is little space under those sofa's ?

Rather than using space under the sofa for bikes, you could consider a Fiamma back box and put the bikes in that.

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
Hi, I guess I'm new here, I'm (Hopefully) returning to motorhomes (not metronomes, private joke;) after selling my last motorhome in 2002...

...The criteria now, is for an attempt at much the same layout, although in this new (to me) compact style coach-built. we'd like to keep the dimensions of the vehicle as neat as we can, reducing the length to the 5.7-ish of the Elddis Autoquest 115 would be lovely, or at worst close to 6m...

...I guess I'm trying to almost achieve the impossible, I have a couple of Bromton folding bikes, they're 62cm x 62cm, and it struck me that it these small vans, it's likely that there is nowhere to store them?

...or knows the size of the storage under those Autoquest 115 sofa's ?

Paul

I had a look at the Elddis 115. The thing that I personally did not like was the fact that there did not seem to be a permanent dinette. Much of what you wrote was what I wanted when I bought mine. I returned to the hobby in 2016 after a long break, and wanted something under 6 metres. I also wanted protected storage for two folding bikes, ie, no outside storage racks.

In the end, I did find something that fitted my wishes, even if the layout could be better. Under 6 metres, (5999mm!), garage for the bikes, as well as 3 to 4 berth. So its not imposssible!

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We had an Adria Matrix Axess 590 SG, the 2014 model we had had a decent height wardrobe that we shelved out as we don't take clothes that have to be hung up. It also has a decent outside locker /garage for the bikes, all in 5.99 metres. Ours also had really capacious lockers all around the cab but the later models only have open shelves. We only changed it for a slightly bigger Burstner with a longitudinal bed that drops lower and is easier to get into. Not sure if they are available second hand in your budget, but well worth a look.

OP
OP
Paul J

Paul J

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Good afternoon all, thanks for your replies. I've had a couple of trips around the dealers, I had a quick look at swift Bessacarr, which I don't believe this time will be for me, I found the Chasson 530 Welcome, and I really like it, a great use of space, and it's nice and modern, something that I can't say about the Elddis (although some of the specials can look a bit more up to the minute perhaps). In the Chausson I was looking in the back of the washroom at the wardrobe (a wardrobe in a washroom, who would have thought it ?) and I could see daylight coming in the corner through a gap in the panel ? pretty odd. I'd been walking around in the van for approx 5 minutes, and after I left, I did notice the rear top corner marker light was lit, it went out as I was watching it, I wonder if that was lit when I was in the van and I was seeing the back of it from inside, anyway, loved the van, super mod, like a mini Hilton hotel, very trick, is the fuel heating good ? I wonder ?
Then I spend a while in the Elddis, instantly felt somewhat 'almost' old fashioned, but my god, its so comfortable lounging on those plush sofa's, it reminded me of caravanning in my youth, very homely indeed. Of the different models, I like the 135, I could see us eating at the front (small) table on occasions, and having the option of leaving the rear sofa's in their bed configuration, also like the rear hatch, and ability to fold up those rear seats and use the huge storage. Downsides..... no shower cubicle, but then I hate cleaning shower glass, and the wardrobe is insanely small. I like the van, I like the way it looks a decent size, because you can see right through to the back, and I like the 3 rear windows around that lounge seating, something (I think) the 125 model does not have ?
Interesting stuff, more thought required, still need to wait until the other half is back off her hols, and to get some second opinions. For me, the Elddis seen well thought out, and well priced.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back